Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Futaba FASST receivers

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Futaba FASST receivers

Old 10-16-2013, 10:46 PM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Purposefully being the key word. I'm sure they were just mistaken. From the Futaba website:

There's never been a better time to make the switch to Futaba dependability, because Futaba receivers are now available at previously unheard-of low prices.

Flight receivers. Surface receivers. Receivers with FASSTest, FASST, FHSS & S-FHSS modulations. Savings are available on over 20 Futaba receivers, including the 7-channel R617FS — the most popular receiver in the Futaba lineup.

So their plan is to get lots of new people to switch to Futaba, many of who would buy FASST, then pull the rug out from under them by discontinuing receivers that will be compatible with their new transmitter, not to mention their most popular receiver? I don't get it, but then again, it's been noted that I don't understand "product life-cycle management".

Yeah is pretty clear you don't and worse, are arrogant about not wanting to learn about it. PLM was one of a few roles I've had in my career so I've not just "learned it in a book" but designed and implemented systems at a previous employer. Dropping prices to incentivise sales of run ou or slow moving items is an old trick. Once the purchaser is onto the system they tend to want to stay with it even if it means buying up. BTW, FASSTest S.bus 2 Rx of similar channel numbers are not much more expensive than FASST or FASST S.bus Rx. That price difference is likely there to maintain an incentive to purchase FASST. That incentive to purchase is not in any way linked to maintaining technology. Similar tactics are adopted throughout the electronics world. Cell phone company's are the worst. New tech comes in at a high price, old tech price is dropped everyone flocks to snap up the deal, a few months later the new tech is in vogue and people are buying up within a year.
JR is doing it with moving from DSM2 to DMSS
Spektrum did the same when they moved to DSMX. New tech introduced, old tech prices dropped. Do you honestly think those companys are going to add production lines for increasing product lines and families? The RC hobby must be a big money spinner (yet to see an RC company in the Fortune 500....).

T6EX, T7C, T12FG, T12Z, T14MZ, all are out of production. All have been discounted heavily over the last year. There are new TX's coming that will offer more exciting tech and interfaces. This is a fact. You may choose to bury your head in the sand and continue to respond aggressively but this is the message coming from reps at toy fairs.

Hence I say ,snap up those R617FS Rx while they're still around. They're very reliable with a nice form factor. Once stock dries up, maybe market sentiment will keep it around, but by then FHSS / S-FHSS will have established itself as reliable, and cost effective. There will likely be exciting add on tech for it that FASST will not have (telemetry) and people will remember FASST as the father of FASSTest and that the son is filling big shoes.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:12 AM
edbu1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to know where I can buy any of those Futaba transmitters at heavily discounted prices. I've not seen a price drop on any of them.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:17 PM
TimBle

Earlier in the year, the 14MZ was going for $900-00, 12FG for 600-00. Guess you missed out
Old 10-17-2013, 02:30 PM
YAT-28E

I am so glad I stayed with my 9-C and 72mhz......I (and my wallet) cannot keep up with technology changes...

Oh and Nitro is coming back.....(for me anway......)
Old 10-19-2013, 08:44 AM
sweatybetty

Originally Posted by edbu1 View Post
I'd like to know where I can buy any of those Futaba transmitters at heavily discounted prices. I've not seen a price drop on any of them.
i use the r2006gs receivers in all my planes. last one i bought (3 months ago) was $45. now $30.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXARNZ&P=7
Old 10-19-2013, 11:01 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
R617FS is discontinued.
The old FASST Rx are being replaced by FHSS and FASSTest receivers.

No, the 617 is not being discontinued. Futaba has just moved production from Taiwan to China. The 617's I bought through last year are all marked Made in Taiwan. The one I just bought for $39 is marked Made in China. Having just moved production, I doubt that it is being discontinued.

Bruce
Old 10-19-2013, 12:07 PM
edbu1

The two 617 receivers I just bought are marked "Made in China". But so is the one I bought last year.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

If Futaba discontinues all Fasst products, then they are abandoning a market that has to have 10's of thousands of existing Fasst users, who will be around for a long time. They are going to buy Fasst receivers for quite a while. I can't imagine Futaba just turning this market over to Frsky and Corona. It is true that Futaba will not produce any new Fasst only systems, but they will suport the technology for a while longer. Just too much money involved. They are readjusting their market just like Spektrum did last year.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:09 PM
TimBle

Correct Steve, they will support the FASST users for a while still but those products are moving out of production to make way for FASSTest and FHSS/S-FHSS. Sure theres a lot of FASST users out there but sales on those TX's is on the decline.
Remember supporting the market does not = still being manufactured.

Landeck,Futaba has always produced some parts or assemblies in China and some in Taiwan since the Tsunami a few years ago. Its not a new thing and its not a move that indicate lifecycle extension. Remember i said 2014 is the year they are moving FASST out of the portfolio. This is a move that can take a few years to complete. They have already discontinued some servo's that have been around for a while. and replaced with newer servo's featuring S.bus 2 compatibility.

