Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Older sailplane with can motor

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Older sailplane with can motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 07:15 AM
JMCHASE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Older sailplane with can motor

I have an older sailplane been sitting for a while. Scratch built flew really well. I had stopped flying for several years due to a back problem recently i got back into it with all new equipment but would like to see her fly again. Since its a can motor and really difficult to remove what esc could i use to fly lithium. She weighed about 47 ounces with nicads. Speed 600 had a 4-7.5 prop?
Old 02-22-2015, 09:19 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

You probably don't need a different ESC if you're going to use the existing brushed motor (thats what I'm thinking you're referring to as a "can" motor" anyways... especially since you said you used nicads...) You didn't say how many cells your nicad packs were, but there should be a similar voltage lipo pack that would probably work fine.

Example would be if you ran a 7.2v nicad pack(6-cell)... you could easily put in a 2-cell lipo(7.4v... which would be a 2S1P pack).. If you even ran an 8.4v nicad(7 cell).. in that case, you could probably use a 3-cell lipo(11.1v.. 3S1P pack).. I did that and it worked fine.. It really boosted performance alot.. you'd have to nail down the prop size a bit closer, as well as the size motor to determine a decent battery upgrade.. as you wrote its a 47oz plane, using a 4-7.5 prop.. and that doesn't make alot of sense to me... as a 47oz plane in my mind is going to use a bit bigger of a prop.. either that or a plane that uses a 7.5" prop doesn't weigh 47 oz... so see if you can get some more info..

The type of motor you're using determines the ESC type.. not the power source...... the power source is a different entity... and with that said.. make sure you get a lipo with enough C-rating(resistance/output) that you don't burn it up.... and as well fry your brushed motor either.. Either way, your brushed motor will wear out faster with any lipo.. but put the right lipo in it, and you should get pretty good life out of your motor.. the biggest drawback on brushed motors(regardless of battery used).. is they wear out(actually the brushes within wear out).. I ran lipos on a few brushed planes for quite a while back in the day they first came out.. so its very doable.

With the info you gave, thats probably the best I can tell you.. its pretty general... but its a start. Good luck.

Last edited by DGrant; 02-22-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:10 PM
JMCHASE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your right gave info on a different plane. The one i will be repairing has no prop. The motor is a Goldberg 550 geared motor
i have since removed the motor and will replace it with a brushless the prop was probably in the 12-10 range.