Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Why buy a kit just to have it?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Why buy a kit just to have it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 05:47 AM
furledd
My Feedback: (43)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why buy a kit just to have it?

I see lots of people with old unopened vintage kits selling for big dollars - are these collected by people who then also never build them?

Some of those old Wing Mfg or Nosen or Marituka kits take hundreds of hours of work if you buy to build thats one thing, but it also ends up someone might buy a kit and then never intends to build it. Just have it on a shelf and say "I have that kit and look its unbuilt" ?

And the seeming obsession with having it "pristine and not started" is this like getting an uncirculated coin for your collection - to try and hang on to it to see if it will appreciate in value and someone else will buy it for more and also not build it?

The fact you can usually buy a old plane already built for the same or less than the new unbuilt kit makes no sense to me but for people who want to fly there airplanes I guess that's a good thing - as its free labor by someone

I see estates for sale that someone very old died with 1000 unbuilt kits that he accumulated - whats up with that??? Is this another form of "Hoarders" ??
If it was to appreciate and make money then that plan didnt work out very well for them .... because "plane jockeys" that go into estates and buy 10 cents on the dollar and try to turn around and make a big profit, thats understandable as its the american way to make a profit and earn a living if you work hard.

But this "unbuilt kit swapping" baffles me.

If this has been covered in the past - I didnt seem to find the thread....

I hope no one yells at me for being ignorant on this - please enlighten me

Have a pleasant 4th of July to all!
Old 07-04-2012, 06:47 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Why buy a kit just to have it?

When I first heard about people having boxes and boxes of un-built airplanes, I didn't understand at all. I thought I would NEVER have boxes of airplanes just sitting around my house.

I have 2 boxes stuffed under/behind my workbench, and just bought another airplane. All planes I really wanted, and thought I'd find time to get them started. But life gets busy and free time more sparse.

My significant other is away for 2 weeks. I was really hoping I'd get the Bonanza at least started. But I ended up finding the plane I really really wanted in Michigan, so one weekend was spent travelling to get it, and the rest of the time cleaning up and selling airplane stuff to afford the electronics for the new guy.

I still have a few days, but need to get some flying in between all the busy work!
Old 07-04-2012, 06:50 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I build kits because I enjoy it and the sense of satisfaction after a maiden flight is very high. As for hoarding kit's, yes I do it. The reasons are many but I will start with a few. First, some of the older kits build into planes that the ARF world will never be able to duplicate. Second is cost. As mentioned else where on RCU, Tower just raised the price of kits and if you watch, you can get the same kits for alot less here in the Market Place or on the Bay. Third, I will be retiring in a couple of years and will not have the same cash flow that I now have, so yes I have hoarding the kits for my retired years because reality says I will not be able to buy as many as I do now. If I pass before the hoarding pile is gone, I have made arraingments to have my collection liquidated for the going rate at the time. Given how much Tower just raised the prices, my kits can be sold for good money and be making money as well. Good Luck, Dave
Old 07-04-2012, 06:59 AM
carrellh

I do not understand stockpiling them with no intention of building them.

I do understand it if you plan to build them as the supply is limited, especially with discontinued items.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:33 AM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

As stated earlier, I buy them, looking forward to retirement, and as an investment. I would make money on most of the kits I have bought, or at least break even. Plus there is the history. Also the fact that they would not make an ARF of most of the kits I have. Its nice to go out to the field and have a plane most ARF jockeys will never have. Plus it will not look the same as all the others.

Vince
Old 07-04-2012, 07:38 AM
mikegordon10

Well, there are several different types of "modelers" if you will.
Two of these around these parts are refereed to as - Buyers or Flyers.
It's easy to buy but mot so easy to build. I guess this is what makes ARF's so popular.
In my own defense I'd have to say I hate ARF's and love kits but mostly I just design and scratch build my own.
Sometimes I'll build from plans but more likely just start with a blank sheet of paper and go from there.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:57 AM
furledd

Thanks guys - so far, there are some points i hadn't thought of in terms of retirement.

If you build 4 kits a year and are able to build for 20 years after retirement - that's 80 kits....
but maybe you all are faster kit builders than me

But that still doesnt explain the guy with 500 kits in the storage unit he never sees...

Thinking about this - I think there are 4 types
"builders" "buyers" "Flyers" and "Talkers"

"Builders" I guess just like to build, never fly em, sell them for no cost of labor and then go to the next one. Thats not my cup of tea - seems like a lot of work and nothing to show for it anymore when you are done and sold it

"Buyers" are either
A) jockeys who buy and sell and dont care much about flying just out to make a buck
B) Guys who cant resist buying the next thing out, and end up with too many kits and no time to do anything with them. These can turn into hoarders i think

"Flyers" have a few planes, want them ready to go and fly, and then if they crash, no big deal, go to the next one.
ARFs or already built are preferred - who wants to waste time on building???

"Talkers" are those usually older guys at the field that dont fly or build anymore and have an opinion on everything you are doing, right or wrong, usually wrong LOL. They might be "Buyers" or "Kit hoarders" as well but they want to stay in touch with the hobby and help younger folk, lead the club, etc...

