Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Electric H9 Fueler/Defueler Signal Interference

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Electric H9 Fueler/Defueler Signal Interference

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Sportsman550

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric H9 Fueler/Defueler Signal Interference

This will be a good one, I don't see anything related to this specific squawk in any other forums, but apologies if this turns out to be a duplicate. While defueling my aircraft today, one of our club members lost his aircraft due to a "signal failure". He lost control of the aircraft and it ended up taking a dirt nap. My question is this. Right after the incident occurred, he confronted me and asked what the noise was coming from my flight stand. I told him it was my electric fuel pump. He immediately said he lost control as soon as I turned on the pump. He's using Spektrum radio gear with quality components. He's also a retired electrical engineer. He stated that he was receiving interference from my pump????? How can that be possible? DC voltage vs 2.4ghz DSM frequency................comments anyone......plz.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:48 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

The guy is crazy,, avoid him
Old 01-08-2015, 01:22 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You know it truly amazes me the lengths some folks will go to in trying to blame everything that goes wrong on anybody or anything but themselves. He needs to look within, although I doubt he will. Oh and the last thing I want around when I a experimenting with new airplane is a aerodynamics engineer or doing a simple radio install and packaging I can live without the electronics engineers!

This situation is exactly one of the freedoms that came along with 2.4 . The first of course was freedom from the tyranny of the frequency board and the second was the constant and subtle implications and accusations of flying with a dirty radio that people like this are always gong to imply.

he is not your friend and like 'Scale' said stay away from him.

John
Old 01-08-2015, 02:38 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...h-your-gadgets Read the article and anything is possible.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:33 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry no time for your article as I need to prepare a couple of airplanes for tomorrow morning and since I am not an RF engineer unlikely to understand anyway. Don,t worry I have no electric pumps in my kit.

Anything possible? sure no dispute there, The problem is rude people all to willing to snap to irrational judgment of other nearby people.

Hmm Dirty Transmitters, now its dirty electric pumps? whats next starters sure lets outlaw them too.

Yes simply my opinion

John
Old 01-08-2015, 03:45 PM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by flycatch
http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...h-your-gadgets Read the article and anything is possible.
Please!
Old 01-08-2015, 10:45 PM
Sportsman550

After all the field discussion resumed this morning and along with another Electronics engineer (yeah, we're lucky to have 2 of em in our club), it was decided to test my pump for "white noise" by placing my field box near a radio tuned to an AM station and run my pump to see if it created any interference. As I suspected there wasn't any static noise. While both of the engineers agreed that white noise is POSSIBLE from the small DC motor in my field box, they both concluded that maybe something with a little more "punch" is what really caused the issue. I felt like if this truly WAS an issue, then every time a spin starter is used, it could potentially cause interference, which to my knowledge has never happened. I'm calling BS on this can of worms!! I even called the Spectrum shop to see what they thought and was told that likelihood of interference from an electric fuel pump was next to impossible. This had to be no more than a lousy coincidence and a opportunity to place blame. Bummer he lost an aircraft. We'll put on our big boy pants and move on.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:24 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Poor pilots blame other for their mishaps. Good pilots accept the responsibility for them.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:02 AM
jetmech05

As an avionics guy. I'm calling BS on this as well. While there is no interference proof freq the possibility that your pumps brushless motor caused interference is nil. Trouble is since he blamed your pump he won't investagate the real cause of his crash.
Do you have a microwave in your club house? Did someone lock their car remotely?
Perhaps his battery voltage dropped and the brown out gremlin got him.
The gall it took to blame you is unbelievable. I hope you invited him to relieve himself up a rope
Old 01-09-2015, 07:29 AM
scale only 4 me

I think it was Ms. Jenkins in the farm house 1/2 mile down the road running her mix-master,,

please read post #2 again
Old 01-10-2015, 01:17 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why can't some pilots except there own errors. Dumb thumbs is usually the problem but loss of signal can be anything from a bad switch to a loose wire. An electric fuel pump?? Give me a break. One good reason for 2.4 is how much better it is for gas powered planes and blocking ignition and mag noise.
The term dumbass comes to mind here.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:33 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/dsm2flaw.shtml