Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Servo reverser w/ Hi-tech servo's

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Servo reverser w/ Hi-tech servo's

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:02 AM
katman74
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo reverser w/ Hi-tech servo's

Hi,
I'm putting toghether a seagull PT-19. I like to use servo reverser's on the elevator's because
it's simple. I'm using 2 Hitech metal gear servo's and cannot get a futaba or EDS reverser to
work. Hook them up to any other kind of servo's and no problem. Any Help.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:19 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: Servo reverser w/ Hi-tech servo's

I don't know what radio you are using, but once in a while, there are compatibility issues. Why not couple a channel to your elevator, and run the servo from your receiver.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:48 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

If they are Digital Servos, get a Hitec Servo Programer and reverse servos, easily done, no need for any other gadget on your ship. Tower Hobbies sells them.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:44 AM
katman74

It's a 9c with 2.4 conversion. I am using a 7 channel receiver. Servo's are not digital.
going by the futaba FAQ I still have trouble trying to hook up dual elevators.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:08 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

If its a 9c and you have a separate channel available, just use AILEVATOR mix and disable the aileron component
Old 05-22-2013, 10:30 AM
katman74

That's were I run into problems. I'm not a radio genius and always get it wrong.
Is there anywhere on the net that would simplfly this procedure.
Thanks
Old 05-22-2013, 10:34 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Let me dig out my 9C, I can probably walk you through it.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:55 AM
katman74

Thanks Andy,
That would be great
Keith
Old 05-23-2013, 01:22 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

From futaba

Radio System FAQ
I want to set up two servos to operate a single surface, but not use a preset feature like flaperons or ailevators to do so. How can I do this with a mix?
You can use a free mix to set up the twin elevator servos, or any other two-servo combination by simply doing a pmix of the primary channel to the secondary channel at 100% with trim on and link on, offset off and switch assignment NULL so that the mix is always active. Here is an example of mixing 2 to 7:

A. Standard mix from 2 to 7 to work twin elevators:

Press Mode (twice if needed) to open Advanced Menu

Dial up or down to a free Programmable Mix and press Dial to select

Cursor Down twice and turn dial LEFT to activate mix
Cursor Down and turn Dial to select channel 2 (elevator)
Cursor Down and turn Dial to select channel 7 (Aux1)
Cursor Down and turn Dial left to turn Link ON
Cursor Down and turn Dial left to turn Trim ON
Cursor Down twice and confirm switch position is NULL
Cursor Down, pull positive elevator, and turn Dial Left to -100%
Push negative elevator, and turn Dial Left to -100%
Press End twice to close Menu

B. Turn off default control of channel 7 in Aux-Ch screen so VRC does not affect the second elevator servo.

Press Mode Button (twice if needed) to open Basic menu
Turn Dial up or down and Press to select Aux Ch
Press Cursor Twice and then turn Dial left until reads CH7 NULL

Press End twice to close Menu
Back to main FAQ/Contact Info page
You also need to set the reverse for "7" and subtrim to match the mechanical geometry, etc

Don't be afraid to push buttons, you can always reset the model

Good luck
Old 05-23-2013, 08:07 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And if you still can't get it set up then ask the Futaba support. It takes about three days to get an answer but they do reply. I have a number of odd set up items I have done over the years and asked support then printed it out and keep them in my instruction manual. You can even download the manual.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:54 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If all else fails there is a simple solution. Now I googled a seagull PT 19 and it appears it does not have the two elevator servos in the rear fuselage on the sides. So making the assumption that the two servos are up forward and side by side or with other servos between them. The solution is to plug them both to the normal elevator servo port through a normal Y chord. Now simply rotate the pushrod of either one of them, does not matter which to the opposite side of the servo, last step is to use the normal servo reversing in the tx to acheve the proper direction when up is applied.

John
Old 05-25-2013, 12:26 PM
scale only 4 me

John, that will work, but you're bound to have some degree of mechanical differential,,, BTDT
Old 05-25-2013, 02:36 PM
JohnBuckner

Yes it will work and have done it before. Sorry I don't know what BTDT means. And yes there is bound to be some degree of mechanical differential. However when the servos are so far up front the angles become so slight that it becomes inconsequential. The differential that may be induced by this is likely even less than what many folks cause just by careless placement of control horns. We are talking a ARF PT-19 so its not some scale aerobatics super competitor. Sometimes the KISS principle is better for some missions. Not every airplane has the same mission.

Actually even when the servos are back in the fuselage sticking out the side you can just terminate one pushrod above the Servo on one side and below the servo on the otherside. Now before all screaming starts let me explain there is one more thing that has to be understood when this is done, Actually its pretty simple.
'
The servos when this is done must be mounted in a horizontal line directly in front of the control horns pushrod 'hole' that is to be used on both sides of the airplane. In other words that servos output shaft is directly in front of the control horn hole. Now the pushrods will both be the same length and both at the same angles. There will be no ackerman (whoever he was) or anything induced beyond the normal contruction errors. In which case that happen no matter what complexity you use.

The reason I checked to see if this airplane used the aft fuselage servos was because I did not want to make this suggestion unless this airplane used forward servos. The problem with aft servo mounts is simply most arf's put them in the wrong place and most folks are not going to mess with this and I understand that.

I have two ships out in the hanger right now and both are wonderful airplanes that I love to fly to the best of my ability. Both have aft servos and both use simple Y harness, both also have servos placed where they need to be during the rebuild as thats how I acquired them as projects. One is a Goldberg Wildstick 120/180 Moki and the other is a 50cc Aeroworks Yak 54. The Yak I might add is a joy to fly.

John

Old 05-25-2013, 04:25 PM
scale only 4 me

BTDT=been there done that,,,

On my Ohio Rc 50cc Ultimate back in the day before all this fancy electronics,, used a super7 TX,, I could get the end points the same, but they didn't run together perfectly,, the differential curves didn't match up. plane flew great anyway, no noticeable problems.

If he can't get the programming I posted to work, A $30 match box solves the OPs problem,, it's available,, what's another $30 right?
Old 05-25-2013, 06:09 PM
JohnBuckner

Ah yes been there done that - Sometimes You feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. but then you think of how many ways there are to crack that nut

So Katman maybe a 30 dollar matchbox or maybe just flip a control horn over?

John