Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

painting a glassed Model

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

painting a glassed Model

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 08:26 AM
buchtes
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting a glassed Model

need some advise on painting a glassed model ( TF P-51 giant scale), what paint? airbrush or alternative methods etc. thanks in advance
Old 02-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: painting a glassed Model

What type of engine? Gas or glow. As to the spray gun I have been using the cheap Harbor Freight HVLP guns. Gas powered planes I use latex house paint and for glow planes Klass Kote if my pockets are deep at the time. Nelsons and warbird colors may be a better choice for you on a Mustang.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:35 AM
buchtes

going Gas on this one
Old 02-28-2013, 09:42 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Youwill most likely get as many opinions on paint type and equipment as asking what the best radio isbut I will give you my preferences. I like using latex from the local home center or paint store, it's easy to apply and cheap to buy and they will custom mix colors without extra charges if you bring them a sample of a color you want. Most now sell a 4 oz sample bottle for $4 and it will go along way when thinned to spray. I use an inexpensive detail gun and and a Badger 2 stage airbrush for almost everything and even some spray paint in the can. Latex is not glow fuel or gasoline proof so you will nead some kind of clear coat that is.Here is a good article on using latex by one of the top builders http://vaillyaviation.com/Intro.htmllook at the article painting with latex. The biggest advantage to latex is if you screw up it's easy to undo with a wet rag. Enjoy.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:23 PM
buchtes

thanks raptureboy . What kind of finish will I get with Latex, kind of like the idea of wet rag for repairs or mishaps.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Gray Beard

So far the only silver I have been able to get is a gray color in the latex. I would check with warbird colors and see what they have. Latex can give you either a gloss or a flat finish. For only a few dollars you can get it mixed in any color you like, Kinda, in small jars. If your going with the camo colors then the latex is great. Easy to work with and cleans up with water.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:32 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only problem with painting a large surface with a small spray gun, is that it will spray stripes that are wet in the middle, and dry toward the outside. With latex, in particular, flow out is negligible, and you will show the stripes. You would like to cover as much as the surface at one time as is practical. For 60 size airplanes, I always used my 1 quart, automotive gun.

Les
Old 03-01-2013, 08:14 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats correct, the airbrush I use for the detail workonlyor for painting camo patterns on my warbirds. The automotive detail gun is about 1/2 the size of a quart gun and easier to handle and if you open up the fan will easily cover a big enough area not to get lines. Latex flows out pretty well if you add the Flotrol to it. One caution with latex though you need to give it a good 30 days of warm temp to fully cure andif you try masking an area too soon you can pull it off. Make sure you wait 24 hours and use tape for delicate surfaces. every methoed has it's + and - to it and only experience will teach what works and doesn't it's called modeling
ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

The only problem with painting a large surface with a small spray gun, is that it will spray stripes that are wet in the middle, and dry toward the outside. With latex, in particular, flow out is negligible, and you will show the stripes. You would like to cover as much as the surface at one time as is practical. For 60 size airplanes, I always used my 1 quart, automotive gun.

Les
Old 03-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 mate.Les could also try crosscoating and gradually wet the surface up like that.I'm an automotive spraypainter so have access to the workshop materials for my models,one of the only perks in this industry
Old 03-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Gray Beard

Latex goes on well with a brush too but for the price of a Harbor Freight HVLP gun makes them worth the effort.
If they would ever repair the servers there would be some photos posted but they are back to error 500???