Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 06:24 PM
fishman393

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump

Today I had a scary day. My fuel pump started a fire. Filled mt first plane just fine then went to the second and boom. It was a hobbico electric pump. This was only the second time i used the thing. looks like the wires shorted on it.every thing i have is new and not old. anyone ever had this problem?
Old 05-27-2013, 04:48 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Fuel pump

I have not had any fires with a fuel pump, but I have had them fail after pumping 2 tanks full. I switched to hand crank pumps and have not looked back, however even these start to leak. They just don't make them like they used to. I even went and got myself a fuel bulb, which is really old school, but it works when my pumps fail. Good Luck, Dave
Old 05-27-2013, 04:57 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never heard of that either but anything is possible. Most of the problems with the electric pumps are a disconnect between the motor and the pump shaft(motor spins but no pumping). Simple fix but most just buy a new pump.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:53 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fire no, failure yes. As walenda said, it is usually just the shaft coming loose, it is just a pressed fit. I have never seen one short out. Mine is well over 20 years old now and still working but like David I also have a couple of hand cranks and a bulb in my box just in case.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:57 AM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been flying RC since the early 70's, always used an electric pump, never had a fire.

Frank
Old 05-27-2013, 10:20 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glow or gas? I personally like hand crank, but I have never seen glow catch fire like that.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:04 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXB889&P=ML

I've used these for years. Never have had a broken gear or a fire. They make them for glow and gas.