Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Getting back into RC after three year hiatus. Need help with a Futaba 10J set up.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Getting back into RC after three year hiatus. Need help with a Futaba 10J set up.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Flyboywbl

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Getting back into RC after three year hiatus. Need help with a Futaba 10J set up.

Hello,

I moved to NYC three years ago, into a 600 sq ft apartment. I had to sell/donate all my RC gear totaling some 15 airplanes and 3 heli's. Now I'm moving back home to MN where I'll have a 3 car garage!!!! I have not even moved yet and I have already ordered the Great Planes Citabria Giant ARF as my first plane to build. I used to own a full sized 7GCBC back in the day so when I saw an add for this ARF, I had to build one!

So I ordered the plane, dle 35 along with 7 Futaba S3305 servos for the control surfaces along with two S3003 standards for the throttle and choke. I also plan on installing the DLE kill switch. So if I do the math right, that's 9 servos and one kill switch, so ten channels total. Again, I have been out of the hobby for three years so there is a lot of new stuff out there. I was thinking of going with a Futaba 10J radio with the S.bus system. I also like the telemetry idea so you can see your rx voltage! When I got out of the hobby, I had a 9C with a 2.4 spectrum module. I've always had Futaba so I want to stick with them.

The 10J does not come with a 10 channel rx, so I will have to use the S.bus to set this up. My question is, using analog servos and a decoder, can I set this aircraft up with this radio without Y-harness' on the flaps and Alerons? I was reading through the 10J manual and it did not see, like I could. I'm just a little confused on the setup. There are S.bus, hubs, transformers and decoder's so I'm a little confused on what all I need to purchase for this plane. I guess the end goal would be to not have to plug in 4 leads from the wing every time I set it up at the field. I also like the redundancy of having each control surface on a separate channel.

The largest plane I ever built was a four*120 with a gas engine but I did it super simple with a y harness on the ailerons. This new plane is pretty complex for me, in terms of radio set up.

I also got out of the hobby using NiCd rx packs. Now there are NiMh and LiFi packs. I'm not sure what to get or what size. The S3305 servo manual says do not use NiMh batteries.

I was was also wondering what battery I should get for the ignition?

I need a shopping list! I signed up for the TH super saver membership for free shipping so I'll order all this stuff through them.

thanks for the help!

-Matt