Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

An issue when flying my super cub

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

An issue when flying my super cub

Old 11-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Smokescreen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An issue when flying my super cub

Hey there guys. I need advice, I am having trouble with my super cub as it is flying sideways or more so drifting to the right. The elevator is abit banged up, as in out of shape, there is a slight left down right up look to my cub elevator and I was wondering if this could be why its playing odd, any thoughts?
Old 11-28-2012, 05:56 PM
jetmech05

Default RE: An issue when flying my super cub

is it always sideways to the same side or does it change from upwind leg to downwind leg...If you have a cross wind you're seeing the crab. and that will change from side to side depending on the pattern upwind /downwind
But if it is always the same side then that is rudder...have you tried to trim it out? elevator split should cause a roll.
Let us know what you find
Old 11-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Smokescreen

So u reckon my rubber is the issue. Yea its trimmed out to max on the transmitter. Although I will try and adjust the push rods then the transmitter
Old 11-28-2012, 08:34 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is this a foam electric you are asking about?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:36 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Is it your actual elevator or your whole horizontal stabilizer that's crooked? If the horizontal stab isn't level with the wing that will cause a yaw effect. If it's crabbing and you're sure the wind isn't causing it, then I'd expect a wing warp or maybe your tail issue is causing a roll which you've trimmed out with your rudder setting.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:00 AM
bikerbc

It depends what kind of Cub you have...As Jester said a wing warp trimmed out with rudder could cause yaw...If you have improperly adjusted struts that can warp your wings...You need to make sure your Cub is set up properly ...If you have a plane that has been crashed and had the tail glued back on you need to insure it is properly alined... Do you have the support wires on the tail feathers? Could be they need to be adjusted ? If there is some body in your club that is farmilliar with Cubs get him to have a look at it..I am the Cub man at our club..I just love Cubs I have nine all together
Old 11-29-2012, 12:01 AM
bikerbc

It depends what kind of Cub you have...As Jester said a wing warp trimmed out with rudder could cause yaw...If you have improperly adjusted struts that can warp your wings...You need to make sure your Cub is set up properly ...If you have a plane that has been crashed and had the tail glued back on you need to insure it is properly alined... Do you have the support wires on the tail feathers? Could be they need to be adjusted ? If there is some body in your club that is farmilliar with Cubs get him to have a look at it..
Old 11-29-2012, 06:31 AM
jester_s1

It sounds like he has the Hobby Zone Super Cub, which is a foamy. It doesn't really fly like a Cub, more like a trainer, but it kinda looks like a Cub from a great distance. I've seen a couple on instructor night that had warped wings but since they are a 3 channel plane they still can fly well enough for a guy to learn on.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:39 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Straighten it out the best you can and if it still yaws to the right put some left rudder trim in and fly it that way. You can't expect too much from this plane and it can't take much abuse. Just keep flying it and think about getting a bigger, better built plane in the future.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:57 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

If it is the Hobbyzone Supercub, the tail sections are prone to getting loose especially after a few crashes. If nothing is broke, just tighten the bolts that hold it together. I have several that have broken fusalage just in front of the rudder. A little UHU, packing tape, and a heat gun will stiffen them right up better than new. If the stab or control surface is actually warped, a heat gun can be used VERY carefully to straighten them back out.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Smokescreen

Would the heat gun trick work to straighten out my main wing? It is, as some have already stated a little warp would gentle pressure and a heat gun straighten out the wing?
Old 11-29-2012, 04:27 PM
jester_s1

If you can tweak it with the pressure of the struts that will be much safer.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Smokescreen

The wings are dipping down though in a sunrise sort of look
Old 11-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Gray Beard

Still haven't a clue what plane you have. If it's foam then there are a lot of tricks to get things straight. My grandson is flying the Super Cub by Hobbyzone and it does often need to be straightened out a little. A bit more information would be helpful.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Smokescreen

yea my planes a super cub bro

Old 11-30-2012, 03:58 AM
bikerbc

There are a ton of different Super Cubs is what we are saying...We need to know what kit it is , What size , 3 or 4 channel , who makes it,what it is made of ..That sort of thing ,, I have 2 super Cubs One with a 12 ft wing span and one with a nine ft wing span...I would not be surprized if yours is different...
Old 11-30-2012, 04:12 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey smoker bro here's some advice from a fellow kiwi.Try and answer the questions put to you as the poster has described,they can help then.I think greybeard is on the money
Old 11-30-2012, 07:55 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Smokescreen

Would the heat gun trick work to straighten out my main wing? It is, as some have already stated a little warp would gentle pressure and a heat gun straighten out the wing?

