Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Lost passion for flying, now what?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Lost passion for flying, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 04:45 PM
AllAfterburner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lost passion for flying, now what?

What are all these people who "quit the hobby" doing on this forum?
Old 06-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Live Wire

Just like most Vets. Just want to come back to the real world Where he left and has returned! Man did it change
OH it does not take long.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:58 PM
jetmech05

I too am a vet 13 years as a Marine....Vets fly for free? Sounds good to me but Not very realistic....Active duty ok Vets nah
Old 06-10-2013, 04:59 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our field is active with much chatting and discussion and a farily wide age range... I'm guessing 75 down ealry 20's and a couple even younger with one I guess around 12. It's nice to seek all ages getting along due to the common interest... Some of these guys are walking history books... the stories they tell working on planes, in the Navy, etc.. I had my electric little PT19 out and one of the members came up to me and said I used to work on those.. one day the prop was revving up and it spun off... people were running everywhere as it bounced down the runway !!

I think you need to fly what you're interested in. It also helps in my opinion if you like to build as well so you can build what your interested in. Sure, you can get just about anything these days in 48" span and foam... but those who see where I'm coming from... It's just not the same.... is it?? With the days upon us of drop down your cash and fly 2 hours later, there doesn't seem to be much buy-in to the process... physically, mentally and most importantly intrinsically. Through my very unscientific observations.... I hear this... "I just don't feel like flying" statement more often in the new crop of pilots who only know ARFs, foamies, etc or those who have been in the bobby for some time and have switched over to ARFs. There is one common factor in my observation linking these two diverse types of pilots. The lack of buy-in to the process.... the ability to get something with little effort often leads to boredom. I'm not a psychologist... I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night
Old 06-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Live Wire

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

I too am a vet 13 years as a Marine....Vets fly for free? Sounds good to me but Not very realistic....Active duty ok Vets nah
You mean you can die for your country but the country owes you nothing. Man I am in the wrong time frame , I thank you for what you have given US!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Live Wire

There are to many people in this hobby that think they are owed something and have not done a dammed thing but fly and complain. How about serving your country or your CLUB.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:10 PM
JKinTX

ORIGINAL: devil505

I am in the National Guard and was deployed over sea's from 2010 to 2011. When I got home I started flying again but crashed both my planes. During the winter of 11-12 I got a new plane and flew it about 15 times last summer and only about 5 times so far this year. It just feels as though I have lost the passion or drive to go fly. The field I fly out is free but usually doesn't have many people there. Just wondering if anyone has ever felt the same way. I am tempted to just sell all my stuff and get out of the sport for good. Please let me know your thoughts.

Josh
Old 06-10-2013, 06:14 PM
JKinTX

I am in the National Guard and was deployed over sea's from 2010 to 2011. When I got home I started flying again but crashed both my planes. During the winter of 11-12 I got a new plane and flew it about 15 times last summer and only about 5 times so far this year. It just feels as though I have lost the passion or drive to go fly. The field I fly out is free but usually doesn't have many people there. Just wondering if anyone has ever felt the same way. I am tempted to just sell all my stuff and get out of the sport for good. Please let me know your thoughts.

Josh
Don't do it, I promise you willabsolutelyhate yourself later. I have done that maybe 2-3 times now in some 50 plus years of modeling, and regretted I didn't think smarter each time. Keep your stuff, put itaside for a time if you burn out, eventually you willgo back if the spark is inyou and it will be there.

JK
Old 06-10-2013, 06:40 PM
I_Fly

I live in your area. While the club you describe (Flying Pilgrims) may be the closest one to you their are several others in the area. I know one exists in Northville (Midwest RC) and Saline (not sure of the name). A club used to exist in Ann Arbor but I'm not sure if it still exists. I also know the Rib Crackers used to be in the Northville area but I'm think they moved farther north. They should all be listed on the AMA website if you are willing to go their and plug in your zip. All clubs have operating costs so you will most likely have to pay something (a few fly on public land and have almost no cost). I have found that it's worth while to join a club with a nice field and good group of guys. It keeps the interest going and you get to see diverse set of models.http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspxAlso - don't sell the models until your sure the bug wont bite you again.

I have looked at a different field but the only other field in my area has a 50 dollar joining fee, plus 75 dollar a year due fee. It is a very nice field with a great asphalt runway and pavilion but I cant afford all that. Just wish you didn't have to pay so much to fly.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:55 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Simple. Do what I did years ago. I quit flying and got into on road nitro 4WD road racing.

It's insanely fast, the cars are trick as hell and when you decide to get back into flying, your transmitter skills will be as sharp as ever from racing the cars.

Trust me...it's a blast and it will allow you to flush the flying from your brain so when you return you will be excited and the passion will be back.

