Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How many flashes in the pan have you seen?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How many flashes in the pan have you seen?

Old 10-08-2013, 07:54 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many flashes in the pan have you seen?

A flash in the pan is what I call those guys that come into the hobby with both feet, learn to fly and disappear as quickly as they appeared. I can understand those that don't get more than a second airplane.
But more and more I see guys get 3 or 4 planes and disappear. I saw a gent in the course of 2 years learn to fly progress up to a couple of 40%ers, and then gone, after a few months sold everything.
Wonder if you have seen similar things.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:20 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

I would say that those guys don't have basements to hide expensive RC parts from their spouses... :O
Old 10-08-2013, 01:11 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't discount personal issues like health, loss of job, or job transfers. Our club had a lot of guys that worked locally for a large airline also communications companies. Both have taken big hits over the last few years. Disposable income can disappear in a heartbeat. There are a lot of things that can get in the way other than loss of interest. For me personally I was away for 5 yrs and am back now enjoying it like I used to.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:40 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

I've seen lots of guys lose interest, but never so quickly or dramatically. It does sound like a wife / job / health problem.

Last edited by JPMacG; 10-08-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quite often. A lot of different reasons too but usually just loosing the interest quickly. Most everyone I fly with are ARF people, no builders, so it is easy to get into the hobby and just as easy to get out of it. Some people think it's a big social setting and discover we are more just individuals that only see each other at the fields. I had one club member that was into RC in a big way then one day was selling all his stuff? He had tried Ultra Lights and decided he liked that a bunch more and started tossing his money at that instead. Same can be said for most hobbies though, here today and gone tomorrow.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:37 PM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

seen a few, one discovered sail boats, another discovered golf, one lost his job, one found Harleys, a couple of guys got married, another is at college, and a couple more due to health/age issues, so as hooked and gray beard said, a lot of different reasons
Old 10-08-2013, 10:56 PM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

I see this a lot as an instructor. It's kind of annoying to spend a summer teaching folks how to fly, then winter comes, and next spring they never come back. But I understand that life sometimes gets in the way of model airplanes. I especially notice this with teenagers. At 12, 13, or 14 they're excited to fly, but soon their attention is drawn away by girls, cars, and college! But maybe they'll come back when they get settled in their 30's.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:55 AM
jester_s1

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I love those guys. I can buy really nice collections from them for pennies on the dollar after their attention span has petered out. I've watched a few cycle through the hobby who you can tell are just thrill seekers who flit from one hobby to the next. It's all about the excitement of doing something new and spending a lot of money on it. Last year it was a $5000 mountain bike, the year before that it was guns, next year it will be a hot rod, etc. They stick with something as long as it is exciting and new, then when that wears off and they have to work at it they are gone. You can get some really good stuff from those guys though because in their minds, their hobby stuff doesn't have any value anymore.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, there's always the Christmas present crowd. You know, they show up somewhere between mid-January and mid-March with the thing they got for Christmas. Usually with a couple kids or even the wife in tow. Don't want any help, maybe see them once or twice and never see them again after the crash.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:34 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

What I see is guys that have wanted to fly all their life and sudenly they find them selves at an advanced age or with a terrible illness and they are trying to fill their bucket list. I have seen some like you are talking about but most of mine have been the other.

David
Old 10-10-2013, 08:32 AM
jaka

Hi!
Sorry to say but model flying these days are "buy and fly"! Not "build and fly"!
Old 10-10-2013, 01:01 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Over the years seen a few. Sometimes sub 20s who often learned quite quickly then found something else to attract their attentions and spend money on. Others were older and while they passed the basic test found progress to be slow and expensive so went back to golf.

My favourite example flashed several times in each case buying multiple models with engines servos etc then would give up and sell them all at knock down prices. I bought a couple unflown at 1/4 of the retail price.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:00 PM
jester_s1

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

There seems to be a pattern to the flash in the pan guys, and buying a boatload of stuff really fast is a common thread. Maybe it's the personality, or maybe it's just a guy with some enthusiasm getting carried away. I kinda figure a factor in it is overwhelming themselves with so many planes that they burn out.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:34 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I've been in RC since the 1970's. In all that time I have seen hundreds come and go. I think its typical for people to spend 2 to 5 years in the hobby.

Last edited by TexasAirBoss; 10-13-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:55 PM
aspeed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always stayed in and got the insurance pretty much every year since around 1970, but did the motorcycle, hot rod stuff for 2-5 year spurts. I see a lot of 50+ year olds coming back into it now that they have retired and have time. I think life gets in the way. Lots of young kids are out as fast as they are in. The Dune Buggy and car guys are even more fickle.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:21 AM
bob62
My Feedback: (28)

Easy come easy go
Old 10-15-2013, 08:38 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

I have not seen too many come and go - only a small few. One was young and to be expected. Another bought a trailer and a bunch of planes was was headlong into it, then the next thing you know everything was for sale and not a word heard since. I am sure there were some factors driving his choice, but sure seemed amazing to me.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:16 PM
countilaw

I've seen a lot of people come and go. Some for job, wife, family, and relocation. But mostly because of loss of interest. They come into the hobby, learn to fly and then get tired of just boring holes in the sky and move on to something else. Once the challenge of learning to fly, and then the disinterest started. They never learned to build, because they didn't want to. They just wanted the challenge of flying. The didn't want to compete, because that took some effort on their part.

Most people that get into this hobby and stay usually become builders, flyers and competitors.

I think one must have the love of airplanes and be able to admire the beauty of their lines to truly enjoy this hobby.

Frank