Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Shipping an RC airplane help!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Shipping an RC airplane help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 01:02 PM
ForkedTailDevil
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping an RC airplane help!!!

Hey guys,
I just completed a sale and built the container for a Great Planes Super Stearman BNF shipping from Lexington, KY to Memphis, Tenn. My plan was to use greyhound because I was able to get it within their container size requirements. Problem is, i'm 22 lbs overweight according to their scale. Their max is 100lbs, my container feels no way close to that, but it is what it is. The cheapest quote I have been able to obtain so far is $600.00 from forward air. Crate dem. are 76x24x35. Its really not that large..fexEx wanted 1k, which is obviously not going to work. Worst comes to worst, i'll just refund the buyers money, I just hate to loose the relationship, especially here on RCU...everything with this transaction has gone smooth, recieved the money within 3 days of the sale, and I had the container built the same day. Original quote from greyhound was $82.00. I just don't know what to do, other than tell the customer i'll send his funds back, but what a jack***** I look like. Please help! Anybody driving to Memphis soon, I'll pay $100!!!!!!!! Please help!

Bubs
Old 07-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Shipping an RC airplane help!!!

Can you take some pics? I would re-build the container. I just shipped one out today, a 1x4 frame but with cardboard walls:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82984.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1779243  
Old 07-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Mine was 70"x34"x24". It was 91lbs on their scale. I weighed just the bottom here and my scale said 50lbs. I can't believe a 9lb airplane and a few extra parts, plus the top, weighed an additional 41lbs. But if that is the case, it says that a little material can weigh a lot. Which means that removing a little material can remove a lot of weight.

Think of building it like a model airplane! Optimized for weight, and strength in key areas. I had cardboard walls, but a small square of plywood over the section where the tail was, and a 1x4 where the nose was. The crate is about 2" longer (inside) than the airplane - with the spinner, prop, and prop adapter removed.

My plane and your wing span are basically the same, so your crate should not be longer than 71".

I don't know how much the sale was for, but if it is substantial maybe it's worth driving 3/4 of the way there and meeting the buyer - I just drove 5 hours to pick up my new plane, totally worth it. You could drive 5 hours, he can drive 2 maybe?
Old 07-06-2012, 01:18 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a U-Haul wardrobe box as the outer support. Added structure on the inside. Used to the structure to isolate the components. Size & weight were acceptable to Greyhound.

How about making multiple shipping crates?
Old 07-06-2012, 01:46 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: ForkedTailDevil

Hey guys,
,,,,,,,,,,, but what a jack***** I look like. Please help! Anybody driving to Memphis soon, I'll pay $100!!!!!!!! Please help!

Bubs
Uship.com http://www.uship.com/
Old 07-06-2012, 03:22 PM
KW_Counter

Per Google it's 423 miles from Memphis to Lexington.
For $600 why not meet the recipient half way.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 07-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just beat the size and weight on a kit I sent off to a fellow in Calif. I had something like an inch to fool with and the guy gave the box a squish for me so it was the correct size. I couldn't beleave it but UPS was cheaper then grayhound?? Also shipped to the guys door!! For the most part I have given up shipping planes to people but I still ship a few kits.
The next plane I am building for someone else I got lucky, my friend it is going to be moving to So. Cal. and can just come here and pick it up, take in a show and fool around for a couple of days. We met here in Vegas when I first moved here so he does know the town a lot better then I do.
Is it just me or is typing with CA all over your fingers as hard as I think it is??????????????
Old 07-07-2012, 05:47 AM
jbdismukes
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Is it just me or is typing with CA all over your fingers as hard as I think it is??????????????
Worse if it hasn't quite dried!!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:48 AM
scale only 4 me

Just so happens we were watching Jack @$$ 3 yesturday,, fun with crazy glue,, OMG
Old 07-08-2012, 04:54 AM
Edwin

I shipped a 90"ws biplane from Austin, Tx to Boise Id on Greyhound for about $275 (if I remember correctly). Used two boxes, built pretty much with cardboard and 1x2 for the frame with #6 screws and card board stapled. 1x4 was on the bottom. They were shipped at different times so they wouldnt be on the same bus. The reason being, Greyhound ships based on available space. It may take a day or two if the bus is busy. But I think meeting half way is a better solution. Less chance for damage and the gas would be a lot cheaper than shipping.
Edwin
Old 07-10-2012, 03:20 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Go online to a site called freight buddy, https://www.myfreightbuddy.com/
I use them quite often to ship out large quantities of auto parts from
our dealership, very competitive rates. Call the 800 number and they will
call you back very quickly, they might have a sollution for you.

Bill D.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:40 AM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: Edwin

I shipped a 90''ws biplane from Austin, Tx to Boise Id on Greyhound for about $275 (if I remember correctly). Used two boxes, built pretty much with cardboard and 1x2 for the frame with #6 screws and card board stapled. 1x4 was on the bottom. They were shipped at different times so they wouldnt be on the same bus. The reason being, Greyhound ships based on available space. It may take a day or two if the bus is busy. But I think meeting half way is a better solution. Less chance for damage and the gas would be a lot cheaper than shipping.
Edwin
$275?? that amazes me, the couple times I've used GH it was well under $100
Old 07-10-2012, 05:10 AM
Edwin

Must have been a small plane. This one was two large crates. The fuse was just under 100 lbs(~48"w x 38"h x 87"l ), the two wings in another crate were ( I think) about 80 lbs. The top wing was 90". The wings were mounted corner to corner at an angle. The crate thickness was about 26" but the length dimension was at its max, height was within a few inches of max. Those are approximate dims cause it was several years, I dont remember the sizes exactly. Just that they were big and it took a couple of weeks working with shippers before settling with GH and coming up with a size that would work. The wing crate weighed more than the wings and was mostly empty space inside. The plane was a large F4B biplane.
Edwin
Old 07-10-2012, 05:16 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

eh, just fly it there!   I would just find a friend with a pickup and take a nice weekend road trip. Get out, enjoy the ride and get to meet the buyer.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:48 AM
scale only 4 me

Edwin, I missed that it was 2 boxes in the first post, my bad, yes mine were not as close to the max sizes