Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Servo Sizing Question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Servo Sizing Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 10:57 AM
golf4two

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Servo Sizing Question

Scratch building a Dalotel (for Sunday type aerobatics), 48-50 in WS, Saito 30 Four Stroke for power. No idea of final weight.
I'm used to nitro planes in the 46-90 size range so not familiar with the smaller planes requirements.

Putting together a parts list before final design and build. Was wondering if Futaba S3114 High-Torque Micro Servos ( 28.8 oz-in torque) would do the job for control surfaces (two aileron servos, one in each wing).
(Yep, I'm a Futaba guy!) Or would something a little more powerful be required. No 3D, just Sunday aerobatics.

TIA,
G42
Old 01-14-2013, 12:01 PM
600Bob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Servo Sizing Question

I read someplace, right or wrong I know not, that 1 oz. of torque per 1 sq. in. of control surface area is a good way to size a servo.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:20 PM
golf4two

ORIGINAL: 600Bob

I read someplace, right or wrong I know not, that 1 oz. of torque per 1 sq. in. of control surface area is a good way to size a servo.
Thanks Bob,
If that formula is true, 1) I'm in the right ballpark, and 2) What a cool formula to have in my bag of tricks!

G42
Old 01-15-2013, 09:23 AM
Lone Star Charles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found this link a whille back about servo sizing. http://www.mnbigbirds.com/Servo%20To...0Caculator.htm I've used it to double check servo selections that kit manufacturers have recommended and it seems to be adequate. See what you think and let us know.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 AM
600Bob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good, bookmarked for future reference.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:34 PM
golf4two

Nice formula page Charles. Thank you.
For my application at least, calculator shows much less ( 1.605 oz-in) than the one oz-in per sq in (30 oz-in).

[img][/img]

Tried to upload a screen shot but don't know if it worked.
The calculator in this instance doesn't seem realistic. Maybe it's the small numbers.
When I get some time during bad WX will run it against some of my current models as outfitted.

G42
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19288.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	1840789  
Old 01-15-2013, 07:13 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd think just from experience that those would work fine. A .40 size Stick or other sport plane will fly fine with 50 oz in, and that's roughly double the horsepower up front and considerably more weight and control surface area.