I would say I was a builder at first by necessity then ran out of spare time because of work and family, and now only have time for being a "flyer". I have to resist the urge to buy, and if i get past 10, have made a rule SELL 2 for every 1 BOUGHT at this point

And for me, nothings more disappointing than crashing a plane your have built yourself - you just dont want to even look at it or repair it at least in my case, i would rather crash an ARF or one i have bought off someone as it doesnt feel as bad!

So much for my Dr Phil evaluation - maybe it will stimulate more conversation!

Old 07-04-2012, 08:09 AM
furledd

Of course - there are also combinations too - builder-flyers, buyer-talkers, etc

But you guys that take a blank piece of paper and scratch build and then fly your planes are amazing and unique!

But as you don't buy the kits you are not a kit hoarder by default
Old 07-04-2012, 08:11 AM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Hmmmmmmmmm

Too much time pondering useless thoughts and trying to categorize people? Just GO FLY and have fun, thats what its all about.

Vince
Old 07-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

It's a hobby, it's that simple, noting too deep to think about. Why would anyone want to save old coins or old oil cans or spark plugs? People just like to collect things. I was a bird hunter most of my life, I collected old shot shells, guns, decoys and anything else related to the shooting sports. I now have original first print books worth big money. My son is now showing a lot of this stuff in his new office, I'm not selling, I'm giving it away. My oldest two grand sons are getting a fine collection of Winchester Model 12s and thrilled with them.
I have a friend in this hobby that collects engines. he buys them, fires it up to hear it then puts it back in the box or on display.
Kits are no different.
My question is: why can't you understand collecting, it's not anything new or too deep. People have been doing it sense the beginning of time.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

It's a hobby, it's that simple, noting too deep to think about. Why would anyone want to save old coins or old oil cans or spark plugs? People just like to collect things. I was a bird hunter most of my life, I collected old shot shells, guns, decoys and anything else related to the shooting sports. I now have original first print books worth big money. My son is now showing a lot of this stuff in his new office, I'm not selling, I'm giving it away. My oldest two grand sons are getting a fine collection of Winchester Model 12s and thrilled with them.
I have a friend in this hobby that collects engines. he buys them, fires it up to hear it then puts it back in the box or on display.
Kits are no different.
My question is: why can't you understand collecting, it's not anything new or too deep. People have been doing it sense the beginning of time.
Gene, you are unbelievable. In 4 years I have never once disagreed with any post I've read of yours. Generally, I couldn't agree with you more! It is nice to know you on RCU
Old 07-04-2012, 10:22 AM
furledd

Thanks for the comments guys..

Hobbies are hobbies and i guess its as simple as that.

Kits just seemed different to me in that they are kits by default and made to be built
So why dont people build them?

Kits are not much to look at so it isnt like collecting art.
You cant run them like an engine collector as you mention above.
It's like collecting books and then not reading them.
Or collecting guns and never shooting them.
Or, like my mother in law, she collects fabric pieces that are supposed to go in a quilt
But i guarantee you they will be in the boxes when she passes and not a single quilt will be found

Guess the answer is we do it because we can

Better go have a cool lemonade and relax and be glad we have another day we are alive and free!
Old 07-04-2012, 12:10 PM
rlemaster

Sometimes, collectors are like gamblers, they just can't resist buying another "thing". It isn't specific to kits. I'm not sure there are a lot of people that buy without having any intention of building. We all want to build every kit we buy for the most part, it just isn't possible to do so as it does take a bit of time.

I think one of the big drivers behind this is the fact that kits are going away. Just like anything else that becomes harder and harder to obtain, people start buying them up so that they will have them when they completely go away. I hope that never happens, but unfortunately this "hobby" is quickly becoming more like an "activity".

Look at it this way, if people hear tomorrow that a law is going to be passed making it illegal to buy guns, people will be buying them faster than they can be made. Even if they don't need them.

Later,
Russ
Old 07-04-2012, 01:12 PM
llindsey1965

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good job graybeard when i use to build my models i would order or buy 2 in case i needed a replacement , i still have several untouched unopened kits , Sig Kadet Mark ll sweet stick sweet and low cap 231 and 2 T2As and 2 dick hansan tippo always kept a spare while i was flying those models , and who knows i may very well build one in the future , right now the way i work just dont have time for it , i enjoy flying , and i really enjoyed building , but that is how i ended up with my unopened kits !!!
Old 07-04-2012, 01:17 PM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people buy kits with the intention of building them. but they become ill or lose interest and it sits in the box. Some of us grab kits to have that "rare" bird no one else has at the field.

Others have kits that are replacements for birds they are currently flying. I have two Kougars I fly. One electric, one glow, I have another in the box under my bed. I have a Sig King Kobra going through rework. I have another kit in the box under the bed. All three of those flying birds have been flying for several years now. So the in the box birds sit.

