Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

hair spray a sanding sealer

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

hair spray a sanding sealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:19 AM
kitman09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hair spray a sanding sealer

hi, i am fixing to start covering a dynaflite pt-19 with 100% polyester dress lining and polycrylic. was wondering if i could use aqunet hair spray as a sealer first since it is a laquer, to seal the wood
thanks.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:48 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: hair spray a sanding sealer

I've never tried it, but have read where guys do it. Honestly, I can;t imagine it would work very well.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:01 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Sounds like a very expensive metod! Why not doing it the old way of brushing dope on?
Old 12-18-2012, 11:28 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's actually pretty cheap way to lightly seal the wood. I use it on wing sheeting for foam cores to limit the amount of glue absorbed by the wood.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:20 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Some guys use it to seal the balsa wood before covering with Monokote or Ultra Coat.

Bob
Old 12-18-2012, 12:37 PM
huck1199

Works well and smells good too.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:09 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The price is cheap if you get it at a dollar store. I've used it for years to help activate the adhesive on covering, especially if I'm recovering an old airframe . It also helps seal when there is some oil soak, that is if you got most of the oil out first. Kitty litter, electronic cleaner, baking soda or what ever you use to get the oil out . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 12-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: sensei

Some guys use it to seal the balsa wood before covering with Monokote or Ultra Coat.

Bob
As a sealer?? Probably no? I do keep a big can of the really cheap lacquer hair spray in my shop to do as sensei said before using covering. Usually a recover in case there is still a bit of oil on the wood. The hair spray melts/softens with the irons heat and gets the covering to stick really well. For sealer I use Deft Sanding lacquer sealer and it will seal the wood and if you need to you can add an extra coat or two so the wood grain is filled. I use the deft to glass with but on a plane just getting covered with plastic film there is no reason for it. It too softens with the irons heat but it adds more weight then just a mist of hair spray. I have never tried it with the dress lining. Sense the advent of Solartex I haven't used silk or dress lining.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:57 PM
jetmech05

I have used it myself..you want the cheap hairspray....sand smooth then a light coat....helps the covering iron down better as well...works like a charm
Old 12-18-2012, 06:45 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

+1
Old 12-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Andrewmc

Hi Gray Beard

What do you use to apply the sanding sealer? A brush (conventional) or an air brush spray? Do you thin it down first or apply straight out of the tin?

I have a cub which I have been building for about 10 years (no joke) and it is at the stage where I need to paint the cockpit. I tried applying primer but it has gone powdery and I am debating using a sanding sealer - after cleaning of the dud primer before adding the topcoat.

Andrew
Old 12-19-2012, 03:35 AM
sensei

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: sensei

Bob
As a sealer?? Probably no? I do keep a big can of the really cheap lacquer hair spray in my shop to do as sensei said before using covering. Usually a recover in case there is still a bit of oil on the wood. The hair spray melts/softens with the irons heat and gets the covering to stick really well. For sealer I use Deft Sanding lacquer sealer and it will seal the wood and if you need to you can add an extra coat or two so the wood grain is filled. I use the deft to glass with but on a plane just getting covered with plastic film there is no reason for it. It too softens with the irons heat but it adds more weight then just a mist of hair spray. I have never tried it with the dress lining. Sense the advent of Solartex I haven't used silk or dress lining.
Yes, I stand corrected; it seals down all those little whiskers on the balsa, while providing a smooth lightweight base for the iron on covering films...

Bob
Old 12-19-2012, 08:10 AM
ma_mulcahy

And if your build is getting frustrating, just put an ignition source between Aquanet and your bird and you can start all over again. A buddy of mine tried a number of fuel sources for his PVC potato gun and found Aquanet to be the best propellant!
Old 12-19-2012, 08:35 AM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: kitman09

hi, i am fixing to start covering a dynaflite pt-19 with 100% polyester dress lining and polycrylic. was wondering if i could use aqunet hair spray as a sealer first since it is a laquer, to seal the wood
thanks.

yes you can.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Andrewmc

Hi Gray Beard

What do you use to apply the sanding sealer? A brush (conventional) or an air brush spray? Do you thin it down first or apply straight out of the tin?

