Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Covering Question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 07:47 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering Question

When covering a wing, do you press the covering to the rib cap strips like you do on the perimeter of the wing, or do you shrink it tight and let the material conform to the rib. The last plane I built, I pressed the covering to the cap strips with the iron, but didn't like the appearance.

Chuck
Old 07-27-2012, 08:32 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Covering Question

You do not have to press the covering to the rib cap strips. "Nail" it down on the leading and trailing edges with your iron plus of course the tips and root area. Hit the rib area with your heat gun to shrink it up nice when your all done. BTY, I have found that if the ribs don't have cap strips they are too weak to press down much with the iron without risking damaging them.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:35 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you do not seal the entire film to balsa surfaces as a last step then the wing will not be up to design strength.

This is especially so on some designs such as trainers and others that do not have a sheeted D tube section, The intended torsional strength will be severely impaired.

Some folks don,t like to cut holes to let cooling air in and out of cowlings either because they don,t like the look.

John
Old 07-28-2012, 05:55 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

To apply the film you tack it all around pulling it as tight as you can, then heat gun it smooth. Then the last step to just touch the iron to each rib to stick the covering down. You can feel the difference in strength immediately after doing this.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:16 AM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rather than using an iron on the cap strips you can use a soft "mitt" along with the heat gun. Follow the heat gun with your "mitted" hand. This will accomplish the same thing without jeopardizing the surface with scratches. Yea, even if your iron has a cover on it.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:53 AM
mvallyman
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may find that the covering stilll sticks to the ribs even though you dont press it on. I dont press it on the ribs, never had a wing failure either.