Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

3D Flying & Normal Regular Pattern Flying same time

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

3D Flying & Normal Regular Pattern Flying same time

Old 01-18-2014, 05:34 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D Flying & Normal Regular Pattern Flying same time

I am posting this question to see what other Clubs do at their fields to accomadate both 3D Flying and Regular Pattern Flying; and by Regular Pattern Flying I mean the guys that take off and land into the wind and fly a set Pattern Left to Right or Right to Left depending on the prevailing winds on a given day, do the occasion Loop or Roll, but don't Hover, do Torque rolls or Harriers over the runway, etc.

I didn't Post this to generate a heated debate as to which is better, or PRO or CON to one type of Flying to the other; I'm just curious as to what Clubs do at their Fields. I know some clubs are at odds with 3D Flying with Normal Regular Pattern Flying and have devised some operating field rules to accomadate both types of flying to eliminate conflict, I'm interested in knowing what arrangements or rules have been made at your Field to address this.

Thanks, and appreciate any feedback

Last edited by dasintex; 01-18-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:01 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (22)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3D flying out in the area past the edge of the runway. No 3D flying if more than 2 aircraft are in the air. No hovering over the runway unless your alone
Old 01-19-2014, 01:02 PM
jester_s1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think my club has ever established a set of rules for it, but the general practice has been that 3D pilots get their few minutes to fly alone and then regular pilots fly. We almost never have problems because there is an attitude of staying out of each other's way and letting everyone have a chance to do what they want to.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:46 PM
hookedonrc

Our club is pretty much the same, no written rules. I don't fly either pattern, or 3D, but am happy to give way to either. IMHO, part of flying is watching the other guy. If I have to give up 10 or 20 minutes to do my thing, that's a small price to pay for a good day of flying.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:56 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Basically 3D just over the edge of the runway accross from the pits and normal circuits with other aircraft. Most just respect each other, yet at times it can get crowded.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:50 AM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

ours is simply no 3D over the runway
Old 01-20-2014, 03:39 PM
jetmech05

No 3d over the runway. But you know communication is paramount both the pattern guy and the 3der
Old 01-20-2014, 05:10 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

I don't like the terminology. Flying the pattern? A simple circuit with 4 turns lap after lap with the occasional loop or roll?

3D, is this just hanging on the prop or something more? I can hang any model on the prop, at least for a few seconds.

I don't see flying as an either/or proposition. And I really dislike the mind numbing flying of circuits.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:06 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Originally Posted by HighPlains View Post
I don't like the terminology. Flying the pattern? A simple circuit with 4 turns lap after lap with the occasional loop or roll?

3D, is this just hanging on the prop or something more? I can hang any model on the prop, at least for a few seconds.

I don't see flying as an either/or proposition. And I really dislike the mind numbing flying of circuits.
High Plains;

Appreciate the reply, but this thread was not about comparing either type of flying or which is better, PROs or CONs; I justed wanted to know if any clubs implement any sort of Flying or Field rules to address any possible problems with mixed types or flying; and from the replys I can see that the few clubs don't have actual rules or guidlines just some mutual common sense and cooperation.

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:20 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

We do what most others do, just take turns.

I wouldn't want someone 3D'ing in front of my face if I were buddy boxing a student. But I wouldn't initiate a flight that I knew was going to be doing touch and go's with a student if someone was out there flying 3D till they were done.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:20 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

There are no rules about 3D vs "Normal" flying at my club. Instead we just talk to each other. If a 3D plane is over the runway, and a "normal" flyer wants to land or make a pass down the runway, he simply says so and the 3D pilots move their planes out of the way until the "normal" plane has passed. This method has been working fine for over 10 years.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:28 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

The only rule we have is "don't be a jerk". It works in almost all cases.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:35 AM
bikerbc

We are lucky ,our club doesn't have any 3 D'ers but we always respect each others space . If somebody needs extra space we keep out of his way , this sort of thing . We don't allow helicopters but if one shows up we let it fly . Just not all day long . Maybe several times a day . 3 Ders do show up at club events and it is a treat to watch them perform for a while so we stay out of the air for them and let them have their fun too . It is a lot more fun if every body gets along . You don't need rules ,just common sense .