Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Which way to smoke?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Which way to smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 03:11 PM
djmp69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which way to smoke?

Trying to decide on which smoke system to go with. I've heard both pros and cons from users and witnesses of both TME and the Skywriter. The most I've heard the TMEis less of a pain to set up but the Sullivan Skywriter puts out more smoke. I'm going for Sean Tucker "airshow" type smoke, not the simple puff you get fro a 4S when you get on the gas. As I am a geek, I don't mind a little "within-reason" tinkering to ge it set rightthat's what we do in this hobby anyway right (at least REAL hobbyists anyway)? I'm just wondering if anyone has any input as to if the tinkering needed with either one is beyond reasonable versus the final result, how well rates can be programmed/controlled, failure ratesthat kinda stuff? Engine is a DLE 55.

ANDPLEASE: Real world, RELATIVE responses only!

Thanks all in advance!
Old 06-05-2012, 03:26 PM
The Ghost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which way to smoke?

I don't know adout the TME one but the Skywriter works great, setup is a bit of a pain with the radio but it works. Just have to follow the instructions.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70486.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	1769488  
Old 06-05-2012, 07:16 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a TME smoke pump and it has been nothing but problems. As far as setting it up with the radio, no problems. You use the end points to control how much fluid it pumps into the muffler. The first couple of flights were perfect. She put out good smoke and functioned as designed. Then the problems started. It takes forever to prime it and then it only pumps when it wants to. I have pulled it in and out of the plane so many times, it should be on wheels. I have checked everything that can be checked as far as the plumbing goes and I cannot find any problems. I did get a Sullivan pump and I am in the process of changing it out so I will be able to give a report on that in the next couple of weeks. Good Luck, Dave
Old 06-06-2012, 05:30 AM
KW_Counter

I have a Sullivan Streamer on my fuel can.
It works wonderful and never a priming problem.
I don't know the differences between this and the Skywriter.
I only mention this in support of Sullivan products; hope it helps.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 06-06-2012, 08:53 PM
djmp69

ORIGINAL: KW_Counter

I have a Sullivan Streamer on my fuel can.
It works wonderful and never a priming problem.
I don't know the differences between this and the Skywriter.
I only mention this in support of Sullivan products; hope it helps.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Ok, again, I am asking about smoke systems for an airplane. I am NOT talking about a pump to get the oil into the tank, I am talking about the system that actually pumps the oil to the muffler. Thanks all that paid attention for your very informative responses. Looks like its a tossup given all the variables, as I've heard and read successes and failures from both.

Actually got some really good, useful info here, thanks guys,

Happy Flying!

Old 06-07-2012, 04:12 AM
wannabflyboy
My Feedback: (10)

Harris makes the best smoke pump IMO. A guy at my field tried them all and now he uses Harris, so do I.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:33 AM
KW_Counter

djmp,

I was not speaking in specifics about a can pump.
From what I can see the Streamer and Skywriter are similar cases.
I believe the Skywriter is designed to pump smoke to the muffler.
In addition, they make a Streamer designed for smoke fluid and diesel.

Before you jump on someone for trying to help I suggest you get your facts straight!

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 06-07-2012, 06:46 AM
raptureboy

I'm using a SonicTronics pump.Easy to set up and very light. Can be run on 4.8- 7.2 volts so I use a lipo to power it. The price was resonable compared to some others. http://www.advantagehobby.com/77025/SOT1261/
Old 06-08-2012, 09:58 PM
djmp69

Get my facts straight? Ok, hows this:

FACT: I specifically asked about differences between a Sullivan Skywriter, and the TME system.
FACT: You wrote that you have a "Sullivan Streamer on [your] fuel can" (your words, not mine), so yes, you were speaking pretty specifically about a can pump.
FACT: The Skywriter is an on board smoke pump to get smoke oil to the mufflerthe Streamer is a pump to get oil into the smoke tank that feeds the pump (though, I'll give that if you rig it enough, you can use it as a smoke system for a plane).
FACT: You said that you "don't know the differences between this and the Skywriter." again, your words, not mine (looks like I'm not the one with non-straight facts).

FACT: Ido appreciate your input and willingness to help (seriously), and I was not jumping on you, I was simply pointing out what the original question was. I notice here that most times, the original question gets forgotten because people eventually get away from the point of the thread and introduce subject that has nothing to do with what the OP was asking about. Case in point, there have already been two other brands introduced into the thread, neither of which are Sullivan or TME. Again, no face-smack to them for their input, just those do not answer the questions I had.

Straight enough?
Old 06-09-2012, 02:25 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am using the Skywriter pump with a DLE 55 and it works great. I am using a Futaba 9z with the ratesat 100% onrate A and45% on rate B on the gearchannel. It was very easy to set up on my 9Z and several guys at the field are using it with JR systems as well. 100.00 bucksfor everything you need, ( except the Streamer .lol.sorry I could'nt help it) I say go for it!! HTH, Rotten Out!!!
Old 06-09-2012, 05:42 AM
tomfiorentino

Good grief my friend! Slow your roll maybe?

Just saying....

Tom