Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

evolution 10cc gasser??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

evolution 10cc gasser??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 03:42 PM
piercerljk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question evolution 10cc gasser??

have 10cc gasoline engine have ran over a gallon of fuel through it on a Nexstar trainer was wondering if the black goop it puts out ever clears up?
thanks
Old 12-25-2013, 06:48 PM
jetmech05

What are you using for oil at what mixture? My gassers are pretty clean I use red line at 40:1
Old 12-26-2013, 06:28 AM
piercerljk

Originally Posted by jetmech05
What are you using for oil at what mixture? My gassers are pretty clean I use red line at 40:1
I am using Husquvarna 20:1 which is one of the oils recomended and the mixture recomended
would it be okay to change mixture or would different oil make difference?
Thanks
Old 12-26-2013, 05:54 PM
jetmech05

I dont know about the small gassers but i have run red line at 40:1 on everything from a 20 cc to a 170 with no problems. it will take a while for the crud to run out of the engine but id say after a couple of tanks you should start to see a difference. anymore i dont use break in oil either go right with red line it takes longer to break in but its great oil
Old 12-26-2013, 06:05 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the 10GX and 15GX engines. On the 10GX I have around 4 gallons through it so far. During the break-in process the black goo was very heavy and I used regular 2 cycle dino oil. After the initial break-in I switched over to Klotz synthetic oil still at 20:1 and the heavy goo was reduced some. After a gallon the deposits diminished to way less than a typical glow engine but more than a say 30cc gasser. Remember the 10GX is an ABC engine so all of that metal to metal piston /cylinder liner wear has to go somewhere while it's breaking-in and it takes over a gallon of fuel to fully break it in.
Have you properly tuned the low and high end needles?
Don't change the 20:1 mixture but you could switch to a synthetic oil.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:57 AM
jetmech05

Brian brings up a good point about this being an ABC engine. In other words a glow engine with a spark plug. 20:1 would be best
Old 12-27-2013, 06:47 AM
flyinwalenda

What I've learned is that it is based on a glow engine with a different connecting rod with a bushing and a needle bearing with roller bearings on the crank. With the bushing and only one needle bearing that is why they say to keep the oil ratio at 20:1. The carburetor is a hit in that they got it right and it does work well. Overall it's a nice engine that produces the power of a strong 55 glow engine (in my opinion) plus it's economical to run. Mounted on the Meridian I am getting 30 minute flights around full throttle on 10 ounces of fuel!
Here is a current thread on the engine if you want to read or search through it.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-...as-engine.html
Old 12-27-2013, 05:30 PM
piercerljk

i ordered some evo oil gone use it i also have some klotz i am probably still running it rich too will try leaning some as well
thanks gentlemen
Old 02-15-2014, 01:03 PM
Basil Yousif
My Feedback: (3)

I just got my Evo 10cc engine in a World Models 46 size P-51. I hadn't run the engine but for only a minute on the stand. I adjusted the engine on the ground but when it got into the air the plane had very little power. It kept making a cutting out sound then it stopped after a few minutes of flying time and I did a dead stick landing. Should I run the engine on the ground for more time to break it in.
Also the muffler nearly came off from vibration it's good one screw held on for one last turn!!
Old 02-15-2014, 01:51 PM
flyinwalenda

Sounds like you may have had the high speed needle adjusted too lean. Or it was because the muffler was leaking.
Are you following the manual for break-in?
I broke mine in on the ground with several tanks ran through it but I closely monitored the temperature along the way.
Ir's not going to have a lot of power during the break-in process until you get several tanks through it and can better tune the low and high speed needles. I had over a gallon through it before it really started to develop the power and hold a tuning.
With the factory muffler ;completely disassemble it into sections. Get some high temperature red sealant . Reassemble the muffler using the factory gaskets and a liberal supply of sealant on all mating surfaces. Apply some to both ends of the long thru-bolt. Apply some between the muffler header extension and on the pressure fitting too. Get some blue thread lock. Apply some on the two muffler bolt threads when attaching the muffler to the engine.Let the assembly dry.After the first run tighten all of the bolts again while it is hot and it should be good.

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 02-15-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:55 PM
Basil Yousif
My Feedback: (3)

It's possible the muffler started coming off right after I took off and that's what caused the engine to run badly. I also felt the break in propeller was too small and so I put a 12 x 6 APC sport prop on it which looks more like it can push that plane. I hope it doesn't ruin break in to go right to that prop though.