Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

DX8 Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 02:03 PM
rlipsett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DX8 Question

one little problem I noticed is the failure to get a solid link sometimes. you have got to make sure the lights remain constant and on and is very hard to do if the radio is buried in a plane. they should offer a mod in which you can attach a fiber optic cable to the rx so that you can route the led light to a place where it can be observed
Old 10-02-2012, 06:55 PM
bikerbc

rlipsett That fiber optic Idea is great...I wonder why nobody is doing that...You should patten that or somthing...I wonder If I guy could make somthing up ? All you would need is a strand of fish line maybe . Do you think that might work?If you got the fish line pointed directly at the led indicator lite a then ran it out to some protected spot ,maybe inside the cockpit or something... and it might just transfer enough of the lite to see it....
Old 10-02-2012, 08:16 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

pdm52956- I'm glad you haven't had a problem. My one beef that I brought up is the voltage at which a reboot happens. With many electrical systems in common use, there simply isn't enough wiggle room to have a reliable radio link using Spektrum equipment. Anyone flying a 4.8v battery is teetering dangerously close to the edge if his servos draw any significant current, and electric pilots who have 5v BEC's are as well. Spektrum sells their equipment to be used with those systems, and has confirmed that the Rx will reboot if it sees less than 4v for even a split second. True enough, Spektrum users have learned to work around the issue by running 6v packs and higher capacity BEC's, but we shouldn't need to. Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics all have lower thresholds for their receivers browning out so that if even a 4.8v battery is on the bottom half of its discharge the receiver will still work. To take it to the extreme, Airtronics receivers will work all the way down to 2 volts. The servos will stop working before the receiver does. So my point is that if Airtronics, Hitec, and Futaba can build a receiver that can work with the current electrical systems we have in our planes without any worry, Spektrum should be able to also.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:12 AM
rlipsett

on ebay you can find bundles of small length fiber optic filaments and end glow tips for cheap prices. ithink you could supply a few lifetimes needs of fiber optics for about 40 dollars. I would make a base with a hole in it that would line up over the led of the rx. I would then put the filament in the holeon top of the led, then tape or secure the base to the rx.. the base could be made from something as simple as 1/4 square stock. then you could run the cable where you need it and mount a glow tip through the side of the plane.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:50 AM
bikerbc

rlipsett I think that is a very cool idea...
Old 10-03-2012, 10:06 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

pdm52956- I'm glad you haven't had a problem. My one beef that I brought up is the voltage at which a reboot happens. With many electrical systems in common use, there simply isn't enough wiggle room to have a reliable radio link using Spektrum equipment. Anyone flying a 4.8v battery is teetering dangerously close to the edge if his servos draw any significant current, and electric pilots who have 5v BEC's are as well. Spektrum sells their equipment to be used with those systems, and has confirmed that the Rx will reboot if it sees less than 4v for even a split second. True enough, Spektrum users have learned to work around the issue by running 6v packs and higher capacity BEC's, but we shouldn't need to. Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics all have lower thresholds for their receivers browning out so that if even a 4.8v battery is on the bottom half of its discharge the receiver will still work. To take it to the extreme, Airtronics receivers will work all the way down to 2 volts. The servos will stop working before the receiver does. So my point is that if Airtronics, Hitec, and Futaba can build a receiver that can work with the current electrical systems we have in our planes without any worry, Spektrum should be able to also.
Oh I'm not disagreeing with you, instead I'm just pointing out that we each have our own method to our madness and just because what works for one doesn't mean it's the only way to go.

I've flown one Futaba system and that was my trainer. The reason I switched was more because everyone I learned from, everyone at the club I was flying at, and everyone I currently fly with, fly either Spektrum or JR. Did I have to learn a few things to make that switch? Sure I did. Do I regret it? No I don't.

The 4.8 battery issue has been known for a long time. I can't think of anyone I know flying with that voltage any more other than someone that has been flying them since they began flying in 19XX and swears by them, or new pilots that don't know and haven't been told. The options available out there that allow us all to get away from 4.8, and even Nicd or Nimh are so prevalent that there isn't really any reason to be flying any of those to begin with. Now that's just me and I'm not condemning someone else's opinion or right to fly those packs. Just doesn't make sense to me with any system.

It's all good. What works for you, or what works for someone else may not suit me is all. For me, Spektrum and JR have given me very reliable service where that obviously isn't the case for you. Let's not put one system down just because of that.

Happy flying...........and smile when they crash! It's time for something new!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:13 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Ditch the Dx8. I have three DX6i and never an issue. I got a dx8 and kept having wierd things happen, getting holds etc on numerous planes/ Finally one hit the groun full throttle due to a "hold".

I have a guy at my field going through this now with a Dx8. His habu 32 suddently locked up and started spiraling down and he got it back at the last second. I told him, and like me, he makes excuses for what happened/

I got futuba for my big stuff.

BTW, the correct term for a glow or gas engine when it quits, is a "engine stall" or stall, or stalled, or quit. When you say flameout people will think turbine.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:14 PM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: essyou35

BTW, the correct term for a glow or gas engine when it quits, is a ''engine stall'' or stall, or stalled, or quit. When you say flameout people will think turbine.
Actually the correct term is "deadstick". "Engine stall" works I guess, but just plane (or plain whichever you prefer) "stall" is when the wing(s) quits flying.

But you are correct in that "flameout" would tend to make you think turbine.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Fs one

Chances are it's a problem with the switch or a wiring problem, nothing to do with your tx or receiver.I own DX8 and DX7 no issues whatsoever.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:59 AM
JohnB96041

Have not read every post here, but would like some information or help.
Need advice. I left my DX8 transmitter turned on over night. Not sure of the number of hours it was on when I discovered that I forgot to turn it off. I have the lipo battery installed in the transmitter and it was reading 7.4 volts on the display. I had accidently left the throttle at about half throttle and the warning beep was what caught my attention. I have turned off the transmitter and plugged it in for a full charge. Will this lipo battery be OK? The battery alarm was not sounding, it was the high throttle alarm that was going off. Battery alarm is set to 6.4 and battery type is set to LIPO on the transmitter. How long should it be left on the charger?
Old 09-22-2013, 03:09 PM
kwblake

OOps.

Last edited by kwblake; 09-22-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:28 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jetmech05
after reading all this if it were me.....I'd never fly Spektrum without a 6 V battery....and I'd change out the on/off switch.....just to be safe...switches fail more than a battery or a receiver.....alway always check battery voltage under a load.....and get the receiver out of it's hidden location.....could it be getting hot under your cockpit?
I just put a new Spectrum receiver in a plane yesterday and had sluggish servo response. Measuring some voltages I found the on/off switch had gotten quite resistive. (Moving it from on to off would make it work okay but occasionally there was about 1.5 volt drop across it.) Replaced the switch harness with a new one and things were good again. Glad I caught it before flying!