Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Great Hobbies

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 03:07 PM
bikerbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Hobbies

I don't want to get into bashing anybody but I have a question...I bought and Hanger 9 Taylorcraft from Great Hobbies that was on sale..part of the deal was FREE SHIPPING ..Also NO returns..They took my money . Now after the deal is done they tell me that the box is too big to ship by mail and I will need to fork over $135.00 for a courier to ship it....I don't think that this is fair...They ship stuff all the time..They know if the box is too big for the regular mail and besides they advertized FREE SHIPPING .. Not free by mail only...I bought some other stuff too and they haven't mentioned that. I don't know if its on the way or not..I know that like the plane it is paid for...I am amazed that a at home company would do busness like this...Am I out of line here? If they say no returns on the deal then they want me to fork over $135.00 dollars more and I refuse because I believe it is their resposibility and then they want to back out of the deal that's not fair either .. If I am not allowed to return why should they be allowed to ? They at this point have not suggested anything but me forking over another $135.00 ..
Old 02-15-2013, 05:13 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Great Hobbies

Never heard of Great Hobbies. Just wondering why you bought a H-9 plane from them instead of Horizon? Was it the free shipping?
Old 02-16-2013, 03:33 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

He's in Canada,, so is Great Hobbies,, you really need to get North more Gene,,, Since I live on the boarder with those hoosers, I know

bikerbc

Pretty simple, if you don't want to pay the shipping ask for a refund.
I think they have a get out of jail free card

Great Hobbies maintains no responsibility for inadvertent errors in its catalog, its sales flyers, on its website, or any other forms of advertising. All prices, availability, and specifications are subject to change without notice.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:11 AM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

I don't want to get into bashing anybody but I have a question...I bought and Hanger 9 Taylorcraft from Great Hobbies that was on sale..part of the deal was FREE SHIPPING ..Also NO returns..They took my money . Now after the deal is done they tell me that the box is too big to ship by mail and I will need to fork over $135.00 for a courier to ship it....I don't think that this is fair...They ship stuff all the time..They know if the box is too big for the regular mail and besides they advertized FREE SHIPPING .. Not free by mail only...I bought some other stuff too and they haven't mentioned that. I don't know if its on the way or not..I know that like the plane it is paid for...I am amazed that a at home company would do busness like this...Am I out of line here? If they say no returns on the deal then they want me to fork over $135.00 dollars more and I refuse because I believe it is their resposibility and then they want to back out of the deal that's not fair either .. If I am not allowed to return why should they be allowed to ? They at this point have not suggested anything but me forking over another $135.00 ..
Can you explain to me what part of that statement you didn't understand ??? No matter where you live.

I know we have fan boys amongst us but after all HH is not the end all to everyones modeling needs.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:21 AM
spog1

Did you read their shipping policy?
Expedited ground is not available to some remote destinations, for dangerous goods, or for huge parcels exceeding 300cm length plus girth. We will contact you with rates if your parcel exceeds Expedited Ground specifications and does not qualify for Free Shipping. If you are a remote destination, see ‘Expedited Air’ below

Old 02-16-2013, 06:27 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

..part of the deal was FREE SHIPPING ..Also NO returns..They took my money

The retailer is in the wrong here. This was an acknowledged disress sale with special conditions applied (no refund) but no special conditions about the implied shipping being free (not some exception burried somewhere. The retailer needs to be aware of what they are selling and know what is going to require overcharge shipping up front.

Now the retailer has the money and the product and special the condition that there are no refunds. Well sorry but that is not accecptable in the retail world if that company is to survive.

Bikerbc my suggestion is to imediately request a return of your funds if you have not already as their special shipping conditions were not fully disclosed at the time of this 'special' deal, In that way there is no harm no foul on either side.

If they refuse that well then this thread is likely to continue and thats not good for either side.

Let us know how the company handles your request for a refund.

John
Old 02-16-2013, 06:41 AM
bikerbc

Gene Great Hobbies is one of the larger Hobby outfits up here in Canada...I bought the plane because it was on sale for almost $300 dollars off what it usually was on for..It was on for $999.99 I have talked to a lawer and aparently they are on the hook for the shipping . If it is not crossing any borders and I am not is some weird spot then since they have advertized free shiping and they are obligated to follow thru..They knew knew the size of the box before they sold the plane , they sell and ship them all the time . They know if the box is too big for the mail . They have no excuse to charge me shipping after advertizing free shipping and taking my money..The deal has been made...
Old 02-16-2013, 07:14 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Ken,
Please let us know how it works out,, I'm going to go out on a limb and say as soon as you start giving them grief they'll just refund the money. Hope I'm wrong and you get the deal you were expecting.

Good luck
Old 02-16-2013, 07:15 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is false advertising and became false when they told you that you have to pay shipping.

How did they inform you of such?

Make sure you have a copy of their advertising. The copy should clearly show the item you purchased was offered with Free Shipping. Contact them and read it back to them and request they honor their advertising. If they refuse, request a full refund. You are not obliged to pay when the scenario is as you describe, and they have no grounds to keep their money.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:16 AM
spog1

Great hobbies shipping policy is clear, it's not buried somewhere. Click on the BIG free shipping banner and you are there. If a business has a no return policy sign in store, it's your problem if you can't read.
I think however great hobbies should honour your refund, despite your mistake.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:30 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.I bought and Hanger 9 Taylorcraft from Great Hobbies that was on sale..part of the deal was FREE SHIPPING ..Also NO returns..They took my money .
It is not clear that part of the deal for the Taylorcraft that was on sale included Free Shipping, or if their store policy of free shipping for purchases over $100 was what caught your eye.

