Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

ca hinge strenthening

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

ca hinge strenthening

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 12:42 PM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ca hinge strenthening

I just purchased a Sig Kadet Sr. the control surfaces are already CA hinged,,do you think I should add a couple of drops of thin to make sure they are secure enough? Or will that not work,seeing how they are already hinged,,,,every thing is tight,,they wont pull out . I just worry they skimped on the glue ,,,you know how some of these factories short-chang us sometimes. Any way to reinforce the to make sure they are secure? Or should I worry at all.

thxTAZZZZ[&o]
Old 11-14-2012, 12:59 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: ca hinge strenthening

Never try to redrop thin CA on Ca type hinges Once they have been dropped. You cannot redo them because the capillary action of the fibrous material is now compromised.

Just gently pull along the trailing edges of the surface near where each hinges is and if there is no give then everything is fine go enjoy your airplane.

There is even some thought that if you drop more CA at a later date that this could actually accerlerate a hinges failure (cracking or tearing at the hinge line itself).

John
Old 11-14-2012, 01:08 PM
tazzzz

OOOOhh WEEEEE,,,thanks ,,I guess Ill just put that thought in the hangar-Thank you sir.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:13 PM
wickedpissa
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can toothpick them, dill the trailing and leading edge glue in a toothpick sand flat.

If you purchased it from SIG you should have a quality plane they are a great company. With that said I never use CA hinges I hate them I use pin hinges. 
Old 11-14-2012, 01:41 PM
tazzzz

Yea,,so do I,, this is the first time Ive had a Sig pre-hinge anything,,,,,,,they staed that they changed manufacturers cause they had some sort of issues with the previous makers,,I definetly trust Sig ,,,theire good people.
Thanks for the comeback
Old 11-14-2012, 05:43 PM
KitBuilder

What I do to be sure on my builds (not arfs) is near the end poke a pin hole though the wood through the hinge and out the other side. With the skinny syringe type tip I drop in top of bottom... let it harden and lightly sand. This way CA has gotten to the far end as well.