The only FASST radio remaining in production is the 8FGS. I doubt they will keep the R617FS around for it. Makes more sense to drop the price of the R6208SB which makes S.bus more attractive to that market.
Think of what you would do to encourage the market to adopt S.bus and S.bus 2
Old 10-20-2013, 09:57 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Among the discounted receivers are at least two no longer in production models; the R617FS and the R6008HS. BOth of these are FASST, non S.bus Receivers and were out of production by the Nuremburg toy fair already.
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
I doubt they will keep the R617FS around for it. Makes more sense to drop the price of the R6208SB which makes S.bus more attractive to that market.
Think of what you would do to encourage the market to adopt S.bus and S.bus 2
So, the R617FS is "out of production already" or in your opinion, you "doubt they will keep the R617FS around"? Just wondering if I'm uneducated and arrogant based on indisputable "facts" some low-level Futaba rep passed on at a toy fair, or based on your highly educated, internship experienced, humble opinion. You were so sure before, but now seem to be hedging bets. As far as S.bus goes it makes no sense in most of the models flown today that need only a couple servo extensions for ailerons and even fewer that need a couple for elevators.

Last edited by smithcreek; 10-20-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:10 AM
TimBle

hedging? no,They will keep it around in that stock will be available while there are units to sell. Once there's none left, then there's none left. Its gone cheers goodbye. Sunseting technology means its is going. Deal with it.
i've given you an example with the 6EX and 7C. Still don't understand then that's entirely up to you...
Old 09-14-2017, 04:45 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Funny, I was searching on the R617FS receiver and ran across this thread. I forgot all about it. Dang, 4 years later and still selling those puppies like hotcakes. They sure must have had a HUUUUUUGE number of them in the pipeline!!! LOL!!!
Old 09-14-2017, 09:19 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Since this thread was just brought back up to page 1, I just had to read through part of it and got a serious laugh. Someone was lamenting the fact that the R617FS FASST receiver was no longer produced. Just checked the Tower Hobbies website and found them being sold for $80 so I guess it wasn't discontinued. Also loved seeing someone make a reference to a FASST receiver being replaced by an FHSS receiver. Too bad only one or two transmitters can use either/or instead of one or the other.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:56 AM
foodstick

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am still kicking myself in the butt for not buying those receivers when they were so cheap ! ARGGHHHHHH!!!
Old 09-14-2018, 10:21 AM
jr-dub64

Question Futabs rx's

This is an old thread, but the prices of futaba rx's have gone thru the roof. 93 bucks !! what gives. So what other rx's could I use ?
Old 09-14-2018, 10:57 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by jr-dub64 View Post
This is an old thread, but the prices of futaba rx's have gone thru the roof. 93 bucks !! what gives. So what other rx's could I use ?
I have been using the Orange for FASST since they came out, Hundreds of flights, zero problems. I love the FrSky FASST for Futaba. I have about a dozen, again zero problems. Earlier this year, I bought 2 Corona 14 channel receivers , FASST, and have a couple dozen flights without issues. I can't justify paying what Futaba wants, and now that they have raised prices dramatically. It's a no brainer for me. It's now 3 or 4 receivers to 1. I had a 16 channel transmitter on back order at Tower for over a year and a half. They went bankrupt and so did my order. When Futaba USA started up, they raised the price 25%. When I questioned and told them my story, they replied , too bad, blame Trump. So, too bad for them. The Horus 10x or the Graupner Pro 12 look better at half the price.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:50 PM
jr-dub64

Thanks Steve, That sounds like a good alternative, I'm certainly not going to pay those stupid prices, not made out of gold !!
Old 09-17-2018, 05:33 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by jr-dub64 View Post
Thanks Steve, That sounds like a good alternative, I'm certainly not going to pay those stupid prices, not made out of gold !!
First question is what transmitter are you using? That will make a difference as to what receiver(s) you can use
Old 09-17-2018, 08:54 PM
jr-dub64

I'm using a futaba 6EX 6 channel transmitter and a R617 rx
Old 09-18-2018, 03:43 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Default Receivers

I have been buying all my receivers through headsup RC out of Florida, they work perfectly and they are on sell a lot for 20 bucks, canít tell the difference in the air! Super fast shipping also! What I here it is owned by a bunch of veterans that also fly. I buy allot from them.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:36 AM
jr-dub64

Thanks Hairy46, I'll check them out. Anything for our Vets. John
Old 09-18-2018, 12:22 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
Since this thread was just brought back up to page 1, I just had to read through part of it and got a serious laugh. Someone was lamenting the fact that the R617FS FASST receiver was no longer produced. Just checked the Tower Hobbies website and found them being sold for $80 so I guess it wasn't discontinued. Also loved seeing someone make a reference to a FASST receiver being replaced by an FHSS receiver. Too bad only one or two transmitters can use either/or instead of one or the other.
I've been in the hobby over 40 years,, and for over 40 years I've been reading and listening to people talking about things they have absolutely no clue about,,,, don't see that changing soon
Old 09-18-2018, 01:32 PM
Hydro Junkie

I don't see it changing either. Granted, I get things wrong from time to time as well though, usually, when I get it wrong it's either due to out of date or incorrect information through normally "reliable" sources
Old 09-18-2018, 01:42 PM
drube

I guess i'm too late to get the 617 at a discount. Just checked Tower and they're $90.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:43 PM
drube

Ok, I see this is an old thread... Oooops!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.