Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Two stroke glow

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Two stroke glow

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 07:41 AM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two stroke glow

Does the length ot fuel tubing matter between carb and remote needle valve? The reason I ask is that I lengthened it by two inches to 3.25 inches due to a prop vs. hand incident recently.since moving it farther away from the motor it run as well.i can't seem to get it tuned too well.very frustrated. Thanks in advance for the knowledge.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Two stroke glow

I have moved the remote a couple inches back on an OS LA and it made no difference but if it is happening to you then it sounds like it did make a difference. Each engine is just a bit different and may react a little different to changes.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:19 AM
stevegauth30

Man there's got to be a better way. I mean, I love flying my models an all, but36 stitches and months of physical therapy hardly seems worth it. Wll, I guess I'll put it back and just be extra careful. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:40 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Man there's got to be a better way. I mean, I love flying my models an all, but

OK yes indeed there is a better way much better. First lengthening the distance from the needle valve to the carburator by over three inchs will impact tuning and I would bet in a negative way. This is why I have always had a dislike for remote needles anyway now you add over three inchs to the maybe an inch and a half it is extended already and that is asking for trouble.

You never said exactly what make and (important) model engine you have but flexible cable type extensions can be added that work beautifully.

The very best set up I have ever seen and used is like the new OS AX series engines. They are acutually forward needle valve engines however the needles are canted at a severe angle to the rear and all come standard with this flex cable extension that is 3.5 inchs long. Boy do they work and the common complaint that the they vibrate and cause the needle to change does not in fact happen.

I have and use (fly) a ton of these engines and I never shorten the extension I want that puppy full length and what a diff it makes.

Look at these photos of one of my ships and notice that needles extensions far to the rear. The engines are 55AX with the full length extension in place which make for far safer multi engine operations.

John

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90341.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1779524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33113.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1779525  
Old 07-07-2012, 10:52 AM
stevegauth30

It is a roughly 10 year old k&b .61. After much fiddling around I had it tuned perfectly, but not any mory. Just to clarify, I didn't add three inches, I added about an inch for a total of three inches. I guess an inch will do it though. So do those extensions simply slip on to existing needle valve?
Old 07-07-2012, 11:07 AM
JohnBuckner

Let me go out and look at a K&B needle to see what would be the best extension setup. Get back in a few.

Need to know what model?
Old 07-07-2012, 11:24 AM
JohnBuckner

OK I have in hand what I think was pretty much the genaric later K&B remote needle assembly that was used for the .61's as well as the Screaming .48 and so on.

It does not have a solder nubbin or pin like many others used in the past that you could slip a spring over and solder. Instead its just large flat topped knob.

What I would do is use a drill press and drill a small hole to fit a three inch length of stranded flex cable such as Dubro sells for flexible push rod. Then I would JB weld the wire into this hole at the far end a wheel collor tightened down would provide a knob.

Now since this is the standard K&B remote needle they came with a flat brass plate to mount to a fire wall or something, what I would do is mount this as closely as possible to the engine and bend that plate so that the needle extension is rearward at a severe angle so your new knob is now far to the rear just like the pictures.

I do not know if this will help your running problems but it will reduce your stitch count

John
Old 07-07-2012, 11:31 AM
stevegauth30

That sounds pretty much like what I was picturing in my heAd.sounds like it will work well.thanks.if any thing else, I'll get to keep the skin that I still have.thanks for the knowledge.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:33 AM
JohnBuckner

[8D]
Old 07-07-2012, 01:25 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
I have used remote high speed needles on several engines and my experience is that it works good on larger engines like .40 and up( several Q-500 racers and Great Planes GEE BEE R-2 powered by a MVVS .91 engine using a tettra Bubbless tank). As you can see tha fuel line on the GEE BEE is fairly long ,but that doesn't make the engine run any worse at all. The trottle is instant and it's totally reliable.

The only time a remote needle did not work was with an OS FS .26 fourstroke. I don't know why but it didn't![&o]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87351.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1779554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28277.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1779555  
Old 07-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Luftwaffe Oberst 13
Banned

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

I have moved the remote a couple inches back on an OS LA and it made no difference but if it is happening to you then it sounds like it did make a difference. Each engine is just a bit different and may react a little different to changes.

+1 I'm with Grey Beard on this one.

Pete