Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Futaba 6J or 8J ?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Futaba 6J or 8J ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:15 PM
CrashedTrainer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 6J or 8J ?

Hello Everyone!

I was planning to get my hands on one of those new 2.4ghz spread spectrum transciever radio sets since i recently shifted to a new place and the new rc flying field where i fly now happens to have no regulated system for frequency slot allocations...

You can call me an advanced beginner. Also i am just returning to the hobby after 4.5 years... however i plan to upgrade from my trainer kit to my first low wing or sports kit while keeping the same engine i.e. O.S 46AX

After doing some research i have narrowed my search to two options: Futaba 6J or Futaba 8J... I know i won't be using all the features the 8J has to offer for now but i really like many of its features as compared to the 6J such as the better LCD screen, better outlook/aesthetics, possibility of sufficing my needs much longer than the 6J because of more number of channels, more memory etc...

Need advice from you guys... what would you do if you were in my place?

Best Regards,
CrashedTrainer
Old 11-15-2012, 10:56 PM
Warbird40
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Futaba 6J or 8J ?

I have the 8J and really like it. It has every feature you could ever need. It took me at least a month to decide on a transmitter and after seeing the price and features it was an easy decision to make. If you can afford the extra price of the 8J over the 6J, go for it! With 8 channels and 20 model memory, its a no brainer. plus the screen is very nice too.

If you are looking for a first low wing plane, you should look at the Tiger 2 size 40. If comes as an ARF, its easy to put together and is an excellent flier! I flew mine after 7 flights on a trainer and had no problems with it. It lands just a little faster than a trainer, is aerobatic, stable and a joy to fly. Plus is cheap around $110 US. it has a tricycle landing gear just like the trainer and you OS 46AX is perfect for it because the plane is light. Mine has a Magnum XLS46 which is similar in power to your OS, and it flies with plenty of power. I use a 10X6 prop on it which seems to be the perfect prop for the engine and airframe. You wont be dissapointed. I hope this help

Best Regards.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:08 AM
CrashedTrainer

Dear Warbird40,

thanks for the detailed reply... both about the transmitter and the plane...

i have read some more reviews for the 8J and i think thats what i am going to get...Similarly the Tiger 2 seems like a pretty famous low wing plane... so i guess thats gonna be my new model... can't wait to get my hands on these two now...

Old 11-21-2012, 06:54 AM
CrashedTrainer

I got Hitec Eclipse 7 instead.. couldn't resist the telemetry potential in it.... plus its for planes, helis and gliders... gotta test it out...
Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I tell everyone that asks to buy the best radio they can afford. The radio is the one item that will stay with you for decades so spend the money now. I bought the Futaba 9-C decades ago and when the 2.4 came out I waited until it was perfected before I bothered with it. All I had to do was buy a 2.4 module for it and I'm able to fly both 72 and 2.4 with the same radio. The cheaper sets we had at the time were good radios but not all of them had a module like mine. I grew into my radio and have been known to run out of channels and had to use the match box system. The better the radio today will still be a good radio tomorrow. Buy the best you can afford with the best features.