Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Maiden flight trim settings

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Maiden flight trim settings

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:04 PM
oil_can_harry
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maiden flight trim settings

I took my L A Raider out today for its maiden flight today. I have installed a Magnum 52x engine swinging a 11x6 master airscrew prop. After checking everything, I lit it up and took off. I immediately had to give it right aileron to get it level and after climbing up to good altitude I started trimming it out. It took about 6 to 7 clicks right to get it level and after that it flew fine. After getting the feel of a new plane and several touch and go's I landed and taxied over to my flight box, shut it down and reached down to turn it off, and noticed the left aileron slightly up off center and the right aileron slightly down off center. I was lost as to why it needed this to fly level. I refueled and took off again and it leveled right out and flew with no problems. I came home and measured out the entire plane and everything is spot on. So I am at a loss as to why it will only fly level at this setting. Could it be the there is not enough firewall angle to overcome engine thrust ? There is nothing warped, or out of alignment but there is 1/8 inch difference in the right and left aileron. If i take the 6 clicks out and go back to neutral on my radio they are dead even. Any ideas ??
Old 12-03-2012, 12:01 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Maiden flight trim settings

You mentioned that on landing your lelf aileron was up and the right was down. That doesn't coresponed with you saying you needed to add right aileron to maintain level flight... did you mix it up or did I read it wrong?
Anyway, have you checked the lateral balance? Hold the plane under the rear fuselage near the rudder and by the engine prop shalf. See which way it wan't to lean. Add some wing tip weight to balance it out.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:16 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming the ail/trim directions are reversed - did you laterally balance the airplane?

Paul
Old 12-03-2012, 06:20 AM
oil_can_harry

I did not check the lateral balance. I will do that after work today
Old 12-03-2012, 08:15 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Have you actually measured the wing incidence on both ends to see if there is a warp? It's tough to eyeball the wing and see even a 2-3 degree warp. Check the stab as well, as a warp there will give you a rolling issue. I don't see how being out of lateral balance could cause that much of a trim difference in your plane.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:55 AM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

There are very few perfectly built planes. No matter how well you do your measuring of the surfaces they are not going to be perfect. Thats why you have a trim button. The offset in the ailerons is no big thing. It does not mean anything is wrong. Something on the plane is causing it to want to bank one way. Could be many things.

Fly it the way it is and enjoy.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:27 PM
oil_can_harry

Thanx for the insight
Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

+1 with tacx... unless you are doing competition aerobatics, and as long as the trim is reasonable (I prefer to see no more than 1/3 of the available trim used for the airplane to fly straight and level at cruise speed.. I typically only use 3 to 5 clicks of trim on 90% of my models. I like my trims to be near zero all the time), there is no need to stress about it. just fly and enjoy
Old 12-03-2012, 08:36 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd have to disagree that it's not going to cause a problem unless the model is just going to be flown in circles upright. To give you point of comparison, I run about 1/8 inch of throw on the ailerons on my Kaos total for low rates. I've gone through that plane and gotten the warps out of every surface (yes, the ARF didn't have a single straight surface in it from the factory) and my ailerons line up perfectly when trimmed for level. If your issue is caused by a warp, it's going to cause unwanted rolling whenever you do a loop, any vertical line, or fly inverted.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:41 PM
oil_can_harry

The plane flys great at low, intermediate and at full throttle. I currently have 11 planes in the hangar and have crashed more than that. I don't recall ever having one that needed that much trim to get it level. Usually 2 or 3 clicks here and there then fly it like you stole it ! I just finished a balsa USA Moonraker kit and am hoping to put a maiden flight on it this weekend or sooner if I can get away from work.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:53 PM
oil_can_harry

I would show some pics but I haven't figured out how to download pics here
Old 12-03-2012, 10:33 PM
warbird lover

Sorry. Wrong forum
Old 12-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Instructor
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best way to check for a warp wing without using an incident meeter, is to use two wooden dowel attached to the bottom of the wing using rubber bands going over the top of the wing. If the two dowel don't aligne with each other, by sighting down the leading edge or trailing edge, then you have a warp in the wing. Sometimes the warp can be removed using a heat gun or iron. Twist the wing to take the warp out. Heat the wing while holding it this way. Check the wing again using the dowels. If the warp is gone, then you are Ok. If it is a constant cord wing, you are OK, but if it is a double tapered wing, raise the trailing edge up 1/16" higher than the leading edge. This is called "Washout". It makes a double taper wing land better, and slower.....

Larry