Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

When you Balance a model with retracts do you Balance with them up or down?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

When you Balance a model with retracts do you Balance with them up or down?

Old 12-20-2014, 12:05 PM
gregoryshock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When you Balance a model with retracts do you Balance with them up or down?

This is the first time I've built a model with retracts. When you Balance on the CG Do you Balance with the Landing gear up or down?
Old 12-20-2014, 07:02 PM
binns aero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Greg, it does't effect front to back,just left to right if your gear is diff. weight (L/R) that should be minor.It's within trim limits,like a full or low fuel level in your tank (nose tank)
Old 12-21-2014, 04:56 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That can also depend on what plane you are building. If it is a Corsair or P-40, the plane is balanced with the gear up as you are moving weight to the back side of the CG when the gear is retracted. If the gear is on the front side of the CG and stays there when retracted, I would balance with the wheels up. You need to make sure that your gear is not moving behind the CG when retracted, if it is, it must be balanced with gear up. Just make sure your plane does not change to tail heavy when you gear goes up and you will be fine. Good Luck, Dave
Old 12-24-2014, 05:19 PM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My P47 was balanced gear up
Old 12-24-2014, 11:04 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not do both? Both are realities. Neither one is a silver bullet. Get the cg close and go fly it, then you decide where you want your cg to be.

Kurt