Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Ultimate 40 Bipe

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Great Planes Ultimate 40 Bipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Buzz-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Ultimate 40 Bipe

Just completed this bipe. My radio does not have mixing and it is recommended in the instructions. This airplane does weird stuff when I try simple minuvers. If I put in full left rudder the plane turns and dives. A knife edge is impossible for me. I am finding this plane a huge challenge to fly. Certainly not a plane that goes where you point it. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to make this a fun aerobatic plane that does what I want it to do.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:38 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Ultimate 40 Bipe

You may just need to do some basic flight trimming. What mixes are recommended in the manual btw?

If you issue is rudder use, is the diving behavior happening from level flight, as in your pull rudder to do a flat turn and the plane rolls and dives?

What happens exactly when you try to knife edge the plane?
Old 11-16-2012, 09:01 AM
Buzz-RCU

Jester,
First of all the recommended controls are for low rate el 7/16, ru 1-1/4, al 3/16" and for high rate EL 5/8", RU 1-1/4" AL 1/4. Great Planes recommends some rudder/elevator mixing and rudder/aileron mixing.

From level flight when I throw in full left rudder the airplane turns left and then dives.

When I tryed to do a knife edge the aircraft was fighting me. I had to use roll and pitch controls to try and smooth it out, I just gave up.

I have a tiger 45 powering the plane with a pitts muffler, flight wire supports the rudder and stabilizer because on the first flight during a violent menuver they cracked and I was able to land immediately. The balance point is 2 3/8" behind the lower wing leading edge. I balance the plane using my fingers in the 2 3/8" point but that was crude at best.

I got this from a club member who framed it out and I did not check the incidences of the wings. Any help with this monster would be appreciated.
ORIGINAL: jester_s1

You may just need to do some basic flight trimming. What mixes are recommended in the manual btw?

If you issue is rudder use, is the diving behavior happening from level flight, as in your pull rudder to do a flat turn and the plane rolls and dives?

What happens exactly when you try to knife edge the plane?
Old 11-16-2012, 05:57 PM
jetmech05

If you throw left rudder the airplane is going to turn left and dive..left rudder makes the nose go left paritally stalling the left wing and it should roll and dive...You counter that by adding in opposite aileron if you want a flat turn or side slip...
Knief edge..you roll with ailerons and give rudder input to keep the nose up...it is not uncommon for the airplane to drift so you counter with elevators...that is what the mix is for.
You can fly witout a mix it just makes it easier with it
Old 11-16-2012, 06:10 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You know Buzz you said your radio has no mixs, does it have any expotential?

Do yourself a favor before you go making large changes try moving the CG forward by perhaps 3/8 inchs. Just add weight or move something forward.

If your radio does have expo then try dialing in around 20% on all three axis either minus or plus whichever your system need to provide soft center on the sticks.

But most important move the CG forward a bit.

John