Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

blue E Z balancer question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

blue E Z balancer question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 06:35 PM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking blue E Z balancer question

Im trying to balance my GSS on the E Z balancer (the blue one).I think Ive got it balanced.....but Im a little confused the way its acting..If I push the nose all the way down it stays there,,same when pushing down the tail,,it stays there too..why doesnt it pop back up to the balanced position when either end is released. I checked the balance beam and they are not sticking and with no friction at all.. Has anyone had this problem....or am I doing something wrong? Or maybe the plane is just heavy enough to put a small bind on the pivoting cradles to prevent them from free movement?

Thx Guys---TAZZZZ

Last edited by tazzzz; 12-20-2013 at 04:03 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old 12-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Lone Star Charles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like the actual center of gravity of the plane, when mounted on the EZ balancer, is physically located above the pivot point on the balancer. If that's the case, when you push the nose down it will move the actual CG forward of the pivot point causing the nose to stay down. Likewise, when the tail is pushed, the CG is moved aft in relation to the pivot point and the tail will stay down. Sounds like you have it balanced. Good job.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:49 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try balancing your model upside down. That's a technique used with low wing designs that works perfectly.

The CG location is almost never vertically positioned at the wing's surface, either the top surface or bottom surface. It's easier and usually more accurate to balance the plane whichever way places the CG below the pivot line of the balancer.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:09 AM
tazzzz

Thats my dillema. I am balancing inverted. I'm going bananas with this. I resorted to my GP balancer. Although a little shaky it seemed to balance better tx
Gh
Old 12-21-2013, 06:25 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tazzzz
Thats my dillema. I am balancing inverted. I'm going bananas with this. I resorted to my GP balancer. Although a little shaky it seemed to balance better tx
Gh
I had the same problem, with a balancer similar to the EZ Balancer, I had a Giant Size 50cc Warbird that I was trying to balance inverted and it would do the same thing push the nose down and it would stay there, same with the tail; I came to the same conclusion the plane being on the heavy side, typical for warbirds was preventing the plane from just returning to neutral; I checked the balancer and the beams moved freely, I'm thinking that if the plane was not balanced for example tail heavy, that when I put the plane level on the balancer to start with, the tail would drop, but when I put the plane on the balancer holding it level, and it stayed level, and did not dip one way or the other, than I believe its balanced, can others chime in here to reassure this thinking?
Old 12-21-2013, 08:28 PM
tazzzz

Glad to know I'm not the only one with this situation I thought it was my imagination. Hopefully someone will set us straight on this. Cuz I like the sturdiness of this balancer. Tazzzz
Old 12-22-2013, 09:04 AM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lone Star Charles is correct. If you balanced the plane level, it's balanced. If you push the nose or tail down , it will stay in that position.
High wing planes, balance right side up. Mid or low wing planes, balance inverted. I have the EZ II balancer, they are great. Remember to mark the CG in the Fuse, line that mark up with the center of the rotating pin on the balancer, place the plane on with the marks and center pin so they line up, level and watch it rotate to the heavy side. If it rotates nose first you are nose heavy, same with the tail. If it stays level, you are done.