I have a cub which I have been building for about 10 years (no joke) and it is at the stage where I need to paint the cockpit. I tried applying primer but it has gone powdery and I am debating using a sanding sealer - after cleaning of the dud primer before adding the topcoat.

Andrew
I have just never tried hair spray as a sealer and don't know if it works as a sealer or not. I only have used it when doing covering repairs.
I also never seal the frame with real sanding sealer if I'm going to use covering.
I use deft Sanding lacquer Sealer to glass my planes instead of resin is all.
I do not use the water based sealer and I use it full strength right out of the can with a brush. About 80% of the chemicals in it gas off so there isn't a lot of weight left behind. I do brush on two coats onto the bare wood then sand before I start to lay on the glass. It's just to keep the glassing coats from absorbing into the wood and being wasted.
My thinking is a sealer is supposed to seal up the wood pores and make the wood smooth so I think the hair spray wouldn't make a good sealer. It does really help in holding covering onto the wood. I'm trying to remove the covering off of my old pattern plane that someone used hair spry on the wood and it is really hell trying to get it off.
The Deft will fill in the wood grain and probably hold down covering too? I'm just not sure, I have never used it on a plane getting covered? If you want to use it then paint make sure the paint you use is lacquer based!!!
Old 12-19-2012, 02:36 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ma_mulcahy

And if your build is getting frustrating, just put an ignition source between Aquanet and your bird and you can start all over again. A buddy of mine tried a number of fuel sources for his PVC potato gun and found Aquanet to be the best propellant!
Yep, that's the stuff for a spud gun! According to the potato cannon gurus it is because it contains the highest percentage of butane. I don't know if that's true but dang, those chicks will put some weird stuff on their hair!

Dave
Old 12-19-2012, 04:51 PM
larryak
My Feedback: (32)

I would be afraid that someone out at the club may wink at me.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:54 PM
oskartek

Don't worry larryak, only your hairdresser would know for sure 

Happy flyin', Oscar
Old 12-20-2012, 03:20 AM
TomCrump

The intent of using hair spray is to aid in adhesion, not to seal the wood. Lacquer based hair sprays are sometimes used as substitutes for products such as Balsarite.

I only use hair spray if I am covering with Solartex, Monokote, etc, whic alreay have a heat activated adhesive. I would not use it with any product, such as dress lining.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:37 AM
sensei

ORIGINAL: TomCrump

The intent of using hair spray is to aid in adhesion, not to seal the wood. Lacquer based hair sprays are sometimes used as substitutes for products such as Balsarite.

I only use hair spray if I am covering with Solartex, Monokote, etc, whic alreay have a heat activated adhesive. I would not use it with any product, such as dress lining.
Yes, but it does seal down the whiskers and leaves everything real slick.

Bob
Old 12-20-2012, 03:51 AM
TomCrump

Is slick a good thing ?

When I sealed balsa, before glassing with Poly C, I ran into adhesion problems between the two components. The Poly laid on top of the sealer, instead of penetrating the wood.

The OP doesn't state how he plans to adhere his dress lining to the airframe, but to me, the idea would be to create a composite. The lining is placed over the wing, and whatever adhesive is applied over it, soaking through the lining, and into the wood. This makes a nice, strong bond. Creating a barrier, by sealing the wood, could easily weaken the process, by not allowing the adhesive to penetrate the balsa.

I may be wrong, Bob. These are just my observations.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:10 AM
sensei

I have used Stits covering system on all the full scale airplanes I have built over the years as well as some models, if there is any areas that are not open bay areas and are sheeted instead, then I used 3/4 oz. class and Poly C in those areas and overlaped onto them about 2.00" with the Stits covering system and finally prime and topcoat. Now if I am going to Monokote an airplane then yes the slick balsa finish is better for me because I strive for a 12" stand off show quality finish on all my builds and everything under a plastic covered airplane shows.

Bob
Old 12-20-2012, 06:54 AM
kitman09

thanks tom, i plan on using the poly to adhere the dress lining to the frame. so you dont use a sealer when using poly. this dont warp the wood frame.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:01 AM
TomCrump

Use Poly in thin coats. This will keep any warpage to a minimum.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:26 PM
telejojo

It's just a water based sizing or how would you wash it out of hair.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.