Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

One aileron servo twitching?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

One aileron servo twitching?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 01:53 PM
RCslayer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question One aileron servo twitching?

Hello,

I have a problem. Whenever I move my aileron servo, there is one that twitches. I unplugged the other one and surprisingly the other one stopped twitching but as soon as I plugged in the second, non twitching, one back in then it started to twitch again. Servos and receiver are brand new, same with engine and ESC. Thanks in advance.

Turnigy 9X transmitter and receiver
Pelikan 9g servos
RAY 2830/36 motor
Foxy 25a esc
1000 to 1300 mah 11.1v 30c lipo batteries
Old 11-19-2013, 02:35 PM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

first examine the Y cord (assuming you're using a Y for the ailerons) .. plug and unplug the servos (both) several times...
you may be getting JUST enough resistance (dirty contacts on the connector) to make em act odd.

you could also try swapping where the aileron servos are plugged into... (plug the left servo into where the right servo was plugged and vice versa)
see if the twitching follows the servo or the port where the servo was plugged into.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:33 PM
RCslayer

Thanks so much for your reply AMA. I have already tried this but the servo that twitches still twitches in both ports. The only exception it does not twitch is when the twitching one is only one plugged into the Y connector. If anybody has more ideas or ways to solve this, please reply ASAP.

IMPORTANT ( Please Read ): Also, when I say "twich" I mean as if it is a stripped gear that just cannot catch a tooth and slips.

Thanks.

Last edited by RCslayer; 11-19-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:51 PM
RCslayer

Should I maybe record a video so that you can see what I am talking about more in depth?
Old 11-20-2013, 03:50 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I get it,, ya know those are cheap servos, and a cheap TX and RX,, did you expect quality at those prices?

If they don't twitch when plugged into the RX separately/directly (not y-ed) try that and use the TX's mixing instead of the Y,, it that doesn't solve it you're going to need to start replacing things until the issue is isolated,,,

Has several GWS servos do the same thing years ago,, I just tossed them,, I stick with the Hitecs now,, more money,,, no duds

good luck
Old 11-20-2013, 03:54 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

I've seen this with bad connectors. The hint is when you unplug the one servo and the other works properly. Try a different servo or replace the plugs on the offending servo.

sp
Old 11-20-2013, 06:37 AM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

hi
its the connectors check to see if they need cleaning and that are tight i had that on a few planes i started changing the servo until some one told me to clean the connectors ends i throw out a few good servos now every new flying year i clean all the ends before we start flying for that year ,goodluck ,rye
Old 11-20-2013, 07:28 AM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RCslayer
Thanks so much for your reply AMA. I have already tried this but the servo that twitches still twitches in both ports. The only exception it does not twitch is when the twitching one is only one plugged into the Y connector. If anybody has more ideas or ways to solve this, please reply ASAP.

IMPORTANT ( Please Read ): Also, when I say "twich" I mean as if it is a stripped gear that just cannot catch a tooth and slips.

Thanks.
Ok.. if I understand, the 'twitching' follows the servo, and not the Y cord... (and ONLY twitches when connected to a Y cord with another servo) in this case, try plugging in a DIFFERENT servo (even the elevator or rudder servo) into the Y cord, along with the servo that does NOT 'twitch'. Assuming the issue goes away, then replace the twitchy servo's connector, or just replace that servo entirely. As has been pointed out, at this point it's the connector on that one servo that's the likely cause.

I don't think it's a problem with the servo's gears... if that were the problem, it would ALWAYS twitch.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:31 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

You have isolated the problem, replace the twichting servos connector. Or if unable to, send it to me, pay the postage and i will replace it for you. But it would porbablt be cheaper to just buy a new servo. You get bad ones once in awhile, just the way it is.

steve
Old 11-20-2013, 07:33 AM
RCslayer

OK. Thank you guys for all the support. Scale only 4 me, I live in Europe and the receiver costed 20 bucks and the transmitter costed 130 bucks. Sorry but that's a pretty standard and good set of stuff. Keep in mind that it is V2. I will try the mixing and tell you the results. I want to thank you all once again and wish you in further helping.

Mike
Old 11-20-2013, 07:51 AM
RCslayer

Yay! It all came to the conclusion that the aileron Y harness ( connector ) was faulty but I am now running the flaps through separate channels. Thank you all for all the help, rest well and have fun !

