Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

hinge tape

Old 07-26-2012, 01:38 PM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hinge tape

Whats the tape to use to cover the hinge gap,,,Tower has it but they say its for electric craft.
TAZZZZ
Old 07-26-2012, 04:49 PM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hinge tape

Packing type the clear kind I hear works I have never used it...Instead I cut a piece of matching Monokote and iron it in place
Old 07-26-2012, 06:15 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't use tape on a fuel plane, the fuel seeps under the tape and it comes loose and looks like #%$@. Do as Jetmech says and use covering . You can get clear monokote if you need to. Just make sure you flex the control surface so it doesn't bind .

If it's an electric or glider I use a clear tape that is used to seal around windows up North in the winter . If I remember right it's made by 3m. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 07-27-2012, 05:04 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If it's just for sealing and not for actually bearing the load of the hinge, you can use just about anything. The standard stuff though is 3M Blenderm tape. It is made to stick to skin which can be quite oily, so glow residue doesn't bother it. Standard medical tape is the same way, but is visible. The Blenderm tape is practically clear once it's on, so it's preferred for appearances.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:45 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When I wish to correct and seal a poor hinging job with an excessive gap I too use matching monocoat like Jetmech.

Usually this is on the bottom only and I cut the monocoat one inch wide. It is sealed full length along only the stabilizer half then the control surface is flexed full throw away from the monocoat and the second half of the strip is folded over and sealed to the control surface.

The surface is now flexed the other way and the gap portion of the monocoat is folded into the gap as it is moved. Its now a simple matter to run the corner of an iron through the gap and the surface is sealed with full throws.

Now Tazzzz is this for your Senior Frontier? I think that airplane comes with ca hinges preassembled that only need to be dripped.

There should be no real need to seal the hingeline on any Kadet when the simple ca hinges are used. How wide are your gaps?

John
Old 08-01-2012, 05:21 PM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,,,what do you mean by "dripped",,,never heard that expression,,,does it mean I should add a little CA to the prehinged control surface for security reasons?

TAZZZZ
Old 08-01-2012, 07:07 PM
JohnBuckner

By dripped I mean just that in other words dripping a couple of drops of thin Ca on each side of the the hinge after the control surface is assembled with the wing or stabilizer. You could call dripping a form of measurement if you will and two to three drops on each side of the assembled hinge is all it takes.

Now many Arfs come with preassembled control surfaces but they are not glued with the CA and that is your responsibility. I do not know about the Senior Frontier but most likely they are assembled surfaces and that is for you to find out. You only need to tug on any of the surfaces and they will pull apart easily if they are not glued.

Some arfs come with the surfaces separated and the CA hinges in a bag and in that case you must assemble the controls and 'drip the hinges'[8D]

John
Old 08-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What tower has is a tape that is used as a hinge for electrics. I have a product from Dave Brown called Trimseal #5250 but it is nothing more then a clear covering. I bought a roll of clear Ultra just for gap sealing and a roll will last you forever. I iron it on like John mentioned, bottom only. If it is a trainer or trainer type of plane I wouldn't bother, no one would ever notice. The Brown product is only 98 cents so that is why it is still hanging on my wall.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:12 AM
JohnBuckner

I think from other threads that tazzes airplane is a brand new Senior Frontier?

John