Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

smoke tanks

Old 10-26-2014, 07:11 AM
cotman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke tanks

You guys answered my last question on solartex so well, I知 going to ask another one. I want to put smoke in the plane I知 building now. I知 going to use 16oz. round tanks (round because they fit nicely next to one an other in the fuse). Can these tanks be mounted side by side or should they by one on top of the other. My reason for asking is if side by side and I don稚 use smoke, will this throw the CG off enough to effect the plane. Thanks again for any help
Old 10-26-2014, 07:59 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cotman,

I think the short answer is either config will work fine and have the same impact on balance.

The only effect of side by side vs on top of each other is the lateral balance as either configuration will affect the fore/aft CG exactly the same. And the side by side configuration shouldn't have any significant effect on the lateral balance. The tanks will be so close to the center line of the fuse they are going to have very little impact on the lateral balance in either configuration regardless of whether or not the smoke tank is full.

As far as affecting the fore/aft CG, it kind of depends on how big/heavy the plane is and how far in front of the CG the tanks are. My 35% Carden Extra doesn't seem to know the difference if I have the smoke tank filled or not and its 32 oz and pretty far forward of the CG.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use pumped engines, YS in glow and gas engines are pumpers so when I build I install the tanks centered over the CG so nothing ever really changes during flight when a tank is drained. Just a habit I got into when I have the room to do it.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:10 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This showed up at our field yesterday....notice the two tanks, one for gas, the other for smoke.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P8020020.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	777.9 KB
ID:	2042338