Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Low cost gas can

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Low cost gas can

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 11:19 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Low cost gas can

I have been looking for a plain old gas can cap, No one sells them any more! They all have a nozzle now with a punchout in the cap that is not sealed at all. Right now I have my gas in a Glow bottle with the pump attached to the cap. It works OK but I can't leave it in the car for more than the trip to the field or the whole car stinks from it.

What else could I use that doesn't cost a small fortune? All the ones I see are like $60.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:15 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to a good hardware store and find the gas can you're looking for. Then attach your pump and get a glow fuel cap adapter.
It may take driving over town to find your gas can . I found mine at harbor freight
Old 09-17-2014, 07:25 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take your can to lowes or homedepot and get a gas cap for a lawn mower many of them fit the cans. More stupid govt intrussion.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:53 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by raptureboy
Take your can to lowes or homedepot and get a gas cap for a lawn mower many of them fit the cans. More stupid govt intrussion.
The lawn mower gas caps have a concave shape on top which makes it near impossible to get a good seal around the pump fitting. A cap for a weed trimmer is much better, as it is slightly convex and has a much more useful center section which can be more accurately drilled out. I have used both.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:27 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Try midwestcan.com. I bought 2 of their model 2300 cans and it came with a solid cap. I did not realize that until I tried to us them. Fortunately I had another can with the spout and it fit the 2 cans. I ran out of diesel on I-10. That is a no no for diesels. I was towing a Jeep on a lowboy trailer. That was an interesting day.

Anyway, they may sell the solid caps.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:52 PM
acdii

Yeah been looking all over for those old school caps. Too bad I cant find an old steel can instead.

On a side nite, must remember to secure the filter on the end of the fuel line prior to using it. They are quite difficult to retrieve from the bottom of the bottle.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:26 PM
jetmech05

My filter is outside my fuel can
Old 09-18-2014, 03:06 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of different styles.colors of caps here:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...n+cap&_sacat=0
Old 09-19-2014, 05:21 AM
Jason Gross

Could you look around and find an empty metal can like denatured alcohol or paint thinner comes in? I have an OLD can of boiled linseed oil in the garage that my Grandpa bought (probably before I was born) that I keep eyeballing for a fuel can simply because it's got a big metal cap that would be good for soldering supply and vent tubes through. Maybe you could buy a new one empty from a paint store?
Old 09-19-2014, 06:14 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats pretty sad that we have to bid on gas cans to get an old style lid I saw a news report on how lawyers drove Blitz out of business by sueing them all time when people would do stupid things like pouring gas onto a fire right from the can. They blame the manufacturer for the actions of idiots. Have you seen the price of a 5 gal can now? I used to buy them all the time for $10 and now they are $35 or more and we have to deal with the stupid spouts they make. Buy a gal of denatured alcohol and transfer it to a plastic gal jug.
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Lots of different styles.colors of caps here:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...n+cap&_sacat=0
Old 09-19-2014, 06:48 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raptureboy
Thats pretty sad that we have to bid on gas cans to get an old style lid I saw a news report on how lawyers drove Blitz out of business by sueing them all time when people would do stupid things like pouring gas onto a fire right from the can. They blame the manufacturer for the actions of idiots. Have you seen the price of a 5 gal can now? I used to buy them all the time for $10 and now they are $35 or more and we have to deal with the stupid spouts they make. Buy a gal of denatured alcohol and transfer it to a plastic gal jug.
Yes it is. Thanks to the tree-huggers and the gov for screwing-up something as simple as a gas can. Evey time I see a good old style can or jug at a flea market ,estate sale, or auction I buy them. These save-the-world jugs are terrible !
Old 09-19-2014, 10:10 AM
acdii

100% Agreed! The only thing about using a non gas metal can is the vent, however, with the nipples soldered to the cap, that should suffice for venting. I happen to have some lacquer thinner cans I can use, just spray then red, and good to go.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:29 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

www.sportsmanguide.com sells old fashioned new jerry cans. I bought one for my lawn mower gas because I got tired of the EPA can I had. They cost around 25 bucks for the 5.4 gallon one. I believe they have smaller ones also. They are air tight with a rubber seal.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:29 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Fortunately I saw the change coming for gas cans. I went and bought a bunch of the good gas and diesel cans. I buy farm diesel and non ethanol gas all the time. These latest cans are the spill proof type and a pain to use. I will probably garage sale them if there is a buyer.

I'm building a gasser so I have to give some thought to a field can too. I have been looking at my cans to see what may be suitable.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:22 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I only have two gas powered planes at this time so don't require a lot of gas when flying. I just went to Lowe's and bought the products needed at that time and when empty used them for gas cans. I always shop around and find the cans with the big lids though and hang onto them. I have extra lids and used the kit to convert a lid for fueling and leave it set up with the pump attached. The kits used to be sold through Tower and my LHS still stocks them. When the fuel line is attached into it's slot it doesn't leak but if I'm traveling I often just remove the pump and cap and put on a solid cap. These all come with the plastic outer ring and I just removed it to make room for the fueler kit. I leave the foil faced gasket installed when I instill the kit and it doesn't leak. I used to use a lot of items like alcohol and acetone and bought it in gallon cans.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014_0904gascans0001.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	2033699   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014_0904gascans0002.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	2033700  
Old 12-09-2014, 09:34 AM
Roo Man
My Feedback: (1)

They now make an insert that goes in the neck of the can and you use the cans cap/ring to hold in place. Look on some of the gas engine dealers web sites as I don't remember where I saw them.

Gary