Yes, the heat gun can be used to straighten the main wing, I have done it on the Hobbyzone super cub, Parkzone T-28, the Parkzone J3, and a few others. But you MUST BE VERY CAREFULL!!!!!! You must hold the gun back far enough away not to melt the foam, but still heat it up almost to point of being too hot to touch, then bend the wing to the proper postion and hold it in place for several minutes while it cools. If you have an old pillow case, you can cover the wing with it to help protect the surface of the foam, but then it becomes tricky to be able to see if the foam starts melting.

If there is a break, crease or bent area that's weak, wrap it with a good thick packing tape like 3M or Scotch brand and cover an area an inch or two past both sides of the weak area. Apply the heat gun carefully to the packing tape and it will shrink and harden. If you use a cheap, thin packing tape, you may have to use more than one layer and the heat gun may melt thru the tape quicker than you can react. So use a good heavy duty packing tape if you can. I have repaired several wings that were broken completely in half by glueing back together with UHU and then covering with packing tape like I described and they are strong as new.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Smokescreen

Yea sorry guys I forgot the last part. My plane is a hobbyzone super cub dsm, I did the heating trick last night and managed to reform the wing so I'm slowly working my way back to full restoration. My next move is adding nilon cord as the wing struts. It works quite well too
Old 11-30-2012, 12:46 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want something rigid for struts like a small diameter carbon fiber tube, not a piece of line,
Old 11-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Gray Beard

When new those planes come with a plastic or nylon cord system as struts so almost anything works. I straightened out the wing warp on one of the kids plane with a 1/8X1/4 hardwood stringer glued to the wing bottom. Did the same thing to the rudder. I removed some of the foam so the sticks were flush, a pretty clean job. I was flying with the grand kids over the holiday, they have the same plane and I was surprised at the hit they can take. One of the kids flew into a steel stand and the plane was just picked up and the wing straightened out then taken off again. If my plane would have hit that it would have been toast. I was very impressed at how well they flew too. The kids hang them by the stab on the wall and they tend to warp. The stringers have fixed that warp problem.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Smokescreen

would changing the wheel size on my plane effect it's ability to fly? I changed from the stock stubby wheels on my hobbyzone super cub dsm to 1 1/2 inch light weight wheels, would this have thrown the plane out of balance? Ie. made it heavier. Also if I were to install a carbon fibre rod into the wings to keep them straight will i have any issues flying?
Old 12-02-2012, 05:59 AM
jester_s1

Technically speaking, anything you change about the external look of your plane will affect its flying characteristics. In practical application though, slightly larger wheels won't make a noticeable difference as long as your CG stays the same. Measure it before making the change and then adjust afterwards if necessary. As for the carbon tube, if you cut a channel for it to sit in and put something over it to keep the wing smooth it won't hurt a thing. If you create a bump there it may disrupt the airflow in that spot which may affect the flight characteristics depending on where it is.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Gray Beard

If the bigger wheels change the CG it will change how the plane flies, other then the CG it shouldn't make a difference. I used a hot wire I made to shape and made a depth guide and removed the foam in the wing 1/8 deep and 1/4 wide then glued in a hardwood stick in the wing to keep the wing from warping. Carbon fiber would have been better but I used what I had on hand. It worked but the wood stick can warp too.
I wouldn't worry about things too much on that plane though, think of it as a learning tool and when you progress with your skill you will be able to move up to a better plane. The foam planes are great and I love my electric plane, only ARF I own and have ever bought for myself but it's usually only used when I'm just going to fly a few times and don't want to drive out to my usual field. It always goes with me but is used at the end of the flying day after my planes are put away. Mine isn't foam and is a stunt plane but if my grandson was flying it when he hit the steel platform it would have been nothing but rubble. That super cub flies pretty well too but sooner or later you will be wanting something better. Don't worry about it too much, just have fun with it and learn as much as you can from it.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Smokescreen

hey guys, as an update. I have repaired the tail boom of my plane. I have reinforced it with stiff cardboard and covered that with paging tape to smooth out the edges. So in short my horizontal stabilizer is now straight. I will be testing the plane this arvo so I will report back on it's success or failure

chur