Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Throttle Hold / Throttle Cut

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Throttle Hold / Throttle Cut

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 08:45 PM
go_hercules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Hold / Throttle Cut

What is throttle hold, and what is throttle cut? I hear references to helicopters when talking about throttle hold - is it used on airplanes as well? I fly nitro currently but just bought my first electric plane and my first 2.4 radio (DX8) so I am trying to make sense of (and the difference in) these two things. Thanks a lot.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:38 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Throttle Hold is indeed a Heli function. I don't believe any transmitter offers this function when set up in airplane mode. Throttle Cut on the other hand is an airplane function found on most transmitters. It is a switched function and when enabled, it reduces your throttle setting to some pre-defined percentage below your normal low throttle stick setting, thereby killing the engine. For an electric, its not needed to kill the engine as the low throttle stick position already has the motor not spinning.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:24 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Yes, throttle hold is a Heli function that locks the throttle into an idle for doing autorotation landings. A throttle cut is useful on airplanes for a couple reasons. For a gasser you would have a flight position and a landing position that would be set to a lower idle. I use throttle cut on my pylon airplanes so that when I know I am correctly set up for a landing I can shut the engine down with a click of a switch. I don't see the usefulness on an electric modle however.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:23 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Throttle hold on an electric plane at least can save you some props and at best save you a trip to the ER.

If you enable throttle hold, and bump the throttle stick while handing or carrying an electric plane the motor won't come alive and mangle itself or you.

All my electric stuff.

Transmitter on. Throttle hold engaged.
Connect battery in the airplane.
Restrain plane safely
Test throttle is dead.
Carry plane to taxiway.
Turn off throttle hold and fly.
After taxing back, engage throttle hold and test.
Disarm the plane.
Turn off the transmitter.

Throttle kill is as described, a way to shut down a nitro or gas motor by pulling the carb fully closed.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:43 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Good point Andy. Had you been around I may not have an E prop scar on my arm LOL.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:16 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

I'm living proof lol