Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What carb can I use for a Magnum .28?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What carb can I use for a Magnum .28?

Old 12-05-2012, 02:41 PM
xray328
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What carb can I use for a Magnum .28?

Hey guys, I have a Magnum .28 that's running terrible. I tried rebuilding the carb, but it's still not there. Besides the factory replacement are there any other (cheaper) carbs I can use to replace it?

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2012, 03:28 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: What carb can I use for a Magnum .28?

I have good luck with a Perry carb. Just be sure to use a filter in the line from the tank to the carb, they don't like dirt & junk. Max H.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:37 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Just what is the engine doing or not doing? As long as the original carb is clean, changing to a different brand will usually not fix anything?
Old 12-05-2012, 06:58 PM
xray328

I boiled the carb in soapy water to get it to free up...maybe a big mistake? Anyway when I was putting it back together the barrel would only slide halfway in. I had to sand it to get it to fit. Which it does, but then the needles didn't line up, maybe they got bent during the barrel issue. Anyway, it starts and idles but one I get to half throttle that's all I get. Opening it up more doesn't do anything and if I go wide open it dies. I went from one and a half turns on the high speed screw to as far as 4 turns open, to the point oil was dripping from the muffler with no improvement. A way, at this point I think a new carb is in order.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:12 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Well It sounds like it's working. You say you get an idle and it's obviously transitioning because you do get to full throttle and are able to richen it up enough to get excess fuel out the muffler. I think you are having other issues. Answer these questions correctly and we may discover something.

What fuel? Nitro content, oil content, what type of oil.

What plug? Brand and model number

How old is the fuel? Has it been kept in an air tight container?

Do the bearings feel smooth? is there a " Turbo " sort of sound while running the engine? Does it leak fuel around the prop drive washer?
Old 12-05-2012, 08:10 PM
xray328

Well, I get to full throttle, but theres no power increase from half throttle on up and if I keep it there it dies like its lean, regardless of high speed needle setting. It just goes from half to wide open with no power increase, then suddenly dies after 5-8 seconds.

Cool Power 15%
A3 Plug
Brand New Jug of Fuel
Bearings do in fact feel smooth.

Engine ran fine the last time I had it running.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:20 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably the cheapest carb you are going to find for it is an original Magnum, replacing carbs can run into more trouble and usually cost more.
Food for thought, a part is in something working just fine, makes no difference what. A person removes that part for some reason, when they try to replace the part it no longer fits?It now requires sanding, grinding, cutting to make it fit? Did the part expand or grow longer or could there be another reason? Perhaps reassembly is incorrect or perhaps a piece of something isn't allowing it to go in correctly.
The parts in a something are machined to have very close fits so things like extra air don't get past them, sanding a part to fit after rebuilding or repairing may have caused a problem.
Check with Magnum to see how much a new carb will cost, if you get one don't take it apart.