Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Pre Oiling 4 Stroke Engine

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Pre Oiling 4 Stroke Engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 11:00 PM
TPL33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre Oiling 4 Stroke Engine

I've heard and read that you should put a few drops of oil down the glow plug hole and on the push rods prior to first run and for break in of 4 Stroke engines. If true, what kind of oil should one use?
Old 12-09-2012, 12:56 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default RE: Pre Oiling 4 Stroke Engine

I've not heard of that... and I own 6 four-stroke engines. Never did anything like it.. the fuel carries the oil... and you might be looking for trouble by introducing more oil then necessary into the system. Just follow the manufacturers recomendations.. you pretty much can't go wrong.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:01 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi teepee pull the rocker covers prior to the first start and dribble some atf over the parts,squirt some into the crankcase more importantly.Spin the engine up with the plug out and your good to go in americanese
Old 12-09-2012, 06:31 AM
jetmech05

The engine has already been oiled for you by the manufacturer. Fuel it and go
Old 12-09-2012, 07:06 AM
bikerbc

I do not think you need to pre lubricate because there is plenty of oil in the fuel you will be running ...just follow the maufacturers start up procedure and you will be fine...
Old 12-09-2012, 10:16 AM
TPL33

The SAITO manual that comes with the engine says to pre-oil the engine. It say's, "Because the engine may have been sitting for an extended period of time prior to purchase, a few drops of light oil through the breather nipple into the crankcase and down the pushrods is reccomended prior to running the engine". I agree with some. probably not necessary as long as you're using a fuel with enough lubricant. It says "a few drops", so, in reality, how much lubricating are you actually doing..

Old 12-09-2012, 02:02 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: TPL33

The SAITO manual that comes with the engine says to pre-oil the engine. It say's, ''Because the engine may have been sitting for an extended period of time prior to purchase, a few drops of light oil through the breather nipple into the crankcase and down the pushrods is reccomended prior to running the engine''. I agree with some. probably not necessary as long as you're using a fuel with enough lubricant. It says ''a few drops'', so, in reality, how much lubricating are you actually doing..

I've never owned a Saito.. so good on you for reading that manual.... and reality say you'd be doing exactly what the manufacurer recomends.. it doesn't take much I'm sure. Have fun with the engine.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whatever the instructions say, it sure isn't going to hurt anything in most engines. YS warns against ever using any type of petroleum products in there engines, never use any type of ARO in them unless OKed by YS.
When I was building VW engines I always used a lubra plate on all surfaces like rockers and cam lobes and pre oiled the cylinders just for that first run up. I understand the apples and oranges but it doesn't hurt. I have never done it to a glow engine but that also counts for nothing.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:28 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

" YS warns against ever using any type of petroleum products in there engines, never use any type of ARO in them unless OKed by YS. "

Because the petroleum product WILL attack the nitrile/rubber/whatever used in their onboard fuel pumps.

Les
Old 12-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

'' YS warns against ever using any type of petroleum products in there engines, never use any type of ARO in them unless OKed by YS. ''

Because the petroleum product WILL attack the nitrile/rubber/whatever used in their onboard fuel pumps.

Les
Yep, I don't keep up with everything that is new on the market but I hear YS has an approved oil to use if you like as an ARO? I use straight Castor oil I got from SIG to use when I rebuild them. I also use Klotz.
I just used some Marvel Mystery oil in one this week after I did a valve job on the engine. as soon as I buttoned it all up I took it right out and fired it up though so no big deal.
After giving it some thought I can't recall ever pre oiling a new engine before starting but every engine I have worked on do get pre oiled to some degree.