Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What type of aluminum?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What type of aluminum?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 03:18 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I must be confused. Isn't vacuum simply removing atmospheric pressure? If it is then to the best of my knowledge the best one can accomplish is about 30" at sea level and it decreases the higher your altitude. Unless it's some sort of autoclave and then it works on pressure.
Hello Shaun,

You and I have both been utilizing vacuum pumps for many years designed to pull as close to 30 hg as possible rendering us around 14.7 psi. at sea level. We both know this works great for many oven cured pre-preg systems, but there are cases when we must use an autoclave for processing per the manufacturers material specification. In those cases we generally vent our bags to atmosphere once pressure has been placed on the exterior of the sealed bag within the autoclave, in most all cases we place two or three atmospheres of pressure on the exterior of the bag throughout the processing depending on the pre-preg manufactures specifications. So no buddy you are not confused, as I have not been confused about utilization of 6061-T6 as one of the best suitable choices of alloy for bending in this part of the country anyway...

Bob
Old 12-21-2014, 06:59 AM
toolmaker7341

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sensei you have no clue what your talking about. These units are for freeze drying pharmaceuticals which are way more critical that your "aerospace" composites and an autoclave is for heat and these units run at 270 below zero. It really twists your n*ts that your "aerospace" will only get you a short distance in the world of knowledge. I know what kind of person you are but you have no clue who I am or what I do. I love teasing know-it-alls. Your up.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:23 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by toolmaker7341
Sensei you have no clue what your talking about. These units are for freeze drying pharmaceuticals which are way more critical that your "aerospace" composites and an autoclave is for heat and these units run at 270 below zero. It really twists your n*ts that your "aerospace" will only get you a short distance in the world of knowledge. I know what kind of person you are but you have no clue who I am or what I do. I love teasing know-it-alls. Your up.

Mike, My last post was more of a question, I would still like to know how you are able to pull 100 HG of vacuum. Don't quite see the answer here.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:22 AM
toolmaker7341

The vacuum pumps for this unit are twice as big as the box pictured. The box is on one floor and all the vacuum equipment is on a lower floor. It takes several days for this to drawn to or near 100HG. They have a tolerance but I don't know what it is. If these units spring a leak aprox. $ 7,000,000.00 of product is ruined. Anymore questions let me know and I'll be happy to answer if it doesn't need to be too technical as we have confidentiality agreements with our customers. These unit are shipped around the world
Old 12-21-2014, 01:15 PM
sensei

Mike, My last post was more of a question, I would still like to know how you are able to pull 100 HG of vacuum. Don't quite see the answer here.
Shaun,

You and I know that he is dancing around the answer because he doesn't know. I gave the straight scoop on how you and I use vacuum and pressure in the aerospace composites field and he told me on line that I don't know what I am talking about, and you and I know better. He is only here as a troll because if you look back through this thread, he has only entered for the sake of sarcasm and argument, nothing more, he has not provided a single useful thing to this thread.

Bob
Old 12-21-2014, 02:25 PM
Lone Star Charles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That big stainless box that doesn't fly is a freeze-drying chamber that runs @ 100" vacuum and -270 F
I suspect that he means microns, not inches of mercury. A very common mistake (not). Just ignore the other comments.

Reminds me of the Pace Picante advertisements that run here in Texas. - "NEW YORK CITY! Git a rope."
Old 12-21-2014, 03:47 PM
toolmaker7341

Originally Posted by sensei
Shaun,

You and I know that he is dancing around the answer because he doesn't know. I gave the straight scoop on how you and I use vacuum and pressure in the aerospace composites field and he told me on line that I don't know what I am talking about, and you and I know better. He is only here as a troll because if you look back through this thread, he has only entered for the sake of sarcasm and argument, nothing more, he has not provided a single useful thing to this thread.

Bob
You can't read I said you have no clue as to what my business is about your trying to put your aerospace composite knowledge to a field that you know nothing about.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:54 PM
toolmaker7341

Originally Posted by Lone Star Charles
I suspect that he means microns, not inches of mercury. A very common mistake (not). Just ignore the other comments.

Reminds me of the Pace Picante advertisements that run here in Texas. - "NEW YORK CITY! Git a rope."
Microns are a unit of measure like Millimeters but much smaller. You 2 give Texas residents a bad name. And by the way you need to brush up on your geography Lockport is as far from New York City as you can get and I like it that way.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:28 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

At this point Robert got the help he needed and I for one am proud to have contributed to his awesome Pitts build. I'm happy to leave this thread on that positive note.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:48 PM
acerc

At this point Robert got the help he needed and I for one am proud to have contributed to his awesome Pitts build. I'm happy to leave this thread on that positive note.
Thank you. I would have closed it but RCU does not have that function.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:08 PM
sensei

Sensei you have no clue what your talking about. These units are for freeze drying pharmaceuticals which are way more critical that your "aerospace" composites and an autoclave is for heat and these units run at 270 below zero. It really twists your nuts that your "aerospace" will only get you a short distance in the world of knowledge. I know what kind of person you are but you have no clue who I am or what I do. I love teasing know-it-alls. Your up.
I never tried to place my aerospace composite knowledge in your field of expertise whatever that is, and in case you have not noticed Robert asked for help regarding his biplane, and not once did you offer to help in all your postings, you only offered sarcasm and argument from your very first post, anyway the last time I looked this was still a model airplane forum so from the beginning I have been talking throughout this entire thread about things that have purpose in model airplane construction applications and aircraft sheet metal and composites fills this bill. End of story.

By the way before you jump on your high horse of loving to tease us know-it-alls in aviation you should know what your talking about by possessing a full understanding of your subjects matter. So I will try to explain, an autoclaves primary purpose is possessing the ability to apply pressure within the vessel not heat as you have misstated above in bold, you can heat them, but as a secondary function to their primary intent. The fact is there are many autoclaves designed and manufactured without provisions for the application of heat, meaning they are pressure only vessels. We sometimes consolidate tooling layups without the application of heat just pressure only, it all just depends on what your applications are. Anyway I am thinking if you have the true facts to print on a subject matter it will add some validity to your next rant of of superiority while running someone down for simply trying to help a fellow enthusiast out.

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 12-22-2014 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:49 AM
Lone Star Charles

This sad little lizard told me that he was a brontosaurus on his mother's side. I did not laugh; people who boast of ancestry often have little else to sustain them. Humoring them costs nothing and adds happiness in a world in which happiness is always in short supply.
-- Lazarus Long