Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Giant Big Stick Info Please

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Giant Big Stick Info Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 AM
aa2dd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Big Stick Info Please

Hi folks

In process of assembling a GP Giant Big Stick. The fire wall is laid out with the opening for fuel lines, and center line for engine off center and towards the port side of the firewall. Is there a reason for this? I am mounting a DLE 35, and thinking that i should just center the engine at the center of the fire wall, but not sure if this is an error. Does anyone know the reason for the factory layout?

thanks

Bruce

aa2dd
Old 01-05-2013, 08:59 AM
michael wood
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Giant Big Stick Info Please

Hi I had one and it was a blast to fly I lost mine due to an elevator rod breaking I will get another one. Several things I would do different is 1 change all the hinges use heavy duty ones 2. bigger wheels 4 inches 3. 2 inch tail wheel 4. carbon fiber rods 5. use a choke servo 6. I had A MT35 on mine and lined the mounts up using the cross on the fire wall and centered the carb to it and it flew just fine and watch the tail feathers the mono coat seemed like it was old I could just touch it and it would tear hope this helps michael
Old 01-05-2013, 09:05 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The off-center location is probably there to allow for some right thrust while still keeping the spinner centered.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:30 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Jester_s1 is correct. Mount the engine off-center and go fly.

Dan
Old 01-05-2013, 03:23 PM
aa2dd

Hi Mike

thanks for responce. I used radio south hinges. made the push rods from carbon fiber.
will follow your advice on engine mounting. was thinking about using my DL-50, but was a bit nervous about it. the firewall installation does not look like the strongest I have seen. Am using digital servos AND bought 6" wheels for her! should look different with the big tires!! Hope the DL-35 is going to be engine enough to make her trot! i like lots of power.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:25 PM
aa2dd

thanks guys. I will follow the advice you all posted. thanks again ... appreciate the help

Bruce
Old 01-05-2013, 03:28 PM
aa2dd

response ..... sorry ..... duhhhhhh!!!!!

Bruce
Old 01-08-2013, 01:04 PM
SCOTT42
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry I dont mean to hi jack your thread but im about to start the same arf today and have thought about useing carbonfiber ros for the push rods, now is there any size that would be best to use? What are you guys useing?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:27 PM
aa2dd

hello

all the push rods on this plane i built from carbon fiber rod. the threaded ends are glued in with jb weld. have done this before and no failures so far.

Bruce

aa2dd
Old 01-08-2013, 02:29 PM
aa2dd

ohhhhh btw, thanks for the information on the firewall. you guys are absolutely correct as to the reason for the offset lineup. the firewall is built in with a slight angle. thanks again guys.

Bruce

aa2dd
Old 01-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

There is a long running series of posts here on RCU, been going for years...........
I have a GUS with a 50 cc XYZ on it, previously had a 40 cc that was not running well, so good excuse to move up. had a bunch of great flights on the previous engine but the snow has kept me grounded so far with the 50 cc.
This is my 5-6th stick of some sort or another ?, it and the Ultra Stick lite are my favorites.
Simple is good!