Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Using dope on Tiger Moth.

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Using dope on Tiger Moth.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:25 PM
piperjon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using dope on Tiger Moth.

Hi,

I just cannot remember what i did to cover the fuse years ago. Gee only the 60's.
Ok I have a 1/4 scale Tiger Moth and asking what to do here. I have used the cloth and dropped it on the Rudder and elevator. I was going to remove it but I thought that using MonoKote on the fuse. But my first was to paint the fuse and tail. Wings are in MonoKote iron on film.
So my question is do I also use the cloth with dope and do the fuse as well. Or just dope the balsa with no cloth??
The cloth is the right stuff to use as it comes up really nice. If I paint the fuse it will be the same colour as the iron on colour from MonoKote.

Thanks
John
Old 03-22-2015, 03:21 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

I would definitely NOT dope directly onto bare balsa. Nylon or silk will add significant strength, tissue will be lightest and need fewest coats of dope. If you can only find an open weave fabric tissue over the fabric works well.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:10 PM
piperjon

Hi,

I was thinking of using tissue before but I couldn't remember what I did before. Bloody old age hay.

Thank you for your help.
Jophn
Old 03-23-2015, 02:43 AM
sensei

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Double post, my bad...

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 03-23-2015 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:45 AM
sensei

I have personally had a very good outcome on everything I have ever doped a balsa wood structure on prior to covering with silk. I dope the structure twice allowing complete drying of each coat, then I lightly scuff all the surfaces that will come in contact with the silk prior to its application. sealing the structure with dope first allows me to lightly mist the silk with water so I can place it on the structure, pull it within reason tight while doping all the contacting surfaces and edges. I then allow everything to completely dry before I dope the open field areas, after that I give everything a second coat of dope before moving on to the finishing process. I have also covered with Dacron, I still dope the structure first but I don't need the use of water on the Dacron because once doped around the edges it tightens and stays tight very good with just a little heat from a heat gun or a iron.

Bob
Old 03-23-2015, 03:05 AM
piperjon

Hello Bob,

Ok once you have it all done, what do you do next to seal the cloth or silk. I don't know what the cloth is, but I am sure it is silk. So after you have done it all and move onto the finishing job of selling the cloth so you can paint. What do you use as I don't want lay to much primer (undercoat) on the fuse as it will make it heavy.

John
Old 03-23-2015, 04:21 AM
sensei

Dope doesn't weigh much so you can continue to add a couple more coats of dope sanding with 800 grit wet in between, or you can spray on Poly Spray from the Stits covering system line, still sanding with 600-800 grit wet, I have even used a high build euro primer over the cloth then sanding off almost all of it prior to topcoat. The safest way to keep it light is to dope twice Poly Spray twice and top coat.

http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraf...=prod&filter=0

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 03-23-2015 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:23 PM
piperjon

Hi Bob,

I'll see if that poly spray is in Australia. Maybe in surf board makers. If not I can use a pint primer which I'm sure there wold be some good primer for this job.
Thank you for your help.
Take care
John
Old 03-24-2015, 06:33 AM
jester_s1

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Just be sure the primer you use is compatible with the topcoat you are using. The classic way is to adhere the fabric with nitrate dope and fill with it also, then use colored butyrate dope as your paint. If this is a repair job, you may come out ahead stripping everything down back to bare balsa and starting over with known chemicals so you're sure it's all compatible.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:43 PM
piperjon

Hi guy's,

Well I'm still up in the air what to do. But feel I will use SIG Koverall and try and find the stuff SIG talk about SITCK-IT to brush that on first and let dry. then add the SIG Koverall cloth by using a heat iron that sticks the cloth to the balsa. Than I can spray it the yellow I want. I thing I will not have to use a under coat or may have too. My trouble is finding the SIG Stick-it in Australia.

Do you think this is the best way to go. This model is a old pilot 1/4 scale kit.

Cheers
John
Old 04-23-2015, 02:57 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

You don't need to use the SIG Stick-It. You can substitute Balsarite for Fabric or Stits Poly-Tak. All 3 will adhere any polyester type covering like SIG Coverall. I'm sure there are probably others as well that will work just as well as Stick-It
Old 04-23-2015, 03:12 PM
piperjon

Hay thanks for that info. The main trouble here in Australia is finding the right stuff to do the job. A company who use to stock all Sig produces is now closed down and the company who bought there old stock may now buy from SIG. I don't at this stage what the out come will be.

John
Old 04-24-2015, 05:47 AM
jester_s1

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

True, there are numerous products that will adhere the fabric, but Stix-it lets you iron it on. Polytac, dope, WBPU, and a few other options are brush on products. The end result will be the same, but if the OP wants to use the Stix-it method, he'll have to find a supplier for that product.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:59 PM
piperjon

Hi,

The trouble is finding that product (Stick-IT) here in Australia. A company that use to bring Sig items in has now close down. I have emailed SIG to find out if any other supplier in Australia also bring it in. I would like to stay with Stick-it as you say I can iron the cloth to the balsa after the stick-it has dried. That also will help to keep the wings nice and straight.
Soon I may know where I can get it which will be Monday my time as today is a holiday.
Thanks
John