Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

62" Lazy Ace CG

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

62" Lazy Ace CG

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:22 PM
smilam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 62" Lazy Ace CG

I bought a 62" Lazy Ace at an estate sale along with a tube that said it had two sets of Lazy Ace wing plans and a tube that said it had one Lazy Ace fuselage plan. When I got it home I found that I had three sheets of wing plans and no fuselage plans. It has a Super Tiger 90 on it that looks like it has never been run and I know that the muffler has never seen any exhaust thru it. The muffler doesn't have a pressure tap or smoke fittings although there was a smoke tank and smoke pump installed in the airplane. The throttle servo was mounted but there is no throttle linkage. The plane has been flown before and I believe the original engine was probably used in another airplane and the ST90 installed for the sale. I bought new digital servos, switch, and battery ( 6V 2500 MAH ) for it but need to find out the CG location. I saw in some other threads that on the 76" Lazy Ace that the wing incidence of the top wing should be -1.5' bottom wing 0 and tail 0 degrees with 5 degrees of down thrust in the engine. Does this sound correct for the 60" version?? I am not going to reinstall the smoke system for now. I will wait to see how the airplane flys with the ST 90.
Does somebody know the correct CG location and do the other numbers sound correct?
Thanks for the help.
Steve
Old 08-31-2012, 05:28 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 62

Your incidence setting are correct. If I remember correctly, on mine, the CG was right on the leading edge of the lower wing. You may be able to move it back a bit after you get everything trimmed out but that is a safe starting point for the CG.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:20 PM
smilam

Ok thanks for the reply. If I can get the on board glow to work I will be able to take it out Monday for a test flight. May just have to disconnect it and use a regular glow driver but hate to put a hole in the fiberglass.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:17 AM
oleblue

I built one 2 years ago. The CG is 4 inches from the front of the top wing leading edge per the plans. Also the plans stated O degrees incidence on the top and bottom wing and also the stab. This is not in agreement with most biplane designers but I used it. The top wing may be changed easy enough if you wish. Likewise the CG may be moved after you fly it. I have an OS-91 Four stroke on mine. It is great at low speed or fast. Rolls are slow with just the lower wing ailerons.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:46 PM
smilam

Thanks for the help. I will set my balance there to start out. Have you changed your incidence from 0-0-0? I was guessing that the roll rate is going to be a little slow. I may decide to add ailerons To the top wing in the future. I never got the on board glow to work so I took one off another airplane that works and will see if I can get the other one fixed. Didn't get the test flight in today as it was hot and humid so I spent the day in the basement working on a couple of other planes.
Steve
Old 09-04-2012, 07:08 AM
oleblue

No, I was happy with the way it flew with 0-0-0. I am an old man and don't have to hotdog. I like to watch that type of flying though