Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

2.4 Glitch/Hit???

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

2.4 Glitch/Hit???

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 11:25 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2.4 Glitch/Hit???

Today I was at a small local field flying my Up-Roar, I converted my Futaba 9-C to 2.4 with the Hitec Module and using Hitec Receivers. This is a first, I was just putting along and the plane did two aileron rolls then speeded up, went to level and then I had complete control again?? The battery was at 7 volts so it wasn't a brown out but we had 12 U-Control guys there {that was fun!} and a couple of them also had a couple of RC planes.
My plane acted like someone else took over control, the rolls looked good and controlled and then the throttle came up and the plane went level then I had control again??
I have seen a lot of odd things happen with 2.4 over the years but this was really odd.
Can someone over ride 2.4 and take over flight of your plane??
Old 03-29-2015, 11:44 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Gene, Hitec does things a little different. I'm not sure about your system but on my A9 when it binds on default settings it stays on the selected 2.4 frequencies. You must go in and set the TX to frequency hop. It could be possible that your system does not frequency hop and a stray signal came in, there is a lot of military activity in your area. BTW, thanks for the 140. I did not realize it was a DZ. It fits the airplane perfectly. I will be getting together with Verano in a couple weeks, he may have a head in his used parts inventory and will bring it with him if he does.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:25 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

GB You have been using the Hitec components for some time now? There have been some updates several years back. If you had a HPP-22 interface you can update the module and you can update the seven and nine channel receivers yourself The six channel receivers are not home updatable. The six channel receivers must be returned to Hitec service if you do not have or cannot get a club member help you with his HPP-22 then you need to return the modules and the receivers.

I thijnk I have fity or so receicers but only 6 of the six channels units. I stopped buying the sixs when I realized they were not updatable.

I did sent those six channel ones of mine back and I do not remember much which is a good thing and its unlikely the charged me hardly anything for the updating.

John
Old 03-29-2015, 02:03 PM
Gray Beard

Well, you both know where I was flying and I'm about half a mile from the I-15 and Las Vegas Blvd is right behind me. I have both the Henderson airport and McClaren not that far away so it made me wonder. My electric plane has a 6ch Optima and it was acting funny but I think it's just dirty wires from the ESC to the motor? I had control of the plane but the motor would just stop opeating then it would come back on, did that a couple times, just thought the pack had gone down?
The Up-Roar has a 6ch Minma, They are AFHSS.
When I got the Minima it didn't work with the module and I knew Hitec had new firmware that would be installed for free but a buddy had it at home so I sent it to him and the Minima has worked just fine ever sense. I haven't had any problems at the lake bed with them.
I tried the FrSky RX with my system and it didn't work so I do suspect my module should go to Hitec for the firmware upgrade. Other guys are using the FrSky with good results using the same set up as me, I'm the only odd man out?
I will send my module into Hitec for the firmware upgrade.
Knowing nothing about the 2.4 I don't even know what the HPP-22 is. I have the 7 and 9 in other planes. All is fine but the field I was at today may have a secret??
Shawn, I thought I said DZ?? It's not the sport/FZ model. One of the lifter tubes got lost when I had a friend with better allen wrenches remove some screws for me.
It's a high dollar engine but I have no need or any money to do the repairs on it. As I recall it was about 200 bucks worth of parts needed and the 140 doesn't seem to be in a lot of use in pattern these days.
I still have the back plate but it is in several pieces. None of the parts do me any good either, my biggest YS is the 120. I did have the 140 sport for a while. Nice engine!! That pump is a mystery to me too, I really am old school, the FZ was a big move into the future for me!!
Old 03-29-2015, 03:05 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Gene, if you want to play with an HP-22 to update your module let me know. I would be more then happy to send mine to you for a week or two. Real simple to do, it plugs into the USB port on your PC and then you go to the Hitec site and follow the directions. On the 140 there is no lifter tube on one side, the pump takes its place and is activated by the pushrod motion. Very clever design.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:19 PM
JohnBuckner

Gene you need to update your module. Either send it in or consider SRT's generous offer of a loan to do your own. As he noted its pretty simple to do and if you look closely at your module there is a tiny black rectangular sticker that covers up the hole where you plug in a standard servo plug patch cord that comes with the HPP-22.

John
Old 03-29-2015, 06:15 PM
Gray Beard

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Gene, if you want to play with an HP-22 to update your module let me know. I would be more then happy to send mine to you for a week or two. Real simple to do, it plugs into the USB port on your PC and then you go to the Hitec site and follow the directions. On the 140 there is no lifter tube on one side, the pump takes its place and is activated by the pushrod motion. Very clever design.
Thanks Shawn, I may try that, Cliff already did it for me but maybe there was more to it or needed?? May even get the FrSky RX to work correctly?? I seem to remember that lifter part of the pump, it has been over a year sense I even looked at that engine or in the book. I have never had a DZ for myself, I would rather buy a new car!!
From what I understand they are an improvement over the FZ but I will never compete again so won't spend that kind of money for an engine. Most people thought I was nuts using YS as a sports pilot but I have several of them. Once in tune I have never had a dead stick, took me 15 years to break one but it had a lot of hours on it. Wore out most my OS four strokes and they needed to be rebuilt.
I'll get with you on the HP. Maybe there was another upgrade on it at some point that wasn't in my friends??

Last edited by Gray Beard; 03-29-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:50 PM
52larry52

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

G.B., are you any where close to "Area 51"? That may be why something took over control of your plane!
Old 03-30-2015, 06:06 AM
Gray Beard

Maybe?? As I understand it they have a cloak of invisibility over that base. Whoever was flying my plane was doing a much better job of it then I was, that was hard to take!!!
Old 03-30-2015, 07:19 AM
oliveDrab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my Aurora 9 two years ago and I fly 10 planes with it, using Optima 6's, 7's and 9's which I've purchased within the last 18 months. I've had no problems whatsoever that I know of ... knock on wood.

The HPP-22 is in the receivers? Since I've purchased my Optima recvrs within the last 18 months .... do I have the latest and greatest?

Thanks
-oD
Old 03-30-2015, 11:53 AM
JohnBuckner

[QUOTE=oliveDrab;12013202

The HPP-22 is in the receivers?

[/QUOTE]

OD no the HPP-22 is the device below and in the first picture I plugged it into the 2.4 module in the back of the transmitter as if updating that module, If updating the A9 transmitter or the Eclipse Pro a different patch chord is plugged from the HPP to the transmitters buddy cord jack, it updating a receiver (Optima 7 or Optima 9, sixes are not home updatable) a different patch cord is plugged from the receiver to the HPP-22. Transmitters, 2.4 modules and receivers are all done separately.

On the other end of the HPP-22 an ordinary cord with a USB plug is plugged to you home computer and the HPP-22 program is downloaded from the Hitec site. It works well and has instruction promts along the way.

John

OD as far as your stuff being current, I would not know that without plugging in the HPP-22. Being it age is fairly recent it not likely a problem but I believe GB has had his module and receivers much longer and possibly out of date. One of our locals who were using some Hitec 2.4 module and receivers with Futaba 9C did have some mystery problems however their receivers were out of date and after I updated for him there has been no more problem.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HPP-22 A.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	2085203   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPP-22.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	2085204