Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What receiver should I use?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What receiver should I use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 09:51 AM
tkametz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What receiver should I use?

I'm getting ready to buy a new receiver for a Piper Tri-Pacer that I am building. I'm confused by the number of receiver options. When do you need a remote receiver? How about AS3X? Any suggestions?
Old 03-01-2015, 12:51 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Receivers are usually brand specific, if you have a Futaba transmitter, then a Futaba receiver, if a Spectrum, then a Spectrum receiver, a Tactic then a Tactic receiver etc. Once you determine the brand, then you have to settle on how many channels you need; usually 4 is the minimum but often 6 or 8 are handy. Sounds like you need to get with a local flyer for some good info.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:43 PM
tkametz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that, I use Spektrum, usually 4 channel. I was wondering about the need for remote receivers and AS3X?
Old 03-01-2015, 08:14 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Remote receivers on Spektrum gear is one of those grey area topics we've never really gotten a clear answer on. They were originally put on the market as a bandaid to Spektrum's terrible reliability record early in the 2.4ghz development. Now it's not clear if they are actually needed with the current equipment or not.

As for AS3X, no. You don't need it. The stability system is nice for the ultra micro planes and a lot of 3D planes to smooth out the effect of wind turbulence and give the plane a more connected feel, but on a plane like yours there will be very little benefit. It might keep you from needing to learn proper takeoff technique and would probably take away some of the wind corrections you have to make, but to me that takes away a lot of the entertainment value of owning a scale plane to begin with. If we wanted everything to fly like an Ugly Stick, why not just own a whole garage full of Ugly Sticks and keep things simple?