Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Throttle linkage???

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Throttle linkage???

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 06:04 PM
DeadMeat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle linkage???

Here is a silly question. What do you folks use for throttle linkage? My linkage has a mild 'S' shape. So, I am trying a tube in a tube setup. But this keeps binding up on the engine end. It seems that the tube I am using is not flexible enough. What can I do?

Tom
Old 04-22-2002, 06:16 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

I most frequently use a cable arrangement. They tolerate a pretty large amount of curves. I usually buy a Sullivan gold-n-rod and cut to the appropriate length. You may need to build some additional bracketing to support the cable tube. You can use pretty much whatever kind of link you prefer (e.g. ball link, clevis etc.) on the ends but you will need to solder it on. I guess there are those set screw type things but I can't remember what you call them.
Old 04-23-2002, 01:14 PM
Al Stein

I usually route a pretty small diameter solid wire through a tube... I keep it running straight fore-and-aft through the fuel tank compartment. Any bends that I need to get the alignment right I try to put at the radio compartment end.
Old 04-24-2002, 03:16 AM
Jazzy

I try to keep the engine insulated from the rest of the aircraft. In other words I don't use a solid wire from engine to servo. I seem to favor either a quick-connect or ball-joint on the throttle arm with a short piece of 2-56 wire threaded into a golden-rod.
Ever notice the quirky jerks the servos make when applying and removing a glow starter? (If a solid wire is used.)

TopShelf, those are quick-connects.

Deadmeat, I've had to make some pretty interesting bends myself!
Old 04-24-2002, 12:10 PM
Al Stein

GOod point... I haven't noticed but I'll check for jitters now that you've mentioned it... thanks.
Old 04-25-2002, 11:24 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello!
I prefer the thin Sullivan vire on all my planes.

Regards!
JanK
Sweden
Old 04-25-2002, 12:04 PM
DeadMeat

Thanks for all the help. I found the problem. My carburetor was slightly off center and that caused the barrel to bind. I went with the Golden Rod with metal ends solution. It seems to work fine. Plus I replaced my Hitec HS-425 throttle servo with a HS-605. It seems that the throttle barrel had just a little too much spring tension on it for the HS-425 to handle.

Tom