It is a hobby. We collect what we want.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:46 PM
llindsey1965

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well said , same as the ones i have when i was flying them they were there in case i needed one !!
Old 07-04-2012, 03:45 PM
littlera

People who collect coins, paintings, antiques, and any number of "collectables" do so without any intention of "building" them or doing anything to them whatsoever. Fans of PBS's Antiques Roadshow know that many people do thousands of dollars of damage to antiques in their quest to "improve" them by refinishing, buffing, polishing, and in general removing generations of patina from the objects of their desire.

Kits are no different in many ways. Some collect them just to have them, and that's totally OK. They are nice to look at, talk about, etc., but have the advantage of being useful (i.e., to be built) if the owner wants to at some point. This is something that cannot be done with most collector items. In the mean time, the value of most will continue to increase with time, and can be sold at some point, ether during or after the lifetime of the collector, for their book values.

I tend to collect kits, with intentions of building each one at some time. I buy them when I find them, as the weird subjects I tend to favor do not come available too often. Therein lies part of the thrill of collecting kits - the chase!! I love looking for certain kits, and it is really satisfying when I find what I am looking for somewhere in the world. I bought a kit from the Channel Islands about three years ago, and actually built that one.

I would prefer to collect Ferraris, Picassos, and Rembrandts instead of kits, but have found those to be more costly. If I had some multi-million dollar paintings, like other collectors of those subjects I would only be able to look at them, talk about them, and pay the insurance. Kind of like model plane kits, but only on a grander scale! I had better NOT do anything to try to improve them, like letting little kids color in the Picassos.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:51 PM
furledd

ORIGINAL: littlera

People who collect coins, paintings, antiques, and any number of ''collectables'' do so without any intention of ''building'' them or doing anything to them whatsoever. Fans of PBS's Antiques Roadshow know that many people do thousands of dollars of damage to antiques in their quest to ''improve'' them by refinishing, buffing, polishing, and in general removing generations of patina from the objects of their desire.

Kits are no different in many ways. Some collect them just to have them, and that's totally OK. They are nice to look at, talk about, etc., but have the advantage of being useful (i.e., to be built) if the owner wants to at some point. This is something that cannot be done with most collector items. In the mean time, the value of most will continue to increase with time, and can be sold at some point, ether during or after the lifetime of the collector, for their book values.

I tend to collect kits, with intentions of building each one at some time. I buy them when I find them, as the weird subjects I tend to favor do not come available too often. Therein lies part of the thrill of collecting kits - the chase!! I love looking for certain kits, and it is really satisfying when I find what I am looking for somewhere in the world. I bought a kit from the Channel Islands about three years ago, and actually built that one.

I would prefer to collect Ferraris, Picassos, and Rembrandts instead of kits, but have found those to be more costly. If I had some multi-million dollar paintings, like other collectors of those subjects I would only be able to look at them, talk about them, and pay the insurance. Kind of like model plane kits, but only on a grander scale! I had better NOT do anything to try to improve them, like letting little kids color in the Picassos.

Great Answer! Thank you sir !
( I am honored to have AMA#386 have time to reply to my post as well )

Old 07-04-2012, 05:10 PM
DavidAgar

I have every intention to build all the kits that I have collected over the years. I also do some scratch building if I find some plans that I like. The fellows in my club know what I have stored and from time to time will chase me down to do some horse trading, so it is a win win for all concerned. I have also helped out a lot of RCU members by suppling copies of plans and instruction manuals from the kits that I have. As mentioned, it is a hobby and I do enjoy it. Good Luck once again, Dave
Old 07-04-2012, 05:10 PM
DavidAgar

I have every intention to build all the kits that I have collected over the years. I also do some scratch building if I find some plans that I like. The fellows in my club know what I have stored and from time to time will chase me down to do some horse trading, so it is a win win for all concerned. I have also helped out a lot of RCU members by suppling copies of plans and instruction manuals from the kits that I have. As mentioned, it is a hobby and I do enjoy it. Good Luck once again, Dave
Old 07-04-2012, 05:16 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I buy older kits. Very few. Jemco, Pilot. Only at bargain prices. And alot of Brain Taylor stuff. Mostly WWII

Those are what we learned on.

I plan to build them one day.

I don't collect. But they do accumulate.

Investments. Not really, just like them.

Steve
Old 07-04-2012, 05:22 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

If you see the price jump at Tower for their kits.....you will buy now and save them for the future.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Lake Flyer
My Feedback: (13)

It's a mental illness, It's called hoarding! And I just can't help myself.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:45 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

And there is NO cure
Old 07-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Jetdktr
My Feedback: (21)

Lake Flyer said "It's a mental illness, It's called hoarding! And I just can't help myself"

Tailskid said " there is NO cure"

GUILTY!!!! 178 at last count (18 months ago ). Not all kits mind you. I do have current arf's too. I started flying and building in 1974 and started buying kits then, even some arf's (Dubro made 5, I have them all). The current stuff (5 Years old or less) I got because the production runs of todays kits and arf's are not very long. Once the fad or hype is gone, finding one is tough. I do realize now I probally dont have enough birthdays left to build or fly everything I have , so some or most of it will go via local club "for sale" sites, RCU or EBay. The problem is there is new , really cool stuff coming out everyday. Oh well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.