Beave
Old 06-10-2013, 07:46 PM
mirwin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Raptureboy wrote, " . . . . ARF's are like sex, all flash and then the excitements over in 5 min . . . "

Maybe so, but with ARFs you don't have to deal with a couple months of foreplay like you do with a kit.

Mike

Old 06-10-2013, 09:59 PM
koastrc

I have read all the post so far and Zach suggest women and booze. The secret to may success. Fast women and slow horses. Just kidding. My nephew's wife is the head nurse at our local V A. She made a special trip to see me. I was a bit surprised, but as she talked I could see what she had on her mind. I also served in the military. I also served in less than happy conditions. I also came back a bit confused. I did not think I was confused. Things had changed and I had changed for sure. Her question is what happens to us. My reply was simple and kind of silly. I said you folks have been studying this for years. Why ask me? She said she wanted to hear it from me. What did I think about returning military. My only observation is I returned a changed man. Model aviation has helped me over the years and if model aviation has done one thing. Model aviation has helped me find my way at times.
What is happening to our returning vets makes me ill. We all love you folks, we just don't know how to help. I know you are aware of what I speak. Hang in there and let the air planes be a enjoyment and a place to be at peace.Our club has many Vets and we are so very proud to have them. May the Hand Of the Almighty be with you.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:17 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Some imply they lose "passion" about RC flying. From what I can tell in my life, passion is from the heart and will and whatever I do, I am passionate about it - granted some things more than others, yet still passionate. Somtimes I get the thoughts why do I keep doing this? It is a choice and you can certainly change hobbies or even not do a hobby. To each his own.

If passion dies it is within that it dies and not without. I remember a man that smiled alot and he always was such an encouragement to me. I asked him one day why he smiles so much and he basically said to me, Why would I frown? There is way too much to much to smile about and beside I want to keep my heart merry.

I like RC flying and it has it moments when I get a little discouraged, however I realize that it is just me and I can get control of that and move on and keep it exciting. Another important aspect is to keep goals in front of you when you fly. An older fellow reminded me of that and it was good advice.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:09 AM
[email protected]

see if they will let you make a couple payments on it my club will do that 75.00 a year is cheap doing something you like>>. better then beer or smoking>>
Old 06-11-2013, 07:49 AM
Steve S. Helland
My Feedback: (15)

Build a kit. If that doesn't do it follow your heart and be the best at whatever you do. Good luck...
Old 06-11-2013, 03:26 PM
spd101

I kinda go through cycles myself. But i have seen too many zell off all there stuff and regret it, i kept all of mine stashed away. I usually start back building plastic models, then i will leave the light on over my bench in garage to give me moth syndrome. Thank you for your service.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:36 PM
WacoOne
My Feedback: (3)

I think one question to ask is....What do the models mean to you? Are the models just toys to play with or do you have a real passion for airplanes? I've been building and flying model airplanes for 50+ years and have taken breaks every now and then but my passion for airplanes always brings me back. Since I was a young kid airplanes have always hand a wonderful mystique to me and I live and breathe them. Sometimes I go to the field and don't even take an airplane with me; just to talk airplanes with other club members. I've noticed that in this hobby/sport there are what I call "airplane people" and there are just r/c flyers. There are people flying r/c that wouldn't know a J3 Cub from a 747. To them I believe the models are just toys for grown ups and they usually don't last long in the hobby.

Bill
WACO Brotherhood #21
Old 06-11-2013, 05:46 PM
ssautter

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

You mean you can die for your country but the country owes you nothing. Man I am in the wrong time frame , I thank you for what you have given US!
The Montgomery GI Bill and the Post 9/11 Bill can pay for alot of career training....includingFAAPart-141flighttraining.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:09 PM
chevypower1930

I've been there.... Really just getting back into it now after dealing with some broken bones from motocross injuries, as well as intestinal surgeries. Sometimes I wanted to just sell it all, but I knew in the back of my mind how much I loved it! It's one of the only things that you can truly escape everyday life with in my opinion. I have sold a few gassers, but have kept, and acquired more, electrics just due to the ease of driving a half a mile to an open field near my house and having some fun flights.

Keep at least SOME stuff man! You'll get that itch again, we always do!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:21 PM
JKinTX

ORIGINAL: ssautter

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

The Montgomery GI Bill and the Post 9/11 Bill can pay for alot of career training....includingFAAPart-141flighttraining.

Yep! Uncle really loves you guys! My late father died at 64, burned out and worn out. 28 years active and USAF Reserve. He flew more than some of the active duty guys did- had skin cancer and cataracts from the UV- he taught me to build models and I am still sorta here so so I guess he really did ok.