Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Several questions glow plugs?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Several questions glow plugs?

Old 07-26-2014, 12:28 PM
gregoryshock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Several questions glow plugs?

It seems that all of my OS Engines run the best with an OS Number 6 Hot Glow Plug. Before I switched to the number 6 hot plug, I was running the fox long plug with idle bar. I don't know why I could run my OS .40 ABC Max for years with the fox long plug with idle bar, and now I've had the best luck with the number 6 short plug without idle bar on my .61s FX, and the .46 AX. I think I want to retry the fox long plug with idle bar in these engines. Is it safe to put a long plug in these engines?

I'm not complaining, but I don't understand why OS charges so much money for their glow plugs. And I don't understand how come fox doesn't make a hot, medium, and cold plug? Are there any other manufactures that make glow plugs?
Old 07-26-2014, 12:45 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

The two engines mentioned will be fine with a long reach plug. I myself have had great success with those two engines running the OS# 8 plug. Personally I would never entertain using an idle bar plug let alone a Fox plug. Yes the OS plugs are more expensive but as long as you don't have any lean runs they last much longer. My experience with Fox plugs is that they are half the price but you end up changing them 3 times more often.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:36 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Yep, the OS #8 was designed to be used in those size engines, and it works very well. If you switch, I'd expect to see more top end power with a more sensitive idle mix.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:27 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Greg the glow bar type glow plug is actually a throw back to many years ago now when the design of our two stroke model engines were simpler in design. The top of the single transfer port exited the cylinder directly across from the exhaust port but in the way was a deflector or dam on top of the otherwise flat piston top.

The idea was to deflect the incoming charge up and in a loop fashion into the combustion chamber. I suppose that's why they called it loop scavenging. The down side was and keep in mind this was when the RC carbs were really something new on the block, that this fresh charge aimed directly at the glow plug tended to quench the fire during low throttle conditions. Well this glow bar over the coil of the glow plug actually was a pretty good fix for this problem at the time. Now fast forward about thirty five years at least and I cannot think of a single engine any more that uses this loop scavenging and the glow bar plug is quite redundant.

The A6 is the same as the older A3's and quite hot I use those for my smaller engines and the 25/35 AX's for my larger AX,'s ( .55, .65. .75 and .95 ) I also prefer the #8.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 07-26-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:50 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have found the Fox Mirical plug to be a very good plug for most engines. I use them exclusivly in my 4 strokes (Satoe's, OS's, Webra's) with excellent results. They work well in my 2 strokes as well and last as long as any of the other brands of plugs do.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:58 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i bought my Fox 74 several years ago Fox gave me a full card of their standard RC long plugs. I love the 74 and I don't mean to bash Fox, but I have not found the plugs to run well in any of my engines, not even in the 74. I'll have to try their Miracle Plug.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:08 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

OS Type F in everything.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:49 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you John for that info. I was always told the idle bar plugs were for engines that were worn and it helped to keep down fouling.
I started using the miracle plug a couple years back when the OS type F became too expensive and have been quite happy with them. Hanger 9, Horizon also has a very good plug. When I find a card of the OS type Fs at a swap meet I do scoop them up right away.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:03 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You pay according to the amount of platinum found in the element wire. This is the reason OS and Enya are more expensive than others. Word of caution the Chinese are making clones of OS plugs.