Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Lost passion for flying, now what?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Lost passion for flying, now what?

Old 06-09-2013, 05:12 AM
devil505
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost passion for flying, now what?

I am in the National Guard and was deployed over sea's from 2010 to 2011. When I got home I started flying again but crashed both my planes. During the winter of 11-12 I got a new plane and flew it about 15 times last summer and only about 5 times so far this year. It just feels as though I have lost the passion or drive to go fly. The field I fly out is free but usually doesn't have many people there. Just wondering if anyone has ever felt the same way. I am tempted to just sell all my stuff and get out of the sport for good. Please let me know your thoughts.

Josh
Old 06-09-2013, 05:28 AM
yellerchamp
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lost passion for flying, now what?

I am actually going thru the same thing because of changing my job and moving , but I know how much I love planes so I am just to take it easy and keep everything, so when life slows down I can still get back into it. Try and find something different to fly or maybe find a more active club. Go a different direction for a while I'll bet the passion for flying is still there...good luck
Old 06-09-2013, 05:32 AM
devil505

I have looked at a different field but the only other field in my area has a 50 dollar joining fee, plus 75 dollar a year due fee. It is a very nice field with a great asphalt runway and pavilion but I cant afford all that. Just wish you didn't have to pay so much to fly.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:58 AM
AA5BY

For me, the friendships and camaraderie of fellow fliers. some of which go back nearly forty years, is an important part of the lure of RC modeling but certainly not the only part. Elsewhere I've commented about form and function as design art form and how RC allows some degree of feel for function through the sticks at the same time as visual contact with form and RC modeling offers the ability to embrace some really great classics of form and function. For many including myself, a powerful attraction to that art form exist and is satisfied by embracing RC models.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:00 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

I'm in the same boat.

Been into models since I was 9 - over 60 years ago. I had to stop tp take care of my wife for a few years now seem to have lost all interest. Am in a great club but have not flown this year. I have two sons in the hobby so they will take my stuff - a large basement full with many, many kits, engines, radios, and built models. Will wait to see if the interest returns. Otherwise I'll take up woodworking.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:14 AM
Live Wire

I can not see some one that is serving or has served his country having to pay for what he or she are helping to preserve[:@] Yes There are times when you just give up on the hobby. If you have no one or group to fly with you quickly loose interest and get bored, know matter what or where you fly. Yes you think you want to get out but when you have you always wonder what were you thinking.
Things have slowed down for me too, great flying site but it seems the groups stick together or do not fly. I have 18 planes been in the hobby a long time and will probably leave a few behind. If you can find some one to fly with make a friend and enjoy while you can. The only way a person can enjoy this hobby is when you are doing something, Building ,Flying or just BSing
Larry K

And I also raise a garden and WOOD WORKING That's part of the hobby
Old 06-09-2013, 06:26 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Sell nothing, give away nothing, like McArther said, I (you) will return.

I've been in this game since the mid '50. Every so often I will get tired of it and put things away. Sure enough, something will create a spark, and I will be up, and running; Again.

Les
Old 06-09-2013, 06:38 AM
gene6029

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been there myself. Heres two things to try befroe you sell everything off. First, give it a break for awhile, maybe even a year or so. OR find something that gives you more of a challenge or reason to build or fly, like pattern flying, or IMAC, or get into scale modeling. I used to fly from sun up til dark when i was younger, now it takes me a year or so to build whatever & that satisfies myself until its time to fly it. The group of people where you fly at can make an impact on your interest too....Gene
Old 06-09-2013, 09:44 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

I agree with "don't get rid of your stuff"!! If you do, sometimes the cost of re-entry is enough to keep folks out when the bug bites again. If you've got room for it, store it. I also agree that a good flying buddy is everything. It really helps to have someone to knock around with and motivate you to finish a build, help you tune an engine, listen to you gripe about your "better half" or whatever. Maybe try out one of those cheap, coaxial helicopters you could fly in your yard, or build one of the lightweightindestructiblefoamies you can find online. Or like mentioned, just take some time off. It's *really* hard to get rid of the bug once you've got it, even when the bug lies dormant for long periods of time.

And RCPaul..... I feel ya brother. I haven't really flown in over a year because I take care of my mother who is 86 years old with Alzheimer's. As she progressed, I had less and less time for modeling and now have no time for it at all. Sometimes I go in the shop and just fondle through my engine cabinet, charge some batteries just for the heck of it, or whatever. I can't really work on a "project" because I get interrupted repeatedly all day long every day and I get rousted from my sleep all night long every night. RCG & RCU are basically the only things that maintain my sanity at all.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:12 AM
JohnBuckner

First off: Les, Gene and Patrick are absolutely correct and its likely you will be sorry if you sell off your stuff. That is a very common situation and I see this all the time. Also commonly see folks sell off all their glow stuff swearing to go and stay all electric. That too often turns into a big mistake but anyway back to your situation.

What you are experiencing is what happens almost everytime someone insists in going off alone somewhere complaining about the cost of clubs, fields or whatever and that is simply loneliness. Despite what anyone may claim to the contrary a very big part of what we do and enjoy is the company and comraderie of your fellow flyers and modelers.

If you cannot afford the club field then you need to work on how to afford it. Also another hint is there are many types of flying that can be very rewarding and many different venues that is well beyond all the hype over say 3d or perhaps that super scale P-51, Well there is a heck of a lot more out there than just that but you are never really gonna know until you start networking with your peers and get involved.

