Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

cold batteries?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

cold batteries?

Old 01-19-2013, 06:45 AM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cold batteries?

I store most of my batteries in my garage,,which is pretty cold in the winter months,,,,do charged batteries sitting in the cold lose their charge faster than if stored in a warmer area? If so Ill bring them inside,,or does it make any difference?

TAZZZZ
Old 01-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cold batteries?

batteries don't like the cold.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:04 AM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

The batteries will take longer to charge, will store less capacity. It would be better to bring them inside for 24 hours and get to room temperature before charging. If they are Lipo's I would not even think about it unless you are there to supervise/monitor the charge cycle.

just my 2 cents...
Old 01-19-2013, 11:55 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cold slows the chemical reaction that makes batteries what they are. A friend crashed a small plane that the radio used dry cells. Brand new cells but left out in his truck overnight and put in the radio at the field. When everything warmed up after the crash during the crash investigation, it came back to life. Charging cells does warm the batteries; I still use wall warts so they can be still plugged in before I load the car. I would be more worried about dry cells than rechargeable.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:05 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NiMh are especially poor performers when cold.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:56 AM
jetmech05

In full scale all batteries are stored in a cold room. But will be room temp before use. So to store your batteries in the cold(above freezing) will not harm them. Make sure you let them warm before charging, and charge before use