Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

black wire/ need a radio plug

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

black wire/ need a radio plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 05:51 PM
proplock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default black wire/ need a radio plug

HI ,all, getting back into some rc, bad batt. pack in a vintage Aristo Craft/Hitec radio, built a new pack, discovered black wire problem, will not take any solder, no problem replacing wire but need a 2 pin plug in transmitter, any suggestions? plug is cambered on 2 corners, small white, could I remove wires out of present plug, and how?? TIA.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:35 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bet if you called Hitec they could help, Sounds like their standard plug? I have had "Black-wire" problems on my Bobcat loader. Took several trips from the Dealership to my home and about $1400.00 to find and fix the problem. The ground wire was Black when opened up even after no swelling or corrosion was observed. Screwed up the messages to the computer on the machine and would not start, gave false messages, etc.. If you find any signs of this remove and replace any wiring you suspect. It may bite you hard if you don't........
Old 06-02-2014, 06:19 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is an explanation of black wire, one of the best I've seen.
www:barbadosrc.org/misc/blackwire.php
Old 06-02-2014, 08:37 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

proplock
- Since it sounds like you're new, I'm going to ask how old this radio is and how trustworthy you feel the source is you got it from. Radio do age and wear out, and I'd hate to see you lose your trainer because of it. Also, are you planning to get with a club and work with an instructor?
Old 06-02-2014, 09:49 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ditto to What Jester said and there is another problem. The old Challenger AristoCraft that is pre 1991 and on the 72 Mhz band is I beleve wideband, actually very wide band and therefore is illegal to use to use in the US. Do yourself a favor smash it or place on the mantle as a museum piece, the Challengers had a horrible reputation even when they were current stuff.

John
Old 06-02-2014, 11:14 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I wondered about the age of the radio myself but I didn't bring it up because I don't know much about the older stuff. But I'll agree- if the radio is pre 1991 there is no reason whatsoever to try and use it. Radios have improved so much since then that it only makes good sense to start with something you can trust.