Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Film Covering ?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Film Covering ?

Old 09-24-2014, 08:19 AM
Ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Film Covering ?

How many rolls of Ultracote would it take to cover a Telemaster 40 plane ? This is the 73" span version.

Ed
Old 09-24-2014, 04:02 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Been a long time and mine was the sr. but I think it was 4 rolls. I have switched over to the Chinakote covering from Hobby King and these rolls come in 15 meter rolls for a lot less money then Mono or Ultra. I was able to cover a big 90 inch plane with a huge cord with one roll then used Mono for the trim color.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:18 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I tried HobbyKing covering on a Midwest Extra 300 which also is a huge wing chord and it is amazing how well it worked or how easy it was for me to work. It was white and I have not tried any other color from HobbyKing so I can't say how other colors work. I think one roll of this stuff would work on your 73" Telemaster as it comes in 15 meter rolls as Gene stated. I bought three rolls and they sent it to me all in one roll, which came out to about fifty feet. I was more than happy with it. I am guessing Value Hobby is selling the same thing as HobbyKing is, but that is just a guess. I say that because the call it Neucover and it also comes in 15 meter rolls.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:58 PM
Gray Beard

I used the yellow and liked it better then Ultra. Like Ultra it doesn't sag and wrinkle in the hot sun like Mono and it is really easy to work with. I just ordered another roll of yellow from the US warehouse. One thing I noticed was they don't use a center cadrboard roll, it's like they tried to see how small and tight they could get the rolls. Big deal, it's just something I noticed is all. Must come in one huge roll and they make up smaller rolls. 15 meters for about 10 or 11 bucks, can't beat that deal with a stick. Good stuff. I covered the base color of the Prime Cut with one roll.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:22 PM
Ed

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
I used the yellow and liked it better then Ultra. Like Ultra it doesn't sag and wrinkle in the hot sun like Mono and it is really easy to work with. I just ordered another roll of yellow from the US warehouse. One thing I noticed was they don't use a center cadrboard roll, it's like they tried to see how small and tight they could get the rolls. Big deal, it's just something I noticed is all. Must come in one huge roll and they make up smaller rolls. 15 meters for about 10 or 11 bucks, can't beat that deal with a stick. Good stuff. I covered the base color of the Prime Cut with one roll.
I'm seeing 5 meters ( 16 ft ) from HK for $ 9.80 ? Is that the same stuff. 5 meters, not 15 meters ?

And also " I just ordered another roll of yellow from the US warehouse. " You said that you just ordered another roll of yellow. What's the shipping cost on a single roll like that from HK USA ? ? ?

Last edited by Ed; 09-24-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:28 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ed my best estimate and what I would order if it were mine assuming standard six and a half foot rolls of UltraCote two and one half to three rolls. This also depends on what colors you are working with since the design and layout of various colors tends to increase the amount of left over skin

Your airplanes span and chord is not much more that a typical forty sized trainer but the span and area of the stab is considerably more.

John
Old 09-26-2014, 05:53 PM
Gray Beard

Your right it is 5 meters, my brain fart.I was thinking feet and I just think of a meter as 3 feet when I'm watching a sporting event. Shipping was only a couple of bucks. It shows up when you order the covering and if you don't like the cost then just click out of the order. I'm going off the top of my head but I think it was a total of 13 bucks and some change from the US warehouse.
Originally Posted by Ed
I'm seeing 5 meters ( 16 ft ) from HK for $ 9.80 ? Is that the same stuff. 5 meters, not 15 meters ?

And also " I just ordered another roll of yellow from the US warehouse. " You said that you just ordered another roll of yellow. What's the shipping cost on a single roll like that from HK USA ? ? ?