Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Flat foam tires

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flat foam tires

Old 11-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flat foam tires

I am just about done with the "take over" build of the Gere Sport I acquired somewhere. I have some 6 inch tires that are exactly what is needed. The problem is they were sitting under an airframe for a long time and have developed flat spots. I have tried hot water, I have tried soaking, I still have flat spots.

Does anyone have an idea how I can fix that? I really don't want to invest $40 in tires.

HELP!
Old 11-16-2013, 05:59 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been told but never tried this but soaking in water then put in the freezer?
Old 11-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Jim Branaum

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
I have been told but never tried this but soaking in water then put in the freezer?
Thanks!

I will try that tomorrow. These are the hard foam tires, not the soft stuff like comes on today's arfs but I am up for anything.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:19 PM
countilaw

Jim,
There is a chance that if you put the tires in boiling water for a few minutes, they may expand back to their original round shape. The only other thing that might possibly work would be to chuck them in a drill and sand the entire circumference down until they are round again.

Frank
Old 11-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Jim Branaum

Originally Posted by countilaw
Jim,
There is a chance that if you put the tires in boiling water for a few minutes, they may expand back to their original round shape. The only other thing that might possibly work would be to chuck them in a drill and sand the entire circumference down until they are round again.

Frank
Thanks.

Well after 5 full minutes immersed in boiling water, they both now are just low rather than flats. I am seeing enough evidence that something is happening to not give up hope - yet. They are both off center since the weight dragged them down. I just put them in the freezer and will deal with them tomorrow. When I get back from town I will give each 10 minutes at a full boil fully submerged (I got 5 lb blocks of lead for that and will put the tires sideways ) and one more night in the freezer. Unless someone suggests something else, the next step is the drill bit and sandpaper (rasp?).
Old 11-17-2013, 07:58 PM
countilaw

That sound great Jim, I hope the boiling water works out for you.

Frank
Old 11-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Jim Branaum

Well, 10 minutes at a full boil did not do anything more than what I had which was a slight lessening of the flat spot. So I got creative () and put a wet wheel in the microwave wrapped in a paper towel (never, Never, NEVER get your wife mad at your hobby antics!) and nuked it. The first 30 seconds it looked like the flat spot was getting smaller but at about 45 seconds the (hard plastic) hub exploded. <sigh>

Well I did some searching and found that supporting the LHS was going to cost me a lot since they wanted right at $20 for EACH tire. Dave Brown shipped me a PAIR for $24.95. Grrrr.....
Old 11-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Gray Beard

Micro wave and rubber If I wouldn't have started a fire in my micro wave I would have some really smartass things to say but I once decided to activate one of my wifes sacks of potpourri for her. Those just require you to put in some boiling water to get them to smelling again. I soaked them in water then fired them up in the micro wave. First time it worked but they were still damp so I gave them more time. Then the flames and smoke started to flow out the ovens vent. I learned that micro waves aren't the thing to use for a lot of things. It takes about an afternoon of soaking and scrubbing to get all that greasy smoke damage out and off of an oven. Voice of experience!!!
Old 11-18-2013, 06:05 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Heh heh I have you both beat. When I was in college, I discovered the internet and downloaded the big book of mischief. I learned that you can mix potassium nitrate and sugar to make a smoke bomb, but it will work better if you dissolve it all then let it dry. I made a really big batch and didn't have time to wait for it to dry, so I nuked it to boil off some of the water. Mom was not happy at the result.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Jim Branaum

Thanks to both of you for making my sad day better! ROFLOL!

Gray Beard, the trick is to do it in small increments of time. At 30 I stopped and looked and the flat spot was going away. About 15 later I heard something and we were done.

About the worst I have ever had was when the nuker broke. I went to cook a bag of popcorn and give it 3:15 which had been working just fine. I stepped out for a few minutes and when I returned 10 minutes later the smoke was rolling out and the timer said it had 27:40 left. The smoke alarm went off and things rapidly went down hill from there.

Never, no never, NEVER pick up a bag of microwave popcorn that is issuing great clouds of smoke - you WILL get burned! That stuff stinks for a long long time.

So there I was with all the windows and doors open in 35 degree weather...
Old 11-18-2013, 06:37 PM
countilaw

Back in 69 I was in the military and microwave ovens had just appeared. I was in base ops one night and this soldier put an egg in the microwave. After a minute or two we heard a loud pop. The egg had exploded and bits and pieces were sticking through the door screen. Sure made a mess of that new microwave. The Mess Sgt went nuclear.

Frank

But, I'm glad you found some new gear.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:04 AM
Gray Beard

This thread did remind me to go out and rotate the tires on my bipe I have hanging on the wall. The tires are resting on the wall and I forget about it. Not as bad as having a plane sitting on the tires but they do get a little flat spot on them over time.
Jester, You forgot the sulpher. About 1961 we were making smoke bombs and we cooked it over a candle. Just at that magic moment when you scrape it up and form it into a shape and put the head of a match in it the stuff is ready to go off. We cooked it just a bit to long and burnt down our tent.
I was still in the Army in 69 too, I didn't see a micro wave until the mid 70s. Got one as a wedding gift in 77. It was huge, a Litton and you could have aluminum in it to cover things like turkey legs. Had to take cooking lessons to learn how to use it. Every Monday my wife would do the meal in one and cook a complete turkey dinner and all the guys in the neighbor hood would come over and watch football. Now days they are small but they fit over the range. Really miss those Litton ovens!!!
Old 11-19-2013, 01:49 PM
countilaw

Graybeard, You weren't in the Air Force, The AF always got the neat good stuff right after the Navy. I think the Marines even got the new good stuff before the Army. Our Microwave was in Base Ops, where all the visiting Generals and passing through pilots would wait while their planes were refueling.

Frank
Old 11-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Gray Beard

I did have the Air force locker and bunk though. None of us in my company could ever figure out how that happened?? The food was so bad in our mess hall the officers wouldn't even eat in there. I ate a lot in the NCO club and off base. Couldn't even drink the coffee. The coffee machine was broken when I got there and it was still broken two years later when I left. The cooks wouldn't even drink it.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Jim Branaum

Originally Posted by countilaw
Graybeard, You weren't in the Air Force, The AF always got the neat good stuff right after the Navy. I think the Marines even got the new good stuff before the Army. Our Microwave was in Base Ops, where all the visiting Generals and passing through pilots would wait while their planes were refueling.

Frank
Nah..we used to get Army leftovers or rejects.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Jim Branaum

WOW! The new wheels/tires just got here! I think I am glad to have played with the microwave.