Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Magnum engines?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Magnum engines?

Old 06-30-2012, 04:14 AM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Magnum engines?

Does anyone know about these Magnum 4-stroke engines? any good? Im looking at the 91 4-strokes,,,I cant believe the price, pretty good, but dont want to get stuck with a dog

THX TAZZZZ[:-]
Old 06-30-2012, 04:35 AM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Magnum engines?

I have 4 of em, a 120, 70 and 2- 52's, their not a saito or an OS, but run good and I'm not having any problems with any of them
Old 06-30-2012, 04:43 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And I won't even keep them when I get them in a trade. If you buy new then you will either get one you like or hate, it can go either way. If the RCU search engine is working do a search on it, you will find people either love them or hate them. I keep one around once in a while as a parts engine.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:57 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

I have two of the 91s. For the price they can not be beat.

Bruce
Old 06-30-2012, 06:05 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I would have to say I am one of the ones who love them. I have 7 fs engines and all run very well. I have not had an issue with them. I have read where others have had problems. I must be lucky. I am happy with my Magnum egines.

There are those that hate them and have not run one. There are those that will say they are the best to their dieing day.

It is just like the radio debate, brand "A" is better then brand "B" You will see very little middle ground.

I have engines from a lot of manufacturers. Each has it quirks. I have only had one engine I could not make run. Never did figure it out.

Buzz.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:14 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"It is just like the radio debate, brand "A" is better then brand "B" You will see very little middle ground. "

Not quite a Chevy vs Ford argument, more like Chevy/Ford vs Rolls Royce. The difference is in quality control. As Forest Gump said, it is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get. The problem with Magnum, is they are OS look alikes, WITHOUT the quality control of OS, so you WILL get some that are just fine, and some that are garbage, you toss your coin and take your pick. I you are happy with maybe having to buy several to get a good one, go for it. I prefer to know what I have when I open the box.

Les
Old 06-30-2012, 06:42 AM
tazzzz

Yea,,Ive always go with OS. I just saw the price and became overwelmed. (if it aint broke dont fix it) Ill stick with OS. THX
Old 06-30-2012, 07:52 AM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 91 4-S is the only magnum I currently own. It is the newest version before the blue valve cover. It runs fine but the needle valve was so loose right out of the box I was afraid it would fall out so I used some fuel tubing over it and it is just fine. An OS or Saito it isn't but for the price you won't go wrong.

Fred
Old 06-30-2012, 08:56 AM
carrellh

My brother and I bought a bunch of Magnum 91s when Hobby People was selling them for 150 or less. Tower matched the price, and had 'offer codes,' so some were closer to 100 than 150.

There is a lot of variation in our collection. With 15% nitro and 14x6 prop, peak rpm ranges from under 9000 to over 10400. That is a HUGE difference in performance in the air. One of the engines had the crankshaft break twice. Global fixed it for free both times but it could have been an expensive problem if the Hog Bipe had crashed as a result of the engine failure.

We now wish we had bought a few OS or Saito engines instead of many Magnums.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep in mind I never said I hate them, I just said I wouldn't own one. I have a lot of engines and at this time they are pretty much all four strokes. I rate them as YS #1, OS #2 and Saito #3 and I know others that would argue about that too. The prices of what I think of as the big three is enough to keep people away from them though.
At this point in time we are seeing a number of very good little gas engines that are way cheaper and so much cheaper to operate. I wouldn't buy another glow engine. Today I was offered a great deal on some YS, OS and Saitos but gave them a pass. My buddy posted them on all the web sites so if you want to look they are posted on RCU in the market place. Some very good OS 1.08s and a twin Saito.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:41 PM
birddogs2
My Feedback: (2)

I have four Magnum four strokes 2 .91's, .70, and a .52, plus an ASP .91 FS (which is a Magnum),  they run great.  One of the problems people have is cam timing.  Some of them are timed at 6:00 which in incorrect.  The cam timing mark should be at 5:30, which will be in line with the valve push rod tubes.  The valve lash specification is .04 to .10 mm, set them at .06mm cold and the engines will run just fine.  If you just have to say you fly only OS or whatever go ahead and pay the difference in price, but the average flyer won't see the performance difference versus the price difference.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:31 PM
Wild Wings