John
Old 06-09-2013, 11:22 AM
devil505

Thank you everyone for your post's. I think I will do what you guys suggested and just hang on to everyone and I am sure once all the craziness of life slows down I will have more time and hopefully the passion to fly. If anyone lives around the Ypsilanti area please let me know, I am looking for rc friends to hang out and fly with or you know of a good club. Thanks
Old 06-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Darkbird
My Feedback: (7)

+1 on not selling your stuff. I go through this every few years, sometimes from being too busy with other hobbies and family, sometimes after putting in something really expensive. Actually coming off this right now, getting my boats out again after 6 or 7 years, getting some repairs done to planes I didn't touch this winter, and generally getting excited about the hobby again.

If you want to take a break, that's fine. Sell/give away any leftover fuel, batteries and whatever you may have that could go bad being stored, and come back in a few years.

Btw, a sincere thanks for your service.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:42 PM
red head

Just go to the local club and sort of hang out with the people there, you don't have to join to hang out, you just can't fly till ya join. Hanging out might be all you need to figure out a way to get the money to join if you want to. The cost at that club isn't bad at all compared to some I've seen.

Just remember: It isn't cheap to keep up a nice field !!!! And it's only right that you pay your own way. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 06-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (344)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: devil505

I have looked at a different field but the only other field in my area has a 50 dollar joining fee, plus 75 dollar a year due fee. It is a very nice field with a great asphalt runway and pavilion but I cant afford all that. Just wish you didn't have to pay so much to fly.
I was going to suggest that you start dating women. But if you can't afford $75 a year, you can't afford women.
Besides that, are there any women in Ypsilanti?

Perhaps you should try chess?
Old 06-09-2013, 03:25 PM
impulse09

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

I was going to suggest that you start dating women. But if you can't afford $75 a year, you can't afford women.
Besides that, are there any women in Ypsilanti?

Perhaps you should try chess?
Slow day in the jet forum????

Hang on to your stuff devil505. Flight of the intruder reference??
Old 06-09-2013, 03:55 PM
ssautter

Try FPV....
Old 06-09-2013, 03:58 PM
mmassey

Devil505 there's. a dawn patrol at the Bay City Clements airport. this. weekend. Come on up and join us June. 16,,from 7 till about one. That's 7am.
Mike. Massey Flying Eagles. _
Old 06-09-2013, 05:17 PM
NoOneFlysAtMyClub
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I lost interest 20 years ago after we lost our field. Sold everything, several planes, 15 or so engines three radio systems and all my support stuff for $500.00.
Local hobby shop owner told me I was nuts, that I would get back into it and would regret selling (giving away) all my stuff. He said it would cost me
way more to get back in than what I paid the first time.

Guess what? He was right. Got back into it 10 years ago, cost me a bunch.

Now I find myself not interested in flying again. Have not flown in three years now. Still have all my stuff!

I still build. Mostly from plans, kits once in a while. No ARF's. Building for me is very relaxing and rewarding.
I sell finished planes from time to time. Funny how a plane built, covered and set up is worth less than the kit.

Keep your stuff and try building a few.

Keeps me in the hobby.

Tony
Old 06-09-2013, 05:31 PM
countilaw

What do you think it cost the members to build that nice field? If you want to fly at a nice field it COSTS! How often do you go out and help cut the grass and do field maintenance?

But back on subject- - Never sell your stuff. You always get the bug again and will want to fly again. Competition always keeps me interested. Or designing a new plane and taking it out and see how good or bad it flies.

Never sell all your stuff.

Frank

Old 06-09-2013, 05:33 PM
[email protected]

the club i used to belong to is 200.00 to join 100.00 a year dues so i dont belong to it any more the one iam in now is 100.00 to join 40.00 a year
Old 06-09-2013, 05:45 PM
eib

I just got back into RC after a 17 year break. All due to raising my daughters. One on the way to college and the other will be in three years. I kept all my stuff. Have to trash the am and fm radios to get the 2.4. But that's all. I enjoy it when I can get to the field. Some weekends I fly and others I cant. Take a break if you need then come back.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:53 PM
[email protected]

iam still flying on 72 fm>> no trouble i got 10 futabas ive had for years no trouble iam 81 now to late to change over while the ones i got are good
Old 06-09-2013, 05:55 PM
fred985

I am in the National Guard and was deployed over sea's from 2010 to 2011. When I got home I started flying again but crashed both my planes. During the winter of 11-12 I got a new plane and flew it about 15 times last summer and only about 5 times so far this year. It just feels as though I have lost the passion or drive to go fly. The field I fly out is free but usually doesn't have many people there. Just wondering if anyone has ever felt the same way. I am tempted to just sell all my stuff and get out of the sport for good. Please let me know your thoughts.

Josh
sure would give you morefree time to drink beer andpay for it!?
Old 06-09-2013, 06:10 PM
fred985

ORIGINAL: fred985

Josh
sure would give you morefree time to drink beer andpay for it!?
then you will find out RC is cheaper.............
Old 06-09-2013, 06:24 PM
jtotten

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have been in R/C planes for nearly 50 years - never got to the point of selling everything, but had several long periods of inactivity. Even during the inactive times, every 2 or 3 years I checked in on the hobby state of the art by going to a major trade show or a major flying event that features many different types of planes
Finally, something would rekindle my interest. Also, dont forget to check out boats and surface vehicles - maybe you will find they are of more interest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.