Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Retract Servo Used For Aux System

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Retract Servo Used For Aux System

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 03:26 AM
mduslick
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retract Servo Used For Aux System

Can someone help me with something that has been tripping me up please?

I have a Futaba 7-channel computer radio and on a new project here is how I plan to use the channels:

1) first four will be standard setup... throttle, rudder, aileron, and elevator... nothing out of the ordinary.

2) channel 5 will be used for the retracts (I'll be using electric retracts instead of pneumatic or mechanical)

3) channel 6 (the rotary knob) will be used for the flaps

4) which leave me one last channel (a two position toggle switch) to use. I want to use this one to actuate a separate retract servo... I want this servo to rotate 180 degrees (or whatever the travel is) to both pull a pin (which will release a door) and simultaneously rotate a cam (to release a plunger) as soon as the switch is flipped.

I guess this a long, drawn out way of asking, can a retract servo be used on a different channel other the channel normally reserved for retract operation?
Old 01-31-2014, 06:21 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=mduslick;:

I guess this a long, drawn out way of asking, can a retract servo be used on a different channel other the channel normally reserved for retract operation?[/QUOTE]

Sure a mechanical retract servo does not care what channel its plugged into. Do remember a retract servo is not proportional it will always once its triggered seek to travel its full throw. End point adjustments will not work.

I hate mystery questions like this so what are these two functions you are using the retract servo for??

John
Old 01-31-2014, 07:45 AM
mduslick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill ya...lol. (couldn't resist)

It's for a drogue parachute system I'm developing. The retract will pull a pin which will release the spring loaded tail cone at the rear of the fuselage (the cone will flip up and out of the way. A second linkage on the servo will rotate a small cam which will relase a quick release mechanism holding a spring loaded plunger... this will eject the parachute out the rear of the plane a second later after the tail cone has flipped up out of the way.

There were will also be third system, but it will not be tied to the above mentioned retract servo... it will be tied to the throttle servo and will be used as an emergency release in case the chute accidentally gets deployed during flight. As long as the the throttle is at 1/2 position or below, a retaining pin will be inserted into the chute cord anchor, but any time the throttle is advanced to any position above half throttle, the pin will be retracted out of the chute anchor housing relasing the chute... simply put... I'm flying the pattern... Murphy's Law kicks in... the chute is somehow deployed in flight... all I have to do is bump the throttle up to full (if I'm not there already) and the chute cord is released from the plane altogether.

I know this sounds like a complicated system will "many" points of failure, and the original design had a lot of flaws, but I keep redesigning and redesigning, making it simpler each time until I come up with a system that is extremely simplem and highly functional... proud to say I'm almost there!

Thanks for your help my friend.

P.S. I know this question may be asked too... it's for a SU-27 Flanker.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:08 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup definitely complicated and a heck of a way to slam on the brakes or get out of a spin Thanks.

John