No matter what, simply discussing the matter with them should be the next move.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:56 AM
bikerbc

I don't want a refund . I want them to live up to what they agreed to and that is to ship me the plane that they sold me and agreed to ship for free . I have already talked with somebody in the customer service dept. on the phone but they need to talk to a supervisor and get back to me...I am not worried about Great Hobbies trying to keep my money and my plane ..They are far above doing something like that ... I am guessing they will offer a full refund ..But I do not want a refund .. As I said in my eariler post I have talked to a lawyer and they are on the hook for the shipping...This might not be their regular shipping policy but this was a special sale where shipping for free was included as part of the deal...When I started this thread I said I wasent trying to bash them and I am still not at this point...I am waiting to see what they do...They are a big company and I have delt with them before ..Their customer service is no where near as good as Horizion..All I am trying to do here is be honest and tell my RC friends the experience I am having with Great Hobbies...It might turn out good and I will be happy and it might turn out that I will not be happy but I will promise to be honest and I will try not to bash a great hobby outlet unfairly... Besides the plane they sold me a Zenoah G26 Motor that has not been mentioned..I am not sure if is it has been shipped or not..I know it has been payed for...Thank you all for your interest and advice...Now for a little more comming clean..My wife is a lawyer..When I started this thread I hadden't told her I bought another plane yet so thats why I put some feelers out on the net about what Great Hobbies might me obliged to do...
Old 02-16-2013, 09:36 AM
spog1

The BIG banner says click here for details. Great hobbies is not obliged to cover your inability to read.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:42 AM
bikerbc

Looking the add over I am think now that they may have an out...It says Free Shipping Policy Applies and reading that over it says boxes over 1 meter can't be sent by regular mail so must be sent by courier. I am thinking now as many of you have suggested to just ask for a refund and call it a day...
Old 02-16-2013, 11:09 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

After they refunf your money make sure you dont buy from them again. I will not trust a company that tries to fool me and read the small print.
This looks like flee bay, they sell something for 1 cent BUT BTW the shipping is $99.99
Old 02-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Gray Beard

Ken, I know it won't make you feel any better but even here in the states all the giant scale planes / ARFs have an extra shipping fee attached because of the over sized boxes. At least the hobby shops we order them from are up front about it now when you are placing your order. Even when they are in the store the fee is tacked onto the price.
I had one of there T Crafts when they first came out, outstanding plane and easy set up. One of the club members just had to have it so I sold it pretty fast.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:55 PM
bikerbc

Thanks Gene , Actually it does make me feel better because I feel a little stupid especially after running my mouth off on here ..Thanks to everybody for not being too hard on me for being such a sap...
Old 02-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Gray Beard

Don't feel too stupid, I really got had when I bought one of those electric cigarettes for $5.00 on line. I didn't read the fine print and they auto send you the refills for hundreds of dollars. I got out of the deal but I really learned a lesson. I no longer skip any of the printed info on any product before I buy.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:48 PM
kwblake

Thanks Gene , Actually it does make me feel better because I feel a little stupid especially after running my mouth off on here ..Thanks to everybody for not being too hard on me for being such a sap...
Hey bc. Don't let it bug you too much. We have all done things we are not happy about. The world will not explode. Well I hope it won't.............
<script id="overlay_tmpl" type="text/html"><div id="" class="_mp3rocket_overlay_style" style="left: ; top: ; width: ; height: ">
</script>
Old 02-18-2013, 06:14 AM
mustangman177

No Harm-No Foul. You didn't bash anyone in any way in you thread. Simply stated a concern about a purchase you made with a company, and did so in a professional manner.

[i]"Now for a little more coming clean..My wife is a lawyer..When I started this thread I hadn't told her I bought another plane yet so that's why I put some feelers out on the net"[/i]

My concern is with your well being: How did the Mrs. take it when you informed her (finally) of your impending purchase ??

Old 02-18-2013, 06:47 AM
bikerbc

My wife is way more supportive than I deserve...She seldom ever gets upset with me over my hobby..She would sooner see me doing something like this than hanging out in the bar drinking or playing silly bugger in some other way..Deep down inside she must be laughing her ass off this time..
Old 02-18-2013, 11:58 AM
mustangman177

Good for you !!! My wife probably would not be as supportive. I think all our wives should be more supportive us of and our hobby. Like you saidWe're not out drinking or carousing and the hobby is actually beneficial.

Hope all turns out well for you and the situation you're experiencing with the plane. Do let us know the final outcome.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:36 AM
bikerbc

Well we came to an agreement today...They are going to pay $53.00 worth of the courier cost and I pay the rest..$82.00 They ship the Plane by courier and the G26 by mail..I am betting it will all come by courier so they save themselves the mail cost....Anyway they didn't have to do that so I I was treated a lot better than I expected to be treated...I still think that it would be nice if it was made obvious that you were going to be responsible for shipping instead of making it look like you were going to get free shipping and then springing it on you after you have payed $ 1000.00 for it with no returns...
Old 02-21-2013, 01:30 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

An entirely reasonable outcome.

John
Old 02-21-2013, 03:07 PM
Gray Beard

Sounds better then what my LHS could do for anyone. I was in the LHS one day when a couple wanted to ship an ARF to Mexico and he was up front about the extra shipping plus taxes and gave them some better ideas on how to get a plane there. You lucked out. Glad it is happening though, it really is a nice plane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.