Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Covering Question

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering Question

Old 09-17-2012, 09:25 AM
bikerbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering Question

I often see a covering called Monkeycote talked about....Is there such a covering or is this just a slang word for Monocote or something? I know I have never seen it here in Canada...If it exsists could sombody tell me about it...Sorry if this is a stupid question..... I have a brain injury and somtimes when I ask a question like this at our club I get jumped on and made to feel kind of silly...Thanks for your help
Old 09-17-2012, 09:37 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Covering Question

It is mearly a derogatory referance to monocoat by those who don,t like the product. I for one am a longtime user of it as well as just about all the popular brands and one time or other and still prefer what I will continue to refer to as Monocoat.

John
Old 09-17-2012, 09:51 AM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a derogatory reference at all, just down here it costs about twice as much as the equivalent Solarfilm product, and is on par with Oracover...hence Moneycote. Its expensive stuff...
Evan, WB #12.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:59 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Pimmnz please note he used the spelling Monkeycoat not Moneycoat, yes the inflamatory and derogatory intent is well understood on this side of the world.

I also beleve here in the northern hemisphere also where the original poster is from that depending upon some varibles that Monocoat is actully slightly less expensive than the popular competitive product in these parts, Ultracoat. Yet those who dislike monocoat still tend to call it Moneycoat althought that really may not apply in the liberal sense at all. Indeed derogatory.

John
Old 09-18-2012, 02:33 AM
bikerbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankyou for your responce's I now understand ....Thankyou John for taking the time to explain...
Old 09-18-2012, 06:08 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"equivalent Solarfilm product"

Monokote - Solarfilm, is like Apples - Oranges. Totally different stuff. The only commanality is they are both iron on films, like apples and oranges are both fruit.

Les
Old 09-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What John said in his first post, I have also seen it printed as monocrap and several others over the years. I don't care for mono as the main covering but I still use it as a trim product over the base of ultra. As long as people know what product you are talking about and you are happy with it's use no one really cares.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:52 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Monochoke is also pretty variable in the material you actually get. I had a part of a roll left over from about 7 years ago that I was using. It wouldn't stretch much and only stuck with near shrinking heat- was just a pain to work with. For some reason white Ultracote was $10 more a roll when I ran out so I bought Monokote again figuring I had gotten this far with it I could finish with it. The new roll was great. It stretched well (took more effort than Ultracote but would go just as far), still required more heat than I would have liked, and it shrunk down nice and tight and generally stayed that way. I was impressed with it this time, but who knows what I'll get next time I buy some?
Old 09-19-2012, 05:34 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now if it's a fabric finish you want then Solartex is the way to go, it practically covers the plane for you. It require very low heat and almost paints itself around compound curves. Available in many colors and can be painted. You can order it from bsua.com
Old 09-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Gray Beard

Balsa U.S.A.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:53 AM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For fabric, I really, really like Century 21 fabric.................................Have it on a J3 cub for almost 20 years now and a few wrinkles have started to show....put an iron to them and "all Gone".
Old 09-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Gray Beard

sebo, funny you should bring up C-21. It turned into a topic on another forum. I was told it was no longer manufactured and brought that up. Next day I got my new tower catalog and it's alive and well.
I used it on a Cub too but didn't care for it. I found TEX much better and easier to work with, lighter too but C-21 has an advantage. It requires no clear coat, it's already painted and I find it stronger in the regard it is more tare or puncture resistant. It is a good alternative but the prices have gone way up sense I last used it. Glad I heard wrong and it's still made. It was peanut gallery information and I was sitting in the peanut gallery that day!!