Right now I'm running five, 4-strokes. One OS 70, two OS 91's, Magnum 91 and a Saito 1.50. All of the engines run well. Without hesitation I would purchase another one of any of these engines.
As to comparing the OS's to the Magnum, they all do there job well. All the 91's are in different type airframes and run different props so it is very hard to say which is the better of the bunch.
Safe Landings, Larry
Old 06-30-2012, 06:45 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

You can get a Magnum .91 for $139 and a .52 for $99 right now, which is a pretty good deal.
Sure the quality is not quite like an OS, but Magnum just has the better prices.
I have both OS and Magnum and they all run great with no problems.
And I would not hesitate to buy another Magnum engine.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:02 PM
SRQFlyer
My Feedback: (17)

Magnums are a bit of a "cr*p shoot". I currently have two .61s (4/s) that are fine - not real powerful, but reliable. I am the engine repair guy for the SRQ club and have overhauled over a dozen Magnum 4-strokes. Some were good (powerful and reliable) and some were dogs - one even had a hole mis-drilled into the chamber above the inlet valve in the head! Some have good compression, some not. For the low price, I would take the chance, though.
My 2c,
JIm
Old 06-30-2012, 07:18 PM
flyoz
My Feedback: (7)

I have ASP/magnum 52s 4s and they run fine. quality is good. i think you can rest assured that they run better/ more reliably/better QC than engines of yesteryear (in the mainbefore I start some sort of argument).

I must say that for a Kit build DC3 with twins i would only go Saito or OS for twin reliability but thats just being super cautious.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:19 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: tazzzz

Does anyone know about these Magnum 4-stroke engines? any good? Im looking at the 91 4-strokes,,,I cant believe the price, pretty good, but dont want to get stuck with a dog

THX TAZZZZ[:-]
Believe the price because they are not even worth that. I was fooled once since I believed they were an OS clone, there not. Save your money and buy an OS with a pump.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:33 PM
JerryM
My Feedback: (685)

I own about 6 Mangum 4 cycle engines. Run great out of the box. Can't beat the price right now for the .91. Crashed one but have not worn out any.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:03 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your one of the fortunate.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:02 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: flycatch

Your one of the fortunate.

Then this makes me #2 of the fortunate. I'll take a Magnum over an OS every day. You actually get the engine you pay for.

Brian
Old 06-30-2012, 09:08 PM
rcmichael
My Feedback: (21)

I have 4 Magnum FS engines, and all run well. I am getting identical rpm with my.91 magnum as I have with my O.S. I think it boils down to money on this one since performance is the same.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:51 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

Love them.  The blue head engines run fine.  90% of this thread so far like them.  That should say something for them!  I took the underpowered Evo 46 out of my PTS P-51 and stuck a Magnum .91 in it.  Put a 3 blade prop on her just for looks. Best flying plane I have. Looks good, sounds good and flies great~! 
Old 07-01-2012, 03:13 AM
Phoenixangel

In my experience.... I have several Magnum engines, and have bought and sold several others. They are usually just fine, and offer good value. However on two occasions I had engines come out of the box with issues. One would not run properly no matter what I did to it. I sent it back to be repaired and was simply sent a new engine, good service if you ask me.

The second engine that had issues came new in box with rough feeling bearings. Also warranty replaced.

So for the most part you get a good value, on occasion you get disappointed and have to wait for a warranty service repair or replacement.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:27 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

And I won't even keep them when I get them in a trade. If you buy new then you will either get one you like or hate, it can go either way. If the RCU search engine is working do a search on it, you will find people either love them or hate them. I keep one around once in a while as a parts engine.
You won't keep them even in a trade but you will use them as a parts engine? If they are that bad why would yu use them for parts? Geez, Magnums are the same as an older OS except made by cheaper labor in China instead of Japan. The design is the same and the parts are interchangeable. And if you get a bad one you send it back and get a new one. Since they are roughly half the cost of an OS buy 2 and use the second one for parts for the first
Old 07-01-2012, 06:13 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

" Magnums are the same as an older OS except made by cheaper labor in China instead of Japan."

And cheaper materials, and cheaper machining, etc., etc., etc.

Les
Old 07-01-2012, 07:07 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

I only have one, I got a 91 4s,in an assembled never flown plane, that I bought here at the market place.
I have flown it twice and have being in the bench the rest of the time.
First off it came w/o HS needle, then the valves came off, then it was diff to make it iddle, then the valves came off the pushrod, then..........

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.