RCslayer ( Mike )
Old 11-20-2013, 08:21 AM
RCslayer

Closed.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:57 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
I get it,, ya know those are cheap servos, and a cheap TX and RX,, did you expect quality at those prices?

If they don't twitch when plugged into the RX separately/directly (not y-ed) try that and use the TX's mixing instead of the Y,, it that doesn't solve it you're going to need to start replacing things until the issue is isolated,,,

Has several GWS servos do the same thing years ago,, I just tossed them,, I stick with the Hitecs now,, more money,,, no duds

good luck
Just because its cheaper does not always mean its inferior. That turnagy 9x is a more capable than transmitters costing hundreds of dollars more. (or Euros).
And at one time GWS made the servos for some of the major brands
Old 11-20-2013, 12:52 PM
scale only 4 me

In my mind cheap means cheap,, inexpensive means something else

My one and only GWS experiance was this,,thought I'd try EP,, so bought my first EP plane about 4 years ago,, the Foamie Zero with the power package, one servo was DOA and the FM RX had about 4' range,, that's right,, when I got Four Feet away from the plane the RX just quit working... the exc/motor worked OK but was gutless for the airframe.

After a new servo and a Futaba RX, ,it flew,,it didn't fly well until I upgraded to a brushless/lipo set up,,, Live and learn,, ya get what ya pay for
Old 11-20-2013, 06:03 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I have to wonder what you would have done if you had got one of the first Fataba 2.4 receivers that was improperly programmed
Old 11-20-2013, 07:12 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

I have a plane where one of the aileron servos - I believe it's a Hitec -- twitches 5 times right after I turn on radio. Order - turn on the plane, turn on the receiver - five twitches (during which I have no radio control of that surface). Then it stops and I have good control. God rid of the Y-harness - same thing, but just on one side. I will take a look at the servo connection.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:26 PM
RCslayer

Mainly for me if a TX and an RX work flawlessly then I am fine with it. The day I got the Turnigy 9X TX, it has been fine and worked juast as I have planned . Anyway, good luck to you all who also have this problem and remember that the problem may occur in the Y harness. Also, make sure that the colors of the aservo correspond eight the ones with the Y connector. Don't try and mix brown orange and black with the white black and red wiring. It won't work well.

Happy flying!

RCslayer
Old 11-21-2013, 08:31 PM
scale only 4 me

the color of the wiring doesn't make a difference if the polarity is correct
Old 11-21-2013, 10:07 PM
RCslayer

Thanks scale only 4 me, though so. . .
Old 11-26-2013, 07:51 AM
K-Bob

Originally Posted by dirtybird
I have to wonder what you would have done if you had got one of the first Fataba 2.4 receivers that was improperly programmed
He probably would have had it repaired for free if it was within the small serial number range that had the problem. It would only have been a problem if some one else also had one and they flew at the same time.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:04 AM
scale only 4 me

Yeah,,I would have chalked it up to new technology,, not like the analog servo and FM RX which has been around for over 35 years??

What model was it?? I have a 607, ,I thought it was from the first batch, early on at least, I bought the module/RX set for my Super8,, never had an issue.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:26 AM
ARillos

RCslayer, you're right about mixing JR with Futaba wires (orange/brown & white/black). Looks silly to admit that but I was using a Futaba Y and two JR extensions and both servos were twitching. I just replaced the two JR extensions with Futaba ones and the problem is gone now. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you saying Futaba Y's are not compatible with JR extensions? Even when orange is connected to white and brown is connected to black?
Old 09-18-2014, 04:50 PM
ARillos

Bozarth, I believe the problem is in the connectors. As soon I replaced the JR extensions the problem was gone. I though the problem was the Y cable. But after replacing it nothing changed. I am using two hitec HS82MG, which have orange/brown wires, was using two JR extensions and one Futaba Y cable. If only one servo is connected it works fine but once the second servo is on both start twitching when I move the aileron stick. This is very strange because I have used those mixed wires before in other airplanes without any problems. Now they are fine!

Last edited by ARillos; 09-18-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:47 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ARillos,

I have chased similar gremlins hiding in an